The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Check out the taxes on this baby!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hmm . . . $100K+ a year in prop taxes, and the IRS has siezed the house for non payment of Federal Taxes?

Do I detect a common problem here?

Our prop taxes are going to be ~$50,000 this year.

And we'll pay another $108,000 or so in hotel taxes.

-Russ H.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
For a house of that size $100k a year in property taxes are pretty reasonable. I know someone who is paying $160k a year on their house in Greenwich.

Its crimminal if you ask me, all these towns are real SOB's about taxes.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Forget where I heard it the other day but it was an interesting point. Someone was pushing to make property taxes into a SALES tax. Until that happens, they argued, home ownership is really a myth. You don't own it, the taxing authority rents it to you and when you don't pay the rent they boot your a$$ out.

Where it really sucks is when you have huge pieces of property that have been in a family for a century and the municipality decides to tax the owner into selling/subdividing because there is no way in hell they can pay taxes on land that went from $1000/acre in value to $100K per acre as the nearby metroplex grew. That's crap.

As far as the 'well, they aren't making the best use of the land' argument my answer is "Bullshit, it's their land, go find and buy your own damned land and leave them alone"

In other news, my home study course on tact and subtlety is really going well

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I had a meeting with a big investor this week and we got on this topic. OMFG I won't repeat the stories online but local governments play some really dirty games. The judge's are in on it to.:pissed:

The only way you can stick it to them is if you own enough property that if you stop paying taxes their budget gets hurt. If that happens you can stop paying on everything you own, and take them to court. But thats expensive.

On mayor stole a $3 million dollar bond from these guys, and got away with it. He is now in protective custody for something else, but they still saw $3 mil evaporate.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.