The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Choice Dilemma in Lower Currency Country

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
We do want to spend time overseas to expose ourselves and our kids to other cultures. We've heard good things about Spain so we're spending time there this summer. However, when I go on Idealista and look for homes, the homes I would consider living in if we ever moved there are either about the same or more expensive than the one we have here. Sure, there are other positives about moving, but from a cost of living standpoint, it seems to be about the same. We'll find out this summer.

Spain is not a good idea in the summer. Super hot, extremely touristy, prices will be 2-3x.

What kind of a house would you consider living in? I saw many excellent houses in Spain that cost maybe 500k euros at most and are within 30 minutes from the coast and a big city. Unless you live in a very cheap area of the US, I can't imagine getting a nice house there for this price.

Even if real estate prices are the same (I doubt it), groceries are much cheaper and of much higher quality than in the US (it's very easy to get local, organic produce).

What is your opinion? What countries do you like?

I like developed, wealthy, peaceful and safe countries with high social trust. But specifically for my needs, I also need good weather (warm and sunny year round).

So without the criteria of good weather, I could live in many countries. With this criteria, my only real choices would be Australia, Spain and maaaybe Greece or Portugal (Madeira only), with Australia being far, far ahead of Spain.

Unfortunately, immigrating to Australia is almost impossible these days unless you're a Thai masseuse who doesn't speak any English but has some family members there or unless you want to be a high-skilled wagie (all entrepreneur and investor visa have been recently scrapped).

If I didn't pay so much attention to the climate, then I could also imagine myself living in (I'm speaking only about countries I've visited, and I rarely visit colder countries): Switzerland, Austria, and maybe New Zealand and Slovakia.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Sep 2, 2019
Spain is not a good idea in the summer. Super hot, extremely touristy, prices will be 2-3x.

What kind of a house would you consider living in? I saw many excellent houses in Spain that cost maybe 500k euros at most and are within 30 minutes from the coast and a big city. Unless you live in a very cheap area of the US, I can't imagine getting a nice house there for this price.

Even if real estate prices are the same (I doubt it), groceries are much cheaper and of much higher quality than in the US (it's very easy to get local, organic produce).
Yeah, I've heard it is hot and packed in the summer, so we're going as soon as school is out (the first week of June). We are also trying to stay away from the super touristy areas, but I know the whole country is popular in the summer.

For the house, a modern 4 beds, 3 baths, with a nice backyard, and a pool (we have everything but the modern -exterior- and pool here). I don't remember seeing anything in the €500K range. More like €800K to €1M. But I also didn't know where to look.
And that's what an "upgrade" looks like to me right now, who knows, I may hate the pool. We don't care too much about the beach, we are happy being close to the mountains.
So without the criteria of good weather, I could live in many countries. With this criteria, my only real choices would be Australia, Spain and maaaybe Greece or Portugal (Madeira only), with Australia being far, far ahead of Spain.
We like good weather too. We don't like too much rain or gray skies. Funny that I typed Australia when I was typing a bit ago before changing my answer. They have a somewhat similar lifestyle, I liked it, but I agree with you, it is not easy to move there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.