The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going from Prototype to Mass Manufacture?

messianic

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 22, 2010
I have finished a prototype for a consumer product that I think will have a great market. I have already filed a patent for the prototype.

How do I make the leap from where I am to getting the product mass manufactured by an automated factory process? My product should be pretty easy to develop. It just involves several metal objects and a few other things arranged a certain way. How much would it cost to get an automated factory made? Who should I talk to abou tthis? Industrial design engineers?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Kinda hard to say without more details about the product -- have you thought about licensing your patent to an existing company? Then you'd just earn a royalty on the patent for a lifetime and wouldn't have to worry about manufacturing ... obviously not as profitable but it can be very lucrative and 100% passive.

messianic

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 22, 2010
How much would the royalty be? What percent of total profits?

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Welcome to the forum Messianic! There is loads of information about inventions/licensing nestled away in this forum. All you really need to do is use the search function, use the tag clouds, and google.

How much would the royalty be? What percent of total profits?

Not everyone has the answer, (Not saying that MJ doesn't have the answer) but not everything is handed to you in life. You must find out and learn things yourself. The process of searching for the answer is where a person learns the most.

Once Again Welcome and Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SweetJones

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
May 1, 2009
A few tips that might come in handy.

1.) Make sure your financing is in order before plunging all the way into manufacturing/packaging. You do not want to begin your project without getting your costs and realizing halfway through that your unable to realize a finished product.

2.) Running to China is not always cheaper or convenient. Unlike US companies, they do not offer payment plans, sorry, you'll be very very VERY hard pressed to find a foreign company who will offer payment plans of some sort. You can find manufacturers in the U.S who are just as cheap with an obviously faster turn around time and payment plan. Win Win.

You know, I could offer more help, but it looks like you have a lot of your own homework to do before you could get some meaningful answers.

If possible, I recommend owning your tooling. This goes back to a sort of fastlane path this community strongly emphasizes. Owning/Control.

Look at it this way. Suppose I'm your manufacturer and I tell you I can make your product. Firstly, I have to create the tooling/mold/equipment that will create your product. Say, it costs me $10,000 and I'll make your item @ $5 a piece. Well, definitely on your first order I have to recur the initial $10k and then realize profit.

Scenario two, you can have a tool made for you (specialty shops etc) and purchase it at the same $10k and it's yours to keep. The advantage is here, you can now have your product made for $3 as opposed to the $5.

See, if you leave everything to the manufacturer they determine what you pay, and if you paid that $5 in the beginning, what is the chance they'll ever lower their price to $3? Never. They know you are willing and able to pay $5 so that $2 will forever be there's if not more, for the span of your business dealings with them.

If you start to push orders in higher volumes, you can see that is a lot of money left on the table.

They key is, splitting up that control, shifting the position of power a bit to your favor too. You don't own a factory so the best thing you can do is at least own the tools that make your product.

Now, to get to bed, it's 3.30am. Yikes. Hope my response helps you in some way.

+METHOS

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 1, 2010
As PhxMJ suggests, I would recommend licensing by way of an existing company. Although, not all companies accept submissions from third-party product developers, there are some that do - making the entire process (with exception to the idea/sale sheet etc.) hands-free for the inventor. Even the patent process (application/filing, search & fees etc.) can be handled and payed for at no initial cost to you (while listing you as the inventor) - although, most times, you will pay this amount back as it will be deducted from your royalty checks until it is paid off.

Typically, the going rate (to be received through royalty payments) for product developers that submit this way is between 3%-5% (of net profits). However, I have 'heard', that, as much as 10% can be achieved via a 'certain, particular/popular' online submission company.

Although 5% doesn't seem like much, you must heavily consider the time, work and money (especially money) that you will be saving in the process.

Get used to having a non-disclosure agreement handy before ANY exchange of idea/concept etc. They can be downloaded from the internet - and may vary by your State of residence etc.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.