The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I bootstrap and MVP?

Idea threads

random111

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 8, 2023
Context - I am a part owner operator of two service based businesses, don't work in the businesses on a daily basis but support behind the scenes with marketing, admin, staff etc.
I have a network of 40+ other service businesses in my immediate circles of family and close friends.
Both my businesses and my network's spend a lot of money on marketing.
My idea will help decrease this spend and produce higher quality leads.
I have been validating using a scrappy email and spreadsheet system in one of my businesses, a dental practice and so far there are the following validations:
- been trialling the idea in a very contained fashion, max 30 times over a 2.5 week period
- 100% uptake by patients to be involved and support
- 1 lead which was converted and produced $150 in income for the business
- 30 patients are now advocating for and incentivised to support my business

I am now at a point where I want to create a seriously barebones digital solution that effectively replaces the scrappy system I have to:
- validate customers will signup / engage with an online platform
- continue to generate leads
- the system is easy to leverage by the business
- continue trialling with current business, then build a v2 which I can trial with another 3-5, a v3 which I can push to a further 5-10 - all of whom I have lined up and ready to go

I do not have a coding background (although a lifetime ago I did complete a computer science degree) and have played with some no-code tools but it will take me way too long to learn - I also have a job that consumes me for 60-80 hours a week.
I have posted a job on upwork - but unsure on the reliability here, developers seem to want to over-engineer things to be idealistic, create scalable code etc - but to me we haven't proven enough yet
I think no-code tools seem great as an option to get a scrappy v1 up for very few $ but not many developers on upwork are aligned.
Any advice or guidance on how I push on?
Are there any founders on here who faced a similar challenge that could provide insight?
Are there any people on here that can help?
Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
@random111 Look for a Wordpress developer on one of the freelance platforms to build it for you.
Wordpress is your best no-code option for building something that is dynamic and flexible enough to be a final product, if your MVP gets adoption.

You can custom-code features down the line (if needed), with no major limitations. If you make it to the point where the limitations of Wordpress become an issue, then that's a great place to be.

random111

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 8, 2023
@random111 Look for a Wordpress developer on one of the freelance platforms to build it for you.
Wordpress is your best no-code option for building something that is dynamic and flexible enough to be a final product, if your MVP gets adoption.

You can custom-code features down the line (if needed), with no major limitations. If you make it to the point where the limitations of Wordpress become an issue, then that's a great place to be.
Thank you!
That's is helpful and I had not considered wordpress when thinking through this, despite my current websites all being wordpress!!

BlackRabbit3PL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 6, 2023
Houston & Los Angeles
Yup, I second that notion. Wordpress is behind some major sites and really is one of the gold standards. It's abilities are endless and can accomplish basically anything you want. There are many low cost widgets and plugins within its ecosystem that are relatively easy to use. Any agency uses wordpress/drupal or any of the major wysiwyg based CMS.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
www.blackrabbit3pl.com

Last edited:

random111

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 8, 2023
Yup, I second that notion. Wordpress is behind some major sites and really is one of the gold standards. It's abilities are endless and can accomplish basically anything you want. There are many low cost widgets and plugins within its ecosystem that are relatively easy to use. Any agency uses wordpress/drupal or any of the major wysiwyg based CMS.
thank you!
Exploring the option!

BlackRabbit3PL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 6, 2023
Houston & Los Angeles
thank you!
Exploring the option!
My pleasure! For example, I used wordpress for my site www.blackrabbit3pl.com. I did this myself since I only needed something that was clean and functional since I don't have products. When everything was said and done it was next to nothing.

But if you've got 10-50k to spend, developers can blow your socks off.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
www.blackrabbit3pl.com

Last edited:

random111

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 8, 2023
My pleasure! For example, I used wordpress for my site www.blackrabbit3pl.com. I did this myself since I only needed something that was clean and functional since I don't have products. When everything was said and done it was next to nothing.

But if you've got 10-50k to spend, developers can blow your socks off.
Definitely do not have anywhere near that cash to splash at this very early stage!

random111

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 8, 2023

How and when would you think about mobile app environment?

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
How and when would you think about mobile app environment?

Hard to say, without knowing what exactly your service does.

In many scenarios, if you use WordPress, you can have a native Android and or iOS app version of it set up. And for less than $50, in a few days. Yeah, 50 bucks. I have an Android version of one of those, for an entertainment content-only site I own. I paid $35 on fiverr, to have it done. It was well done.

The app itself is a native Android app shell which delivers the responsive mobile version of your WordPress site in its frame. So basically, whatever you can do on the site can be done in the app. I've seen even airlines (budget ones :)) use mobile apps that are essentially that.

If all you need is for users to have convenient access to your service via a branded app, then this will work.
If your service/business outgrows this solution, then once again, that's a great problem to have.

random111

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 8, 2023
Hard to say, without knowing what exactly your service does.

In many scenarios, if you use WordPress, you can have a native Android and or iOS app version of it set up. And for less than $50, in a few days. Yeah, 50 bucks. I have an Android version of one of those, for an entertainment content-only site I own. I paid $35 on fiverr, to have it done. It was well done.

The app itself is a native Android app shell which delivers the responsive mobile version of your WordPress site in its frame. So basically, whatever you can do on the site can be done in the app. I've seen even airlines (budget ones :)) use mobile apps that are essentially that.

If all you need is for users to have convenient access to your service via a branded app, then this will work.
If your service/business outgrows this solution, then once again, that's a great problem to have.
Thank you
That's so helpful!
Absolutely agree re nice problem to have and not trying to over-engineer something / get ahead of myself but trying to find the balance of laying foundations that are leverageable over the next 12-24 months

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.