The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seeking Advice on Investing in a Banquet Hall and Event Center Business

Anything related to investing, including crypto

jasonrego

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 22, 2018
toronto, canada
Recently came across an opportunity in the event center and banquet hall business and wanted to seek valuable insight and advice.

A close friend of mine who happens to be a chef at a popular banquet hall recently shared a promising business info with me. A already running banquet hall and events business is up for sale, and my friend is suggesting I become a financial partner in the business . However, as a potential investor and business operator, I would have to secure a down payment of $300,000 to $500,000.

Here are some facts I have gathered about the banquet hall and event center:
Asking price: $1.5 million
Revenues: $2.4 million in 2022; In 2023, it is expected to reach $3-3.4 million
Rent: $25,000 per month
Owner takes home: $400,000
Reason for sale: Owner Retiring

Although I have some business experience under my belt, it has never been on this scale. So I am seeking guidance from the knowledgeable members of the Fastlane forum. I want to make sure I approach this opportunity with clarity and caution.

What are the most important things to keep in mind when considering this opportunity?

Arrange finance in the best possible way, given the down payment requirements of the loan?
Due Diligence: What specific information do I need to gather to make an informed decision about the feasibility and risks of this business? What insights can you provide on the banquet hall industry in the GTA region? Is there anything else I need to be aware about in order to be successful in this business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Profit of $400K and 1.5 asking is a 3.75 multiple, what is normal in this industry?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
banquet hall and events business is up for sale

Until the next covid happens and businesses like this are shut down again, now that there are precedents on how to do it. Something to at least keep in mind for your risk assessment.

In Germany they are already talking about "heat/climate shutdowns", although we are especially stupid here, so hopefully not relevant to the rest of world.

Also, you mention that the business is "new". How new? Revenue/profit numbers and/or growth might not be sustainable if the business was started in the post-covid boom of in-person meetings/events, because people couldn't do them for 2 years. In fact, that might explain why the owner is selling now, after everything slowed down due to inflation etc.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Recently came across an opportunity in the business world and wanted to seek your valuable insight and advice.

A close friend of mine who happens to be a chef at a popular banquet hall recently shared a promising relationship with me. A new banquet hall and events business is up for sale, and my friend is suggesting I become a financial partner in the business. However, as a potential investor, I would have to secure a down payment of $300,000 to $500,000.

Here are some facts I have gathered about the banquet hall and event center industry:
Asking price: $1.5 million
Ground rent: $25,000 per month
Owner takes home: $400,000
Reason for sale: Owner Retiring

Although I have some business experience under my belt, it has never been on this scale. So I am seeking guidance from the knowledgeable members of the Fastlane forum. I want to make sure I approach this opportunity with clarity and caution.

What are the most important things to keep in mind when considering this opportunity?

arrange finance in the best possible way, given the down payment requirements of the loan? Due Diligence: What specific information do I need to gather to make an informed decision about the feasibility and risks of this business? What insights can you provide on the banquet hall industry in the GTA region? Is there anything else I need to be aware about in order to be successful in this business?
You said "ground rent". Will you own the building and the business on rented land? How long is the ground rent? What happens at the end of the land lease? What happens if there is a disaster with the building? There are a lot of IFs here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jasonrego

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 22, 2018
toronto, canada
Profit of $400K and 1.5 asking is a 3.75 multiple, what is normal in this industry?

don't know what multiple such businesses selling in the area I am looking at, will have to contact commercial realtor regarding this matter! Hoping someone here might have some knowledge about this industry.

Until the next covid happens and businesses like this are shut down again, now that there are precedents on how to do it. Something to at least keep in mind for your risk assessment.

In Germany they are already talking about "heat/climate shutdowns", although we are especially stupid here, so hopefully not relevant to the rest of world.

Also, you mention that the business is "new". How new? Revenue/profit numbers and/or growth might not be sustainable if the business was started in the post-covid boom of in-person meetings/events, because people couldn't do them for 2 years. In fact, that might explain why the owner is selling now, after everything slowed down due to inflation etc.

Its not new, current owner had this business for 20 years; he is in his sixties and want to retire now due to personal reasons! Regarding revenue just have the last year and current year projected revenue information! Owner is able to provide past 10 year history in order to make decision!

You said "ground rent". Will you own the building and the business on rented land? How long is the ground rent? What happens at the end of the land lease? What happens if there is a disaster with the building? There are a lot of IFs here.

Real Estate is not included in the sale; will be taking over the current lease! 12 year left on the lease!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Real Estate is not included in the sale; will be taking over the current lease! 12 year left on the lease!
So, how many years of work will it take for you to pay for the business before you actually make a true profit?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
with current cashflow it will be 3.75 years!b
So you will have 8.25 years left to make hay on your investment. If I was considering this, my attention would be on the lease. The business is dependent on the location and the facilities. You cannot move the business because it is totally dependent on that lease. Can you get an option to extend the lease before you buy the business? This is a moment when you need to hedge your bet or find another facility that will work just as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.