The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bookkeeping or Coding to reach my goal.

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

red360

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 30, 2023
My goal is to start my side hustle and work for myself as fast as possible.
I have basically 0 experience in both fields so here's my though process:

With bookkeeping, my belief is that in about 1-2 years I could achieve my goal to be my own boss and replace my current income.

Though I feel there is more money to be made long term with a coding skill, I think that it would take about 4 years at least to be my own boss and replace my income.

I REALLY want to be my own boss, but I also don't like wasting time unnecessarily.

Would the 2 years I spend to attain my bookkeeping goal, be better served to learn coding and grow that?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 5, 2023
MJ warned about selfish motivations for being an entrepreneur, specifically "I want to be my own boss". Find a need/want and solve it. Provide value to others and in turn value will be added to you. Let the market guide you.

Pain Brain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 19, 2023
I REALLY want to be my own boss, but I also don't like wasting time unnecessarily.

Would the 2 years I spend to attain my bookkeeping goal, be better served to learn coding and grow that?
If you don't want to waste time, use the programming skills you have available to you and start solving problems for people around you. Whether you know how to code or not does not matter. Programming is just a tool that you can put to practice on the fly when relevant to the problem.

I can't say much for bookkeeping. Just don't waste time learning how to code without developing anything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Bookkeeper here. the best way to get your feet wet is through public accounting. They're always looking for bodies to help out with busy season and you'll learn a lot with working with multiple industries. I wouldn't stay there for more than a year though because busy season basically kills any time for entrepreneurial pursuits. Any gaps in your knowledge you can pick up a Udemy course for accounting and ask questions to the CPAs you're working with.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.