The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't Burn Bridges In Business

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Just had an interesting series of events happen.

A while back I had a locksmith client. He was a PAIN. Like inappropriate text messages about politics at 11 pm kind of pain. Make a long story short, I had to fire him. I did it gently. Respectfully. But it had to be done.

That was December 2018.

This past Sunday I got 3 calls from a business number I don't recognize. Dude left a message saying a friend of mine told him he had to work with me. I called Monday morning, we chatted briefly. I asked which friend of mine referred him. He told me it was a locksmith who came out immediately and helped him out when he locked his keys in his car. I've only known one locksmith, and I know his preferred route, so I ask was it close to cross streets X and Y? Yes it was. Exactly.

I told him I'd do my research and we set a 2nd meeting to go over the plan and results.

But the guy doesn't stop texting. He tells me the locksmith raved about my work and he had to work with me. He doesn't want to wait until Monday's meetings. How much will it cost to work together?

At this point I am thinking this guy migt be be a hassle. But he is just like any other business owner who is facing hard times and worried his business is heading under. I usually like those kinds of projects. Even though I hadn't done my normal research yet, I had a ballpark figure in my head of a starting fee.

Because of the potential hassle, I tacked on 50% and texted him the number. He asked for an invoice yesterday. Paid it today.

I got a new premium client today because over 4 years ago I did a good job for someone, was respectful in how I needed to end the relationship, and apparently that person still speaks highly of me.

Don't burn your bridges Fastlane Fam.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

A while back I had a locksmith client. He was a PAIN. Like inappropriate text messages about politics at 11 pm kind of pain. Make a long story short, I had to fire him. I did it gently. Respectfully. But it had to be done.

That was December 2018.

This past Sunday I got 3 calls from a business number I don't recognize. Dude left a message saying a friend of mine told him he had to work with me. I called Monday morning, we chatted briefly. I asked which friend of mine referred him. He told me it was a locksmith that helped him out when he locked his keys in his car. I've only known one locksmith, so...

I told him I'd do my research and we set a 2nd meeting to go over the plan and results.

But the guy doesn't stop texting. He tells me the locksmith raved about my work and he had to work with me. He doesn't want to wait until Monday's meetings. How much will it cost to work together?

At this point I am thinking this guy migt be be a hassle. But he is just like any other business owner who is facing hard times and worried his business is heading under. I usually like those kinds of projects. Even though I hadn't done my normal research yet, I had a ballpark figure in my head of a starting fee.

Because of the potential hassle, I tacked on 50% and texted him the number. He asked for an invoice yesterday. Paid it today.

I got a new premium client today because over 4 years ago I did a good job for someone, was respectful in how I needed to end the relationship, and apparently that person still speaks highly of me.

I imagine people we treat badly also remember and say so years later. Might as well do good by people and have the invisible hand working for you not against you.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

FluidWater

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 30, 2023

That was December 2018.

This past Sunday I got 3 calls from a business number I don't recognize. Dude left a message saying a friend of mine told him he had to work with me. I called Monday morning, we chatted briefly. I asked which friend of mine referred him. He told me it was a locksmith that helped him out when he locked his keys in his car. I've only known one locksmith, so...

Awesome story.

Reminds me of the concept of weak and strong ties. And how weak ties in business/job applications are more important that strong ties.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Oct 7, 2019