The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a service based business if I don’t have the skill myself?

Anything related to matters of the mind

RamboCambo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 13, 2022
Hi community.

I feel like I have so many ideas but I’m always held back by the belief that I have to execute the idea myself or create the product myself, or I need a lot of money to get it going. I’d like to believe this is false.

I was watching a video by Noah Kagan (not sure what people’s thoughts are of him on the forum), but he makes a ergonomic desk setup business, but he can’t even do the setup himself. Can you make a business, say for example a plumbing business, without being a plumber (or know how to do the skill yourself) yourself, or without having lots of money?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RamboCambo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 13, 2022
Hi community.

I feel like I have so many ideas but I’m always held back by the belief that I have to execute the idea myself or create the product myself, or I need a lot of money to get it going. I’d like to believe this is false.

I was watching a video by Noah Kagan (not sure what people’s thoughts are of him on the forum), but he makes a ergonomic desk setup business, but he can’t even do the setup himself. Can you make a business, say for example a plumbing business, without being a plumber (or know how to do the skill yourself) yourself, or without having lots of money?
I’ve done some lurking myself and this seems to answer the question indirectly. In short, yes it is possible. GOLD! - MARKETING - CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

DWX

Getting on with it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 19, 2015
UK
I think in that video Noah was demonstrating how uncomplicated starting a million-dollar business can be.

IMO if you don't know the skill (and/or have little knowledge in the field), then you'll undoubtedly need to hire people.

Hiring people requires money.

And if front-loading that capital is not possible for you, then you really only have two options.

1. Learn the skill and sell to clients/customers yourself (which will, in turn, give you invaluable experience if you were to set up an agency down the line) OR...

2. Be a referrer and charge a commission on all work sent to businesses/people selling the service.

Again, just my opinion.

Perhaps there is a third way, but that's unfortunately outside of my well of knowledge.

Best of luck.

Bing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Aug 5, 2011
1. Learn the skill and sell to clients/customers yourself (which will, in turn, give you invaluable experience if you were to set up an agency down the line) OR...

2. Be a referrer and charge a commission on all work sent to businesses/people selling the service.

I would add that partnering with someone who already has the skill(s) is option #3. Of course you still have to bring something to the table to justify your equity (capital, network, distribution, marketing/sales).

My business partner and myself are 50/50, when we started he put up a (relatively small) amount of capital, I built the product (SaaS from ground zero) and he handled "everything else". Roles have adjusted a bit over the years, but the basis remains still the same; he still hasn't written any code for the product, but he does manage the infrastructure, payroll, etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.