The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Confused between following my dreams and risk it all and a stable life

forevermiring

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 16, 2023
I know people will tell me oh just follow your dreams, and I used to say that too but now that I have a difficult decision to make I'm confused. To present myself :

I'm 19 years old, I started my journey way when I was 15 yo selling something I shouldn't have been selling as a teenager haha, I read all of Mj de Marco's books in less than 2 months and I have been enlightened.

I live in a poor African country, I go to a great public uni here, ( only good grades go there, it's completely free ) my uncle is very proud that I go there and he wants me to finish my studies so I can work at his company, I lost my dad due to covid im the only man in the house despite my little brother whom I love very much. I got a chance to go to Canada to finish my studies (I don't care I wanna go fast lane but sometimes you gotta do some concessions to get where you wanna get first ) if I go there I will face financial hardship before I become steady, I want to create value there and start something as Canada offers a very good friendly entrepreneur bubble ( more than my country lol we ain't even got Stripe in here ), I will also be very sad because I will leave my family and I will not see them for at least a couple of years, especially my brother he will lack masculinity as im the man of the house and he's still very young and influenceable, he will also terribly miss me and me too. It's probably the hardest part of all this , so to conclude on the one hand I have a steady boring life here and I'll stay broke and live in my mom's house at 25, I'll probably try some of my ideas, I already launched a few businesses and they all failed like I said my country isn't the best entrepreneurial environment ( i take responsibility for my business failures though ), on the other hand, I have an incertitude future in Canada, a developed country, where I could develop myself and my income and help at home, I'll evolve there, I'm confused I don't know what to choose, this is the hardest choice I've ever had to do in my life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
That really is a tough decision to make. Maybe you can write down all of the positive and negative things about both options to help you sort it out more? You could also try using MJ's matrix/score thing (sorry, can't remember what it's called) for making big decisions.

What would your visa situation be like in Canada? Would you be able to visit your family? Would you be able to start a business there? Can you contact current international students in Canada at the university you'd be attending to talk to about their experiences and get more insight? Or perhaps find some other community of international students (e.g., Reddit)?

What other opportunities would you have at home? Would it be worth it for you to live with your mom until you're 25? Would you be able/willing to get a 9-to-5 job to gain more experience and build up your financial situation? What kinds of businesses do well in your country? What were the exact reasons your previous businesses failed? How can your next idea be less likely to fail?

What if you got to Canada and you decided it wasn't working out? What would your options look like then?
What if you stay home and you decide it isn't working out? What would your options look like then?

nopalmer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Feb 7, 2023
You are facing a difficult decision at a very young age, and I have to say that you are handling it very well and maturely. You didn't have it easy, but you are on the right track now. Writing down all the positive and negative things about both options is a great start. Sometimes all it takes is to put your thoughts down on paper and read them. Basically, to see them as words, give them shape. It happened to me many times that I gain a new perspective while writing, and I would get a couple of fresh ideas that somehow I didn't see before. Maybe it sounds simple, but it works. The truth is you are the only one who can make this decision, and the best we can do is offer you another angle of looking at things. Wish you all the best!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I know people will tell me oh just follow your dreams, and I used to say that too but now that I have a difficult decision to make I'm confused. To present myself :

I'm 19 years old, I started my journey way when I was 15 yo selling something I shouldn't have been selling as a teenager haha, I read all of Mj de Marco's books in less than 2 months and I have been enlightened.

I live in a poor African country, I go to a great public uni here, ( only good grades go there, it's completely free ) my uncle is very proud that I go there and he wants me to finish my studies so I can work at his company, I lost my dad due to covid im the only man in the house despite my little brother whom I love very much. I got a chance to go to Canada to finish my studies (I don't care I wanna go fast lane but sometimes you gotta do some concessions to get where you wanna get first ) if I go there I will face financial hardship before I become steady, I want to create value there and start something as Canada offers a very good friendly entrepreneur bubble ( more than my country lol we ain't even got Stripe in here ), I will also be very sad because I will leave my family and I will not see them for at least a couple of years, especially my brother he will lack masculinity as im the man of the house and he's still very young and influenceable, he will also terribly miss me and me too. It's probably the hardest part of all this , so to conclude on the one hand I have a steady boring life here and I'll stay broke and live in my mom's house at 25, I'll probably try some of my ideas, I already launched a few businesses and they all failed like I said my country isn't the best entrepreneurial environment ( i take responsibility for my business failures though ), on the other hand, I have an incertitude future in Canada, a developed country, where I could develop myself and my income and help at home, I'll evolve there, I'm confused I don't know what to choose, this is the hardest choice I've ever had to do in my life.
Sorry to hear about what happened to your dad.

Tough decision but you need to do what is best for yourself which is also will what is best for the family.

Only your success will bring hope to the family.

Save one person at a time first.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
If your family will be cared for without you, I’d say go abroad. It will broaden your horizons and help you in your future endeavors.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.