The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From $1/hour to the Last Pistol: My Journey to Survive as a Mobile App Developer

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

masiyas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
667%
Mar 22, 2023
First of all, I have heartfelt appreciation and gratitude for MJ and all of this forum contributors for your continued eye-opening insights and helpful answers in the discussions.

my story begins,

one of the really hard things in life is accepting and living that everything seems fine on the surface but inside it is burning like a hell, knowing that by only location difference, someone’s one month salary is yours 4-year and 8-month worth of salary, this is only true if you do not use not even a dime for those 4 years and 8 months of worth of time from the salary. I dare you, everyone, how will be your day-to-day life if this is not a story in a thread to read but a life to live, the sad story is this is my life.

I had a puzzle to solve, I was working for a company as a software engineer(Mobile App Developer) in the financial sector in East Africa, here in our country, the job is very underrated … believe it or not, my monthly salary is a mere $250, and I work 8 hours a day, sometimes more when there is a deadline. ( imagine yourself waking up every single day to work a $1/hour job). As much as that hurt me, and hurts deeply inside my soul, I said enough is enough and search every corner of the internet to find a place where to reside but not to be a visitor, that’s where I discovered MJ’s book and this forum.

Long story short, I quit my job and tirelessly scoured the internet for remote positions on websites like Indeed, Upwork, freelance, Angle list, and LinkedIn, telegram groups, and also try to connect with people on LinkedIn and ask them about any remote positions, and also sending my resume for those who left their emails out there in the internet I send them an email. I sent my resume to every single website that I could find on the internet but no one replies. Seriously no one. Sometimes it feels like no matter how hard we try, we just can't seem to catch a break.

I have successfully built 3 production apps. The first one is an easy way to pay businesses through QR code payment, the second one is a validator app to validate tickets for every attendee, and finally, the third one is a merchant app that allows people to run their businesses by using only their phone, anywhere and anytime in our country. here are the links

Chapa Merchant - Apps on Google Play
Chapa - Pay anywhere - Apps on Google Play
Chapa Events - Scan tickets - Apps on Google Play

My ultimate goal is to build my own business. there are a lot of problems to fix in my country so as MJ states by providing real value to my community. but before that, I must get some amount of money in order to survive, I'm writing this, not asking for general advice but to feel my situation and give me your insights to correct things that I did wrong or the best ways to get a mobile developer position (flutter Developer).

I know this is a fastlane business forum and it is not right to ask this kind of question, but really what would you do if you are in a war with one pistol left to pull the trigger? I am at war with life and this forum may be the last pistol to pull.

If there were an option to show my appreciation, I would gladly take it, as I am very grateful to all of you who take the time to respond to this thread. Your responses will be immensely helpful to me, and I thank you for the respect that you show me by sharing your insights.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Oct 1, 2018
Milan, Italy
In terms of business advice, the best I can give you is to not give up and keep trying, there's no shame in working a job while you grow your online presence, you can quit your day job once your online takes off.

On another note, I was looking for a developer to finish a personal project I had started years ago and never finished, perhaps I could be your first customer?

When I started this project in 2018 I hired a developer from Nigeria (who was only 23) that I discovered on a Discord server. He, like you, only had a handful of finished works on his portfolio but that was enough for me.
Ultimately, different customers will choose different people for different reasons. What make you stand out above the rest?
For example, your English is very good, that was something I found extremely valuable as a customer.

masiyas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
667%
Mar 22, 2023
I am glad to hear from you, and thanks again for taking the time to respond to me.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.