The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Think I'm Caught In A Bad Hook

Anything related to matters of the mind

benjamin_orji

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 4, 2022
I don't think it is polite to call our consumers in a bad light.

But if we are selling something that is considered a vice in the environment – depending on who you ask – you don't want to find yourself doing what your customers are doing.

There is a saying that "The Drug Lord doesn't sniff his stuff", and rightfully so.

Where I come from in Nigeria, the saying can also be translated as "The Herbalist that helps money rituals carry out their spiritual sacrifice does not do it for himself"
Will he call his customers evil even though they are? Maybe not. But will he do what they do? Never! He knows the consequences of those actions and wouldn't go that route.

Here's why I'm making this post.

I work as a freelance writer for local bloggers and my major niche is tech. But recently most of my clients are from the entertainment niche.

Typically, I don't like writing about entertainment – 'cause I don't like it and I'm not a fan. But for some reason couldn't I didn't say no.

However, I'm now thinking this is a bad idea. Entertainment news is endless and pointless too.

I don't know why people care so much about the life of other people and would spend hours upon hours consuming content about their lives.

But as the saying goes, if people are digging for gold, sell them shovels.

Most of my clients are rich bloggers. And they made most of their money creating blogs for people that @MJ DeMarco will call sidewalks and slow lanes. Loan app blogs, Free movie, and music download blogs, unlocked premium accounts blogs, and – the chief of all – entertainment news blogs.

Now I'm tasked with writing entertainment articles. It took me a while to familiarize myself with some f**cking celebrity names. Heck, I couldn't differentiate Eminem from Justin Bieber or Chloe Bailey from Megan Fox.
And now I have to keep up to date with what's happening in their world – which I hate.

But that's not the worse part. The worse part is that I'm beginning to get caught up in their unending Drama. From break up, divorce, and romance rumors to celeb kids, fashion trends, and what they said in interviews.

In fact, throughout last night I was watching one celeb news to the other, and even pivoted to movies like John Wick and Batman vs Superman on YouTube. I didn't know John Wick was a big thing!

I feel like I've been caught in this hook. I wouldn't advise my enemy to keep up with the Kardashian, but I'm doing it.

I just want to stop. It's kind of decreasing my IQ. Or at least that's what I'm thinking. I badly want to stop!

sorry I typed this on the fly. It doesn't look well formatted. But I hope you guys get the message.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 9, 2023
I just want to stop. I badly want to!

I think this right here is the essence of your post. If you don't love your work (not your passion!) then you'll start finding excuses not to work.

Reconnect with your why. Why did you start freelance writing?

Realize that, if the entertainment niche is popping off and that's where the money is, it doesn't necessarily mean that you should be there.

Yes true, but perhaps you should look for a different mine? Maybe one of your own making?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Say Yes to start. Say No to scale.

There's so many opportunities why would you do something that makes you feel dumber?

But if we are selling something that is considered a vice in the environment – depending on who you ask – you don't want to find yourself doing what your customers are doing.

There is a saying that "The Drug Lord doesn't sniff his stuff", and rightfully so.

Where I come from in Nigeria, the saying can also be translated as "The Herbalist that helps money rituals carry out their spiritual sacrifice does not do it for himself"
Will he call his customers evil even though they are? Maybe not. But will he do what they do? Never! He knows the consequences of those actions and wouldn't go that route.

I work as a freelance writer for local bloggers and my major niche is tech. But recently most of my clients are from the entertainment niche.

Typically, I don't like writing about entertainment – 'cause I don't like it and I'm not a fan. But for some reason couldn't I didn't say no.

However, I'm now thinking this is a bad idea. Entertainment news is endless and pointless too.

I don't know why people care so much about the life of other people and would spend hours upon hours consuming content about their lives.

Most of my clients are rich bloggers. And they made most of their money creating blogs for people that @MJ DeMarco will call sidewalks and slow lanes. Loan app blogs, Free movie, and music download blogs, unlocked premium accounts blogs, and – the chief of all – entertainment news blogs.

Now I'm tasked with writing entertainment articles. It took me a while to familiarize myself with some f**cking celebrity names. Heck, I couldn't differentiate Eminem from Justin Bieber or Chloe Bailey from Megan Fox.
And now I have to keep up to date with what's happening in their world – which I hate.
Whe
But that's not the worse part. The worse part is that I'm beginning to get caught up in their unending Drama. From break up, divorce, and romance rumors to celeb kids, fashion trends, and what they said in interviews.

In fact, throughout last night I was watching one celeb news to the other, and even pivoted to movies like John Wick and Batman vs Superman on YouTube. I didn't know John Wick was a big thing!

I feel like I've been caught in this hook. I wouldn't advise my enemy to keep up with the Kardashian, but I'm doing it.

I just want to stop. It's kind of decreasing my IQ. Or that's what I'm thinking. I badly want to stop!

sorry I typed this on the fly. It doesn't look well formatted. But I hope you guys get the message.
When I was young, I worked a lot of jobs I totally hated to make the bills. I can tell you that I learned a lot from those experiences. You can work on your writing skills. You can work on networking. You never know who you will meet. Lean into it and make the most of where you have landed. Thrive where you are. Who knows? You could be developing interesting characters and studying human behavior -- while writing your first novel on the side...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

I just want to stop. It's kind of decreasing my IQ. Or at least that's what I'm thinking. I badly want to stop!

Not that bad afterall.

A lot of celeb drama and things they do to make sure the audience don’t forget about them.

Bad reputation is much better than no reputation for them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.