The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you research the NEED?

Idea threads

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia
How do you know many people have the same problem and if its worth solving? id love any tool reccomendations

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 28, 2022
How do you know many people have the same problem and if its worth solving? id love any tool reccomendations
pick a niche and start asking what's the problem on that niche.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Reviews are a good way, look at the one, two and three star reviews for a product or service and you'll quickly see if there is a common complaint which you can solve.

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 29, 2021
Not a tool, but this might help-

piano

Em7(add13) to Fmaj7sus2.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Heya!
I picked window washing as a side hustle and I found out by just doing, asking (d2d), etc. You can take a look at my window cleaning thread, especially the newer posts should be of help.
So do I have a need? Heck yeah, everybody needs their windows done, not just that, but I'm literally getting APPROACHED by people on the street because they see my equip.
So yeah, just start doing and asking, maybe run ads (or stand on the street with equipment lmfao)

id love any tool reccomendations
I've heard the Moerman Excelerator 2.0 is supposed to be really good. Really pricy but I think I'll get it soon.

Tibi42

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 8, 2023
Getting a job, keyword research, trend analysis, trustpilot reviews, ibisworld reports, solving your own problems, common sense, etc.

So I found this website called complaintboard.com and was perusing the complaints on there and found this one that stuck out to me.

It was a lady who relied on a cpap for her oxygen to sleep. I read her complaint and immediately felt sorry for her because of the company she relied on, Lincare, had such poor customer service according to her. They had miscoordonated her rental of a cpap machine (she was traveling from another state to Southwest Florida, consequently where I reside), were rude to her even though they messed up and on top of it her husband had to drive 50 miles to fetch a new breathing tube for her cpap.

In my 5 minutes of immersion into this ladies complaint I looked up Lincare (brick and mortar) buisiness thats pretty prominent here in Florida that rents out medical devices. This lead me to research how to start a medical device rental business with the goal of providing better customer service.

What I learned was you can either be a supplier that participates in the governments medicaid program (control issue here as the goverment decides how much you can charge for rentals of medical devices and whether or not you get paid) and as a result more and more of these suppliers opt-out of accepting medicaid which then moves the costs of renting medical devices to consumers who have to pay out of pocket.

Now understanding all of this and processing the information I thought well can this be possible (it has scale and magnitude), there is some need here right, its healthcare, but can I do it without having a brick and mortar, meaning just having an online store and then setting up some kind of delivery service to peoples homes and managing the whole process from start to finish. Then I thought this doesnt seem like a hands off type business and that it would require me to work because I would have to stay on top of compliance issues and the nature of healthcare in general. Then on top of it is there any upfront cost to starting this business other than just setting up an online e-com site and loading it up with a manufacturers list of DMEs (durable medical devices) and setting up an LLC etc.

Finally I dont mean to be negative here but more practical in that I read an article about the governments increase in taxes on small businesses (President Biden’s $4.7 Trillion Tax Hike Proposal: Small Businesses Must Send a Bigger Check to Washington - House Committee on Ways and Means) and now im just thinking like are there any more gotchas here and is it even possible to get into something because there is a strong opposition (not just the natural entry barrier for this type of business).

I'd be interested to read what people think of this type of business and if its even worth persuing since there is a need for healthcare everywhere.

Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Great tips given so far.

I will add checking out forums where your target demographics spends time. You can also use Google to research what people are searching for. Are they asking the kind of questions that mean that they're looking for a solution?

Belesarius

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 19, 2022
I found 2 books extremely useful that were aimed at Generating Ideas and spotting needs
1.Generating Product Ideas: Actionable Techniques for Finding New Business Ideas
2. How to Be a Capitalist Without Any Capital: The Four Rules You Must Break To Get Rich
Both were recommended by forum members to me (one is also on the 100 most underhyped books given in the Forum) and I am right now executing on several needs that I was able to spot because of the information given in theses books.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
The problems that you have encountered are a good starting point.

You know more than the average person about this and could have a head start.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Knowing someone who work in a particular niche and asking him may bring some seriously specific problems, that can not be found otherwise.

For instance I have a friend working in heat industry, he know I'm doing entreprenneurship and he bring things like

"X merchant is too expensive but I know who his is supplier"
"We have that professionnal product that work well and consumer do not have access to it yet"
"Our accounting app is not good, I wish she would do this or that"
"Redundants problems in heating world are this and that"

Knowing someone inside and briefing him can be very interesting

Tibi42

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 8, 2023
I found 2 books extremely useful that were aimed at Generating Ideas and spotting needs
1.Generating Product Ideas: Actionable Techniques for Finding New Business Ideas
2. How to Be a Capitalist Without Any Capital: The Four Rules You Must Break To Get Rich
Both were recommended by forum members to me (one is also on the 100 most underhyped books given in the Forum) and I am right now executing on several needs that I was able to spot because of the information given in theses books.
Thanks for these book ideas! I purchased the first one and started reading it and its really good so far.

Dr Doomain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Mar 16, 2023
What I usually do:

1. Ask myself if I have this problem. If I have it, there is a chance that others do too
2. Start researching the topic by typing in relevant keywords in Google
3. Do a keyword research with this free tool: Free Keyword Research Tool
4. Find topical forums and read through all the treads about the topic.
5. Join forums and ask people directly about the problem.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.