The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When Scarcity takes over, no one wins

For any book discussion

Bohemi

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 28, 2022
Roskilde, Denmark
A long time ago I read a book called Scarcity - Why Having Too Little Means So Much. This is a book written by Sendhil Mullainathan Eldar Shafir.

Before reading the book I was stuck on the idea of it was me that did something wrong, since I couldn't earn enough money, meet the right man or stick to a healthy diet. Don't get me wrong, my life is 100% my own responsibility, and this post is no way near an attempt to disclaim my own part of this, but more of a big AHA moment.

The two writers took it upon them to look deeper into the scarcity mindset and what it does to us. What they found was fascinating. I don't want to go into it all, but I feel like sharing what I took with me from this book.

First of all, scarcity seems to be highjacking our brains. Not the other way around. So when you feel like lacking something (money, love, food, energy etc) this idea of lack highjacks your brain to fix this acute emergency and put everything else on hold. you develop tunnel vision where all you see is this problem. No sense of perspective, nothing else is important.
Most people (like myself before reading this book) seems to believe that poor people make bad decisions and therefore they are poor, but living in scarcity mindset actually make your intelligense drop.

Another thing I took with me from this book was that scarcity is contagious. Lack in one area of your life often leads to the feeling of lack in all other areas. So when people are on a diet (lacking health) they often come to terms with not having enough money to pursue a more healthy diet.

This Scarcity mindset is everywhere so it is really hard to let go of. Turn on the news and you get the message about not enough money to support the poor, not enough medicine, not enough to save the environment and so on.

Our world is mostly made up of "not enough" concepts.

The danger comes when we are taught that scarcity in the norm and being abundant is out of our reach. It is not. First step is to acknowledge the fact that scarcity has highjacked our brains and that it is time to take back the control.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Robdavis

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
This Scarcity mindset is everywhere so it is really hard to let go of. Turn on the news and you get the message about not enough money to support the poor, not enough medicine, not enough to save the environment and so on.
It's also true that some people have an abundance mindset. If you focus on abundance and its related ideas then you will lessen the grip of scarcity.
A book that is about this topic is Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think by Peter H Diamandis and Steven Kotler. The basic premise of this book is that everything is now the best it has ever been and everything is getting better. It's hard to feel down whilst reading this.
Although I haven't read it, there is another book on a similar theme called The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves by Matt Ridley.
One simple way of fighting scarcity is simply asking yourself questions about possibility. What is possible for me in this circumstance? What could I do to give myself more choice in this situation? How can I improve this situation? How many different ways could I solve this problem?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022
Maybe this is one of the cognitive biases that we still have as a relic from the stone age.

There was a time where everything was indeed very scarce, to the point where our lives would be endangered. Not enough food, not enough water, not enough people in the tribe etc.

Right now in the modern world we are surrounded by an incomprehensible amount of abundance and wealth. We have so much food that now obesity is killing more people than starvation. Clean water is almost free and unlimited in most parts of the world. And the tribe now has 8 billion people.

What we have today would have been incomprehensible for our ancestors.

The bad news is that we still have a hunter-gatherer brain, and lot of the cognitive biases that were previously needed for the survival of our species.

What is the solution?
Wake up. You're not a caveman anymore.
  • Potential friends are everywhere.
  • Potential romantic partners are everywhere.
  • Knowledge is everywhere.
  • Opportunities are everywhere.
  • Money is everywhere.

Everything we need to achieve massive success is already at our fingertips. And it was given to us by the previous generations of people that have worked very hard to create the modern infrastructure.

We just need to open our eyes.

PS:

I've already posted this in the random chat.

This is what a prehistoric fastlane entrepreneur would look like:

1680124561751-png.48033

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.