The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Comment on Instagram's Success

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
I haven't researched all the details regarding Facebook's purchase of Instagram a while back, but I do know that Instagram did not have revenue, did not have a plan to generate revenue, and that Facebook paid $1 billion for it nonetheless. I also understand that it's quite a task to get ~30 million people to download your app, even if it's free. And I know it's a little late and doesn't really matter anymore, but...

I think Facebook could have easily thrown $100 million at the founders--and they would have sold.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

crlerk

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
In the tech industry acquisitions often are talent driven, which is the case here.
What Zuckerberg really did was buy the leading social image sharing platform, and the team that built it, which will make facebook much stronger in that space even if they let instagram live as a separate service.

Also the $1B is not just cash, I read on TC that they are getting paid around $300M in cash and the rest in FB stocks, lol.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't think the founders would have taken 100mil. He originally wanted 2B for it. Overvalued is an understatement but its hard to get an app to have the following that instagram has. It would take a couple years minimum to try and mimic it with hopes to having the same success, easier to just buy it.

MCaruso

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 18, 2012
I think it was definitely grossly overpaid. Then again it looked like Facebook wanted to come in and set an example that their still the leader in the industry and show how much they will pay if they really want something. I don't think 100M would have worked, but probably 500M would have done the trick

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012
The crux of a social network is photos, plus at the time of the announcement, Facebook didn't make a penny from mobile.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.