The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does money actually buy happiness? (Finding the real answer)

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Jasper_

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jun 6, 2023
Hey Fastlaners,

For the past couple of months, I have been researching the connection and mysteries behind the infamous money-happiness relation and have summarised my most interesting and useful findings for you guys. (All the important stuff is in bold so you can skim through, but I suggest you read through)
Will making our fortune leave us any happier? Is it even worth pursuing more money or should we just be content with what we have? These are the questions that I am digging into and finding the real answers, rather than just settling for the vague comments that we see online saying that rich people are miserable.

Throughout this thread I have summarised the hours of research I have done for my high school research project and I’m looking to get the highest grade in my cohort.

The power of social comparison.
Social comparison plays a huge role and can determine the happiness we get from our income. 2 people could receive the exact same paycheck but the people they compare themselves too can determine whether that makes them happy or sad.

Thankfully, for us high-striving individuals, we can use this to our advantage. Comparing your income to those wealthier than you can be detrimental to your happiness, but it can also be the greatest motivation to increase your income and yourself as a person. So it turns out that the quote “You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with” is actually true.

Our expectations are also another thing that we can leverage to gain an increase in income. Do you ever wonder why the people who make millions are also the ones who are the most eager and motivated to make more, even though they clearly don’t need it.

I have found that it is not level of income that determines your motivation to earn, but your goals and expectations for where you want to be, and who you compare yourself too.

“Rich people are more deprived of money than poor people because they compare themselves to richer people than poor people do.”
Alex Hormozi

Are richer countries happier?
Yes, they are indeed. After comparing the GDP per capita with happiness of 135 countries around the world I’ve found that GDP and happiness do have a strong correlation. Which means income does have some effect on whether people are happy or not.
1712209310145.png

Does more money actually result in more happiness?
From what I have found so far it is clear that money diminishes unhappiness up unto a point around an income of $80k USD. This does not necessarily mean that it creates more happiness, it just provides people with the ability to buffer stress and deal with things in life that make them less happy.

Most effective ways to increase your happiness.
If making boat loads of cash isn’t certain to make you super happy, then here are some things that are.

- Getting deep sleep 80% of the time.
- Getting exposure to the right amount of light throughout the day. (Bright light in morning and dim in afternoon)
- Quality nutrition.
- Social interactions (even small insignificant interactions such as exchanging a hello).
- Interactions with pets.
- Being present and focused on your current task.
- Having meaningful work.

The final answer!
Even after all my research I have found hints to suggest the correlation of money and happiness, and various things you can do to make more money and be happier.
There is just one more thing I need to complete my research to seal the deal on whether money really can buy happiness. And that is real world data.

Here is where I need some help from you, the Fastlane Forum. I have created a very short anonymous survey which takes about 40 seconds to complete, and to get the highest grade on my project I need as many answers as I can get.

If you could take a short moment to answer this, it would mean the world to me. Feel free to DM me any questions you have about the topic, and I will give you my best answers. With enough help from this awesome forum, we can once and for all answer the question of whether money really does buy happiness.

My short survey: Microsoft Forms

Thank you everyone for making it this far. Please be sure to add your opinions and personal experience to this thread. I will be sure to update this with more of my best findings as I continue my research.
- Jasper.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
With enough money you can get rid of the chains and have “financial freedom” that means different escape for different people.

You got rid of things that control you.

For the super rich who are also power hungry money is an important tool used in seeking control.

At the end of the days it is very much a game of “control”.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
My take:

I think it can remove a lot of suffering and it can increase frequency of moments of temporarily heightened pleasure.

I do not think it can buy true happiness unless you are a very materialistically minded person and even then it would only be up until you start to age to the point you can't really make use of it meaningfully.

EliaR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jan 5, 2024
Hey Fastlaners,

For the past couple of months, I have been researching the connection and mysteries behind the infamous money-happiness relation and have summarised my most interesting and useful findings for you guys. (All the important stuff is in bold so you can skim through, but I suggest you read through)
Will making our fortune leave us any happier? Is it even worth pursuing more money or should we just be content with what we have? These are the questions that I am digging into and finding the real answers, rather than just settling for the vague comments that we see online saying that rich people are miserable.

Throughout this thread I have summarised the hours of research I have done for my high school research project and I’m looking to get the highest grade in my cohort.

The power of social comparison.
Social comparison plays a huge role and can determine the happiness we get from our income. 2 people could receive the exact same paycheck but the people they compare themselves too can determine whether that makes them happy or sad.

Thankfully, for us high-striving individuals, we can use this to our advantage. Comparing your income to those wealthier than you can be detrimental to your happiness, but it can also be the greatest motivation to increase your income and yourself as a person. So it turns out that the quote “You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with” is actually true.

Our expectations are also another thing that we can leverage to gain an increase in income. Do you ever wonder why the people who make millions are also the ones who are the most eager and motivated to make more, even though they clearly don’t need it.

I have found that it is not level of income that determines your motivation to earn, but your goals and expectations for where you want to be, and who you compare yourself too.

“Rich people are more deprived of money than poor people because they compare themselves to richer people than poor people do.”
Alex Hormozi

Are richer countries happier?
Yes, they are indeed. After comparing the GDP per capita with happiness of 135 countries around the world I’ve found that GDP and happiness do have a strong correlation. Which means income does have some effect on whether people are happy or not.
View attachment 55178

Does more money actually result in more happiness?
From what I have found so far it is clear that money diminishes unhappiness up unto a point around an income of $80k USD. This does not necessarily mean that it creates more happiness, it just provides people with the ability to buffer stress and deal with things in life that make them less happy.

Most effective ways to increase your happiness.
If making boat loads of cash isn’t certain to make you super happy, then here are some things that are.

- Getting deep sleep 80% of the time.
- Getting exposure to the right amount of light throughout the day. (Bright light in morning and dim in afternoon)
- Quality nutrition.
- Social interactions (even small insignificant interactions such as exchanging a hello).
- Interactions with pets.
- Being present and focused on your current task.
- Having meaningful work.

The final answer!
Even after all my research I have found hints to suggest the correlation of money and happiness, and various things you can do to make more money and be happier.
There is just one more thing I need to complete my research to seal the deal on whether money really can buy happiness. And that is real world data.

Here is where I need some help from you, the Fastlane Forum. I have created a very short anonymous survey which takes about 40 seconds to complete, and to get the highest grade on my project I need as many answers as I can get.

If you could take a short moment to answer this, it would mean the world to me. Feel free to DM me any questions you have about the topic, and I will give you my best answers. With enough help from this awesome forum, we can once and for all answer the question of whether money really does buy happiness.

My short survey: Microsoft Forms

Thank you everyone for making it this far. Please be sure to add your opinions and personal experience to this thread. I will be sure to update this with more of my best findings as I continue my research.
- Jasper.
I think it depends on the person.

Some person that is rich may be fulfilled from having a lot of freedom because it's a principle they consider sacred.

Another person might be fulfilled from hard work with people in need because they consider their work sacred.

cikatomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jan 7, 2014
Great Land of Canada
Personal story: I have lost my very best friend because I was stupid and I am very sad because of it.

NO MONEY in this world will bring our friendship back.

But, If I have money I could fly to the city and stay in hotel for a week, try to at least fix it somehow.

I don't believe money can buy true happiness, but it can buy lot of practical things to make your day to day life easier. Provided you are not paying the price in stress more than it's worth it.

Money is a tool. Only that.

Jasper_

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jun 6, 2023
Personal story: I have lost my very best friend because I was stupid and I am very sad because of it.

NO MONEY in this world will bring our friendship back.

But, If I have money I could fly to the city and stay in hotel for a week, try to at least fix it somehow.

I don't believe money can buy true happiness, but it can buy lot of practical things to make your day to day life easier. Provided you are not paying the price in stress more than it's worth it.

Money is a tool. Only that.
Very true that money is just a tool that can help people in certain ways.
There are some holes that any amount of money cannot fill. It can do many things to make your life easier but money can only do so much to mend mental traumas and things that have happened in the past.

Jasper_

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jun 6, 2023
I think it depends on the person.

Some person that is rich may be fulfilled from having a lot of freedom because it's a principle they consider sacred.

Another person might be fulfilled from hard work with people in need because they consider their work sacred.
I agree.
Anyone can be happy or sad with any amount of money in their bank account.
I heard from Mark Cuban that someone who is happy when they are broke is sure to be happy when they're rich too. And I'm sure it probably applies for people who are sad too.
I think it's more about what you derive from your money, rather than how much you make.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.