The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don’t waste time learning HTML, do this instead

The business of web design

nickalden

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 5, 2020
indonesia
I feel that most people that stumble across @Fox ‘s thread about Web Design as a side hustle immediately goes to “learn” HTML and gives up soon after.

learning HTML to build websites (especially for beginners) is really inefficient

The learning curve is pretty high. For someone without any prior knowledge, it takes so much time messing around to even build their first “site”.

( *cough* a template with the title and pictures changed )

To customize it further, you gotta learn CSS which is a whole other beast. it’ll take months to grasp the basics

that doesnt include speed optimization, caching

and the only type of sites you’re able to make are company profiles and one pagers. no ecom

Learn wordpress. Use elementor. In a day a site is done. Create more value in a shorter period of time.

Businesses (SME’s) won’t give a shit if their site is running with html wordpress php or even wix. They need presence. They need customers. Sales.

So better learn the most powerful and efficient tool, ESPECIALLY if you’re just starting out and have no clue. (learn how to setup a wordpress site with elementor)

No disrespect to you @Fox , thank you really. Your threads allowed me to start my journey. Yet, I wish i had spent my time learning other things. Never touching html again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
I feel that most people that stumble across @Fox ‘s thread about Web Design as a side hustle immediately goes to “learn” HTML and gives up soon after.

learning HTML to build websites (especially for beginners) is really inefficient

The learning curve is pretty high. For someone without any prior knowledge, it takes so much time messing around to even build their first “site”.

To customize it further, you gotta learn CSS which is a whole other beast. it’ll take months to grasp the basics

and the only type of sites you’re able to make are company profiles and one pagers. no ecom

Learn wordpress. Use elementor. In a day a site is done. Create more value in a shorter period of time.

Businesses (SME’s) won’t give a shit if their site is running with html wordpress php or even wix. They need presence. They need customers. Sales.

So better learn the most powerful and efficient tool, ESPECIALLY if you’re just starting out and have no clue. (learn how to setup a wordpress site with elementor)

No disrespect to you @Fox , thank you really. Your threads allowed me to start my journey. Yet, I wish i had spent my time learning other things. Never touching html again.

Are your students more successful than his?

nickalden

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 5, 2020
indonesia
Are your students more successful than his?
I’m not a guru and I’m sure he does a really good job teaching. Even I was able to learn a lot from just reading his threads. I’m bringing this up from the perspective of someone who tried to learn HTML web design (with previous HTML/CSS/JS and python programming knowledge) and spent a month or two messing around with tutorials and templates getting no real valuable work done.

I’m just saying that there is a faster and more efficient way to help businesses as newbs!

nickalden

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 5, 2020
indonesia
I’m open to people who disagree. What do you think is the fastest way for someone to start in web design? Some of my friends wanted to learn from me, so I’m open to other ideas/methods. The ones that worked for me is just simple learn how to setup a hosting, plug in WP, customize, done!

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I’m not a guru and I’m sure he does a really good job teaching. Even I was able to learn a lot from just reading his threads. I’m bringing this up from the perspective of someone who tried to learn HTML web design (with previous HTML/CSS/JS and python programming knowledge) and spent a month or two messing around with tutorials and templates getting no real valuable work done.

I’m just saying that there is a faster and more efficient way to help businesses as newbs!
You're not learning to program or build websites from scratch. You're simply editing existing templates. You're not just building websites, you are offering a solution (sales) using web design as a tool. I think you don't really understand what he is teaching.

This is the problem a lot of people have. They think they are selling web design or copywriting. But they fail to understand you are using those as tools to solve a business need. The ones who understand this are able to cut through the competition.

MexicanCreator48

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 14, 2022
Mexico
I’m open to people who disagree. What do you think is the fastest way for someone to start in web design? Some of my friends wanted to learn from me, so I’m open to other ideas/methods. The ones that worked for me is just simple learn how to setup a hosting, plug in WP, customize, done!
I'm currently learning full-stack web development in The Odin Project and in there you learn about HTML, CSS, Javascript (even the back-end if you choose) or Ruby (if you choose it instead of JS). The learning curve might be intimidating for some people but you can get projects done quickly and as far as I'm going, it is a really nice experience. I recommend you taking this course.

Best of luck out there! :)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
691%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
So a few things here since my original thread is years old at this stage...

- When people first start I think its much more important to give as much (if not more) attention to the business/sales side of things. Basically learn WHY people buy websites - then learn to build what they want.

- With coding you don't need to learn much - there are a lot of great systems nowadays (like web flow)

- I do recommend learning some HTML though to just know the basics of how a website actually works

- Same with CSS, knowing a bit of the basics can help a lot later in many ways

- No need to learn advanced languages unless you feel like doing that

The bottom line is you are going to sell 100 times better knowing the business/sales side and not knowing ANY code than you would being advanced at coding but you can't sell.

nickalden

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 5, 2020
indonesia
So a few things here since my original thread is years old at this stage...

- When people first start I think its much more important to give as much (if not more) attention to the business/sales side of things. Basically learn WHY people buy websites - then learn to build what they want.

- With coding you don't need to learn much - there are a lot of great systems nowadays (like web flow)

- I do recommend learning some HTML though to just know the basics of how a website actually works

- Same with CSS, knowing a bit of the basics can help a lot later in many ways

- No need to learn advanced languages unless you feel like doing that

The bottom line is you are going to sell 100 times better knowing the business/sales side and not knowing ANY code than you would being advanced at coding but you can't sell.
agree with this 100%

web designers are dime a dozen. go on upwork, fiverr, or a local fb group and you’d find great work for under $100.

you should understand the basics (setting up hosting etc) and start selling asap.

massive thanks @Fox

the problem is that usually beginners are not confident in selling their sites cus they don’t know how to make it. so, they spend days stuck in HTML. WP, webflow, wix makes this process soooo much faster and lets u gain more confidence

Leo Hartas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 17, 2018
United Kingdom
I fell into this trap, trying to learn html and css then switched to Wordpress with the Elegant Themes Divi Theme. I only need to build and maintain a couple of sites, so from a business point of view it really wasn't worth learning to code. Divi is a sort of half way house that gives more control than the out of the box Wordpress. Can't say I enjoy doing it though, like designing with rubber bands!

nickalden

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 5, 2020
indonesia
I fell into this trap, trying to learn html and css then switched to Wordpress with the Elegant Themes Divi Theme. I only need to build and maintain a couple of sites, so from a business point of view it really wasn't worth learning to code. Divi is a sort of half way house that gives more control than the out of the box Wordpress. Can't say I enjoy doing it though, like designing with rubber bands!
Yeah tbh designing is not fun for me too, but being able to really helps esp when you couple it with digital marketing (fb ads/g ads/etc)

Velo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Nov 25, 2020

I don't think anybody "codes" in HTML in 2022 anyway...it's all some website builder like WP/Shopify/Wix or React/Angular/Ruby/some JS stack. HTML/CSS is like 1990 era.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
It depends on what you want to do with HTML.

HTML is worth learning if you want to be a developer (IE you make websites do fancy things like process data, fetch APIs, and whatever demonic shit Google does behind the scenes).

I buy HTML templates from WordPress Themes & Website Templates from ThemeForest and I modify them to work with Django. It's useful for me to know HTML so that I can tweak the web pages.

Just don't build your own templates - buy them instead.

tb9803

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 6, 2022

Thanks for the pointers Nick, I'm 3 days in and this has helped a lot. Also for learning Web Squadron on YouTube has helped quite a bit as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.