The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Designing a product

Idea threads

mrski

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 19, 2024
So i've got an idea to improve an existing product, but I don't know I would go about manufacturing it in the first place. Is just sketching it on paper enough or do i have to use some 3d modeling app to create it? I can't find any clear answers on google, does anyone have experience with creating products

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
After you have done your due diligence, making sure your improvement has not been done before, you should begin prototyping. It doesn't matter how crappy the prototype is, just get a prototype. There are a few types of beneficial prototypes. The early prototype might focus on either functionality or design. When you start building your prototype, you will start finding flaws in your initial design, and then you can start to improve the prototype.

It sounds like a physical product, I am assuming? What cheap products can you use to build your prototype? You say you want to improve on an existing product, can you buy the existing product and make your improvements to the product and save yourself time and money building the prototype?

Personally, I have built multiple prototypes out of PVC pipe, cardboard, and wood. At some point, other various methods of prototyping can be used including 3D modeling and 3D printing.

If you need to start using 3D modeling software, I started with the most basic and beginner-friendly web-based software called TinkerCad. It's also free.

There are many steps and multiple paths to bringing your product to market. The two most common are licensing and venturing.

I suggest you join our Inventors Virtual Meetup call today/tomorrow(depending on your timezone as of writing this).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.