The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

20 y/o rejected from University despite being a topper in 12th grade

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Daim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 11, 2024
Ok So I'm going to give you some details about myself so that you can give me some appropriate advice for my situation.
First fact about me is that I am a 20 y/o that is right now sitting at my parents home because I have gotten rejected from University on the basis of my grade, which was infact not low but actually I was the 2nd topper in my whole class and had a 86% score (Lowest accepted score was 92%), and this was not the first time, even after 10th grade I was rejected from a "Highly reputed school" because it did not accepted anyone with a lower grade than 98% and I was 97% (Yes, I am an Asian), so i had to go to just any nearest school and my parents did not appreciate that and it was not that I did not do my best. I remember I used to study 14 HOURS A DAY, was of course sleep-deprived, had no free time, losing hair at the age of 18 because of high stress and at the end still FAILED. In simple words, I have already experienced job life (maybe worse, idk)

Now the spectacle I saw at the college during the test was the biggest rat race example EVER. There were more than 1500 students competing for less than 50 SEATS, YES FIFTY SEATS. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT? IN A UNIVERSITY WHERE THEY WERE GOING TO PAY SO MUCH MONEY ANYWAYS, WITH ONLY HOPE OF GETTING A JOB. It stunned me during then and while reading your book "Unscripted ". So can say that was my FTE because i said "No way I'm going to end up like any of these." I still retain the shockwaves i had from that. And if you think this ends here, you are wrong because even if you get admitted in such an institution, first of course the money they charge you for fee is going to kill you, second the additional expenses of cafeteria, clothing, driving, hostel etc. will suck the soul out of you and if that was bearable you chances of getting employed are equal to solar eclipse occurrence because 70% GRADUATES in my country are UNEMPLOYED (This actually increases the crime rate and drug use a lot which is why safety standards are always a concern here). Heck, you will have to compete with 40 y/o people just to get a low-end job. At this point, I fear they start asking for resumes for delivery jobs.

Anyways, coming back to me, my parents didn't like that I failed but they also never asked me to get a job because they thought that they can let me have sometime for free until the next test which is now in a few weeks. But it is not that i don't want to go to a University. I want to because it as it aligns with my life goal of becoming a genetic scientist. But the problems in that are 1: "Prestigious Universities" have higher grades and fee standards that my family can't afford. 2: If you go to a low-end university its just four years wasted, as i said earlier that you are not getting employed anyways. If telling a bit about my family's financial situation. It's actually "One paycheck away from bankruptcy". Both my parents earn but still get very less and can barely afford to survive (not live). Heck, we have to turn off entire house lights just to save on electricity bills and still my father panics whenever it arrives.

So ever since the last test which was Seven months ago, I did not waste time on things like movies and other similar stuff but on the other hand i improved in many areas like Exercise which now I'm near to gain a six pack in a matter of weeks, meditated a lot and read a lot of books. Now my purpose of reading these was at first just "doing something" but after i stumbled upon some self-improvement stuff including "The millionaire fastlane " which was recommended by some YouTuber. During this time i had many ideas of earning online but the problem was i was just jumping anywhere so i wasted first four months because yes i didn't know anything but after reading that book i realized my biggest mistakes

1: What i was doing was helping no one

2: It wasn't going to teach me anything new in the process

3: I was quitting too early because of my self doubt.

Self-doubt is my biggest issue right now because of my past failures in academics and bullying that I experienced a lot in school due to which I even went through depression lately. I don't know why but my mind keeps sabotaging me every living second for no reason (I can't count how many times I wanted to stop writing this). Plus another factor why this happens is literally "NO ONE WILL SUPPORT ME" My parents hate entrepreneurship and when I once asked the answer was a straight "no". Don't have a single friend or relative who can will willingly support me or even advice me. I won't lie Business people are seen as really dark and shady figures in our society and everyone thinks that they are poor because those are rich. So yes, the journey will be very lonely and long.
Anyways, After that i settled on trying "YouTube" because one it was in my approach as i no money to invest initially, second i suck at public speaking so i thought that even if i don't become that good, at least speaking and later on camera and probably increase my story telling skills. This time my approach is to make "500 videos" and improve my skills with each one (500 is a good number especially when it takes more than a week to make a single video) and even after that I don't make it then I'll quit to some other one. No I'm no trying to "FOLLOW MY PASSION" I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone of fear of facing cameras and all that stuff and even if I fail at least I'll be better at that. Plus I have gained good video editing skills, if not the best then at least better than average. And I'm putting as many hours I have of the day on it, apart from the ones I use on exercising, learning editing, reading about speaking skills and coding (My next plan if this one fails). The point here is also that I don't like going online for earning but that's the only way I have as I have no degrees and have been rejected from even part-time jobs, so I will 100% go physical once I have something in my hands.

So now that you know a lot about my situation, the main questions I have here are:

1: How to overcome this big load of self doubt that makes me procrastinate and sink through every negative emotion I ever had?

2: Can I earn money right now (as a hustle not asking for "easy money idea") by editing videos. The reason I'm asking it like this is because it's a very common skill now and my device is low-end. So yes, if you know a bit please guide.

3: Is it okay to do two things at the same time like Going to university for my personal goal and Business for my entrepreneurial ones? The entrance test won't be a problem anymore but how will both be managed at the same time?

Thank you if you read this far, I'm open to any kind of suggestions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018
ok, so you didn’t get something you wanted. You found the book like liked. Then you found the forum.

What the first thing to do?

Write a big massive text about …. YOU? Ok. Got it.

What next?

Ask for everyone’s attention and advice.

Ok.

May I suggest a different approach?

Imagine what a world looks like to entrepreneurs. Imagine that their time is exactly the only thing that we all have in same quantity… imagine you are asking a successful entrepreneur to take that time away from family, business, hobbies - and instead give it to you! Imagine that world.

Now, how can you make such entrepreneur WANT to and give your that time and advice?

Do that. You’ll go a long way.

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 30, 2022
Ok So I'm going to give you some details about myself so that you can give me some appropriate advice for my situation.
First fact about me is that I am a 20 y/o that is right now sitting at my parents home because I have gotten rejected from University on the basis of my grade, which was infact not low but actually I was the 2nd topper in my whole class and had a 86% score (Lowest accepted score was 92%), and this was not the first time, even after 10th grade I was rejected from a "Highly reputed school" because it did not accepted anyone with a lower grade than 98% and I was 97% (Yes, I am an Asian), so i had to go to just any nearest school and my parents did not appreciate that and it was not that I did not do my best. I remember I used to study 14 HOURS A DAY, was of course sleep-deprived, had no free time, losing hair at the age of 18 because of high stress and at the end still FAILED. In simple words, I have already experienced job life (maybe worse, idk)

Now the spectacle I saw at the college during the test was the biggest rat race example EVER. There were more than 1500 students competing for less than 50 SEATS, YES FIFTY SEATS. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT? IN A UNIVERSITY WHERE THEY WERE GOING TO PAY SO MUCH MONEY ANYWAYS, WITH ONLY HOPE OF GETTING A JOB. It stunned me during then and while reading your book "Unscripted ". So can say that was my FTE because i said "No way I'm going to end up like any of these." I still retain the shockwaves i had from that. And if you think this ends here, you are wrong because even if you get admitted in such an institution, first of course the money they charge you for fee is going to kill you, second the additional expenses of cafeteria, clothing, driving, hostel etc. will suck the soul out of you and if that was bearable you chances of getting employed are equal to solar eclipse occurrence because 70% GRADUATES in my country are UNEMPLOYED (This actually increases the crime rate and drug use a lot which is why safety standards are always a concern here). Heck, you will have to compete with 40 y/o people just to get a low-end job. At this point, I fear they start asking for resumes for delivery jobs. And last but not the least minorities are treated like sh!t and being a minority citizen it makes everything unfair to you including job opportunities and payment inequality, blasphemous hate and even unjust law dealing (Anyone from majority population can kill me anytime and will barely be questioned).

Anyways, coming back to me, my parents didn't like that I failed and have ever since been passive aggressive towards me but they also never asked me to get a job because they thought that they can let me have sometime for free until the next test which is now in a few weeks (Ah sh!t, here we go again) But it is not that i don't want to go to a University. I want to because it as it aligns with my life goal of becoming a genetic scientist. But the problems in that are 1: "Prestigious Universities" have higher grades and fee standards that my family can't afford. 2: If you go to a low-end university its just four years wasted, as i said earlier that you are not getting employed anyways. If telling a bit about my family's financial situation. It's actually "One paycheck away from bankruptcy". Both my parents earn but still get very less and can barely afford to survive (not live). Heck, we have to turn off entire house lights just to save on electricity bills and still my father panics whenever it arrives.

So ever since the last test which was Seven months ago, I did not waste time on things like movies and other similar stuff but on the other hand i improved in many areas like Exercise which now I'm near to gain a six pack in a matter of weeks, meditated a lot and read a lot of books. Now my purpose of reading these was at first just "doing something" but after i stumbled upon some self-improvement stuff including "The millionaire fastlane " which was recommended by some YouTuber. During this time i had many ideas of earning online but the problem was i was just jumping anywhere so i wasted first four months because yes i didn't know anything but after reading that book i realized my biggest mistakes

Self-doubt is my biggest issue right now because of my past failures in academics and bullying that I experienced a lot in school due to which I even went through depression lately. I don't know why but my mind keeps sabotaging me every living second for no reason (I can't count how many times I wanted to stop writing this). Plus another factor why this happens is literally "NO ONE WILL SUPPORT ME" My parents hate entrepreneurship and when I once asked the answer was a straight "no". Don't have a single friend or relative who can will willingly support me or even advice me. I won't lie Business people are seen as really dark and shady figures in our society and everyone thinks that they are poor because those are rich. So yes, the journey will be very lonely and long.
Anyways, After that i settled on trying "YouTube" because one it was in my approach as i no money to invest initially, second i suck at public speaking so i thought that even if i don't become that good, at least speaking and later on camera and probably increase my story telling skills. This time my approach is to make "500 videos" and improve my skills with each one (500 is a good number especially when it takes more than a week to make a single video) and even after that I don't make it then I'll quit to some other one. No I'm no trying to "FOLLOW MY PASSION" I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone of fear of facing cameras and all that stuff and even if I fail at least I'll be better at that. Plus I have gained good video editing skills, if not the best then at least better than average. And I'm putting as many hours I have of the day on it, apart from the ones I use on exercising, learning editing, reading about speaking skills and coding (My next plan if this one fails). The point here is also that I don't like going online for earning but that's the only way I have as I have no degrees and have been rejected from even part-time jobs, so I will 100% go physical once I have something in my hands.

So now that you know a lot about my situation, the main questions I have here are:

1: How to overcome this big load of self doubt that makes me procrastinate and sink through every negative emotion I ever had?

2: Can I earn money right now (as a hustle not asking for "easy money idea") by editing videos. The reason I'm asking it like this is because it's a very common skill now and my device is low-end. So yes, if you know a bit please guide.

3: Is it okay to do two things at the same time like Going to university for my personal goal and Business for my entrepreneurial ones? The entrance test won't be a problem anymore but how will both be managed at the same time?

1. self doubt is just caused by you believing other people's judgements or even your own judgements on yourself. What helped me rid this bad habit was just responding logically. Anytime you feel self doubt, just think logically. Objectively speaking, no one is "less deserving" or "more deserving" of success than anyone. Success comes to those that DO what it takes to be successful. It doesn't care about you feeling self doubt or feeling whatever, cause as long as your doing what it takes to be successful, you will be successful. Its also not bad to compare yourself, its the judgement you make on the comparison. Just cause someone is more successful than you, doesn't mean they are objectively better than you. They just did what it took to be successful, and you can too. The fact that there are tons of successful people is proof enough that YOU can do it too, the real question is if your willing to figure it out, not make excuses, and sacrifice what you need to sacrifice for a long period of time. Your not special to those who are successful, there are tons of successful people who have had it worse than you so its doable. Just figure out what it takes to be successful and execute it.

2. Yeah you can earn money editing, theres tons of videos on how to get hired so you can do the research. The only rule is you have to be useful to the person hiring you so show your usefulness.

3. I don't know how rigorous your university is. But if its like mine, definitely, and also theres no way you cant spare at least some time to work on it. Maybe you need to work on time management, studying efficiently, whatever, but its definitely doable you just need to figure it out.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Don't have a single friend or relative who can will willingly support me or even advice me. I won't lie Business people are seen as really dark and shady figures in our society and everyone thinks that they are poor because those are rich. So yes, the journey will be very lonely and long.

S. Korea?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Now the spectacle I saw at the college during the test was the biggest rat race example EVER. There were more than 1500 students competing for less than 50 SEATS, YES FIFTY SEATS. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT? IN A UNIVERSITY WHERE THEY WERE GOING TO PAY SO MUCH MONEY ANYWAYS, WITH ONLY HOPE OF GETTING A JOB. It stunned me during then and while reading your book "Unscripted ". So can say that was my FTE because i said "No way I'm going to end up like any of these." I still retain the shockwaves i had from that. And if you think this ends here, you are wrong because even if you get admitted in such an institution, first of course the money they charge you for fee is going to kill you, second the additional expenses of cafeteria, clothing, driving, hostel etc. will suck the soul out of you and if that was bearable you chances of getting employed are equal to solar eclipse occurrence because 70% GRADUATES in my country are UNEMPLOYED (This actually increases the crime rate and drug use a lot which is why safety standards are always a concern here). Heck, you will have to compete with 40 y/o people just to get a low-end job. At this point, I fear they start asking for resumes for delivery jobs. And last but not the least minorities are treated like sh!t and being a minority citizen it makes everything unfair to you including job opportunities and payment inequality, blasphemous hate and even unjust law dealing (Anyone from majority population can kill me anytime and will barely be questioned).

Anyways, coming back to me, my parents didn't like that I failed and have ever since been passive aggressive towards me but they also never asked me to get a job because they thought that they can let me have sometime for free until the next test which is now in a few weeks (Ah sh!t, here we go again) But it is not that i don't want to go to a University. I want to because it as it aligns with my life goal of becoming a genetic scientist. But the problems in that are 1: "Prestigious Universities" have higher grades and fee standards that my family can't afford. 2: If you go to a low-end university its just four years wasted, as i said earlier that you are not getting employed anyways. If telling a bit about my family's financial situation. It's actually "One paycheck away from bankruptcy". Both my parents earn but still get very less and can barely afford to survive (not live). Heck, we have to turn off entire house lights just to save on electricity bills and still my father panics whenever it arrives.

You need better time management skill for university and doing a business at the side.

Since you are aspiring to be a genetic scientist there could be very goof high entry business ideas for you.

I remember as early as 20 years back there are website claiming to have your saliva and pay a few hundred dollar to test your ancestry. They divide the world map ancestry into 20-30 zones.

Daim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 11, 2024
This is going to sound cold but rewrite this in max 7-8 sentences is the best feedback I can give you. It transcends helping you in just this one problem if you think about it.
1. self doubt is just caused by you believing other people's judgements or even your own judgements on yourself. What helped me rid this bad habit was just responding logically. Anytime you feel self doubt, just think logically. Objectively speaking, no one is "less deserving" or "more deserving" of success than anyone. Success comes to those that DO what it takes to be successful. It doesn't care about you feeling self doubt or feeling whatever, cause as long as your doing what it takes to be successful, you will be successful. Its also not bad to compare yourself, its the judgement you make on the comparison. Just cause someone is more successful than you, doesn't mean they are objectively better than you. They just did what it took to be successful, and you can too. The fact that there are tons of successful people is proof enough that YOU can do it too, the real question is if your willing to figure it out, not make excuses, and sacrifice what you need to sacrifice for a long period of time. Your not special to those who are successful, there are tons of successful people who have had it worse than you so its doable. Just figure out what it takes to be successful and execute it.

2. Yeah you can earn money editing, theres tons of videos on how to get hired so you can do the research. The only rule is you have to be useful to the person hiring you so show your usefulness.

3. I don't know how rigorous your university is. But if its like mine, definitely, and also theres no way you cant spare at least some time to work on it. Maybe you need to work on time management, studying efficiently, whatever, but its definitely doable you just need to figure

S. Korea?
No, Pakistan but the condition is similar. I remember my teacher once saying it like this: "Listen if there are 10 cows and 10 people and 1 person takes 7 of them and the rest 9 are left with 3 cows and have to divide them, wouldn't that be inequality? This is exactly what rich business people do with poor ones. They take more than they deserve."

Daim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 11, 2024

3. I don't know how rigorous your university is. But if its like mine, definitely, and also theres no way you cant spare at least some time to work on it. Maybe you need to work on time management, studying efficiently, whatever, but its definitely doable you just need to figure it out.
Thanks for the feedback, I guess my problem is of Time management which I really need to learn

Daim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 11, 2024
I think you are right. Hell I wrote my biography for a simple advice. I need to get out of my skin first and see world from outer perspective. Thanks for giving straight forward reply.
ok, so you didn’t get something you wanted. You found the book like liked. Then you found the forum.

What the first thing to do?

Write a big massive text about …. YOU? Ok. Got it.

What next?

Ask for everyone’s attention and advice.

Ok.

May I suggest a different approach?

Imagine what a world looks like to entrepreneurs. Imagine that their time is exactly the only thing that we all have in same quantity… imagine you are asking a successful entrepreneur to take that time away from family, business, hobbies - and instead give it to you! Imagine that world.

Now, how can you make such entrepreneur WANT to and give your that time and advice?

Do that. You’ll go a long way.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.