The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have a problem with MJ DeMarco (Follow your passion gets a beatdown)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
We're not opening another thread on this conversation, it's been beat to death here over that last 15 years.

My position remains clear and hasn't changed in nearly 2 decades.

Moved.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I’m asking this because I just spoke to a friend (who sold his business for 80m+) who says that entrepreneurs need to do the things their heart tells them to do while keeping an eye out for the commercial aspect of it.

We were talking about my business and It bothers me to say this, but I don’t really have a passion for the things I’m selling. I have to push myself sometimes to do necessary work, because I honestly don’t really care about what I’m selling. Even though my business is quite successful I feel that I lack the passion to continue on this pace in the coming years before I’m able to exit on a sum like his.

There are two ways of looking at this.

1. Change business because you will never excel in this field.
2. Man up and stop complaining.

I change between these two far to much and honestly it’s tiring me. I man up for a few weeks/months, but then the feeling that I don’t really like what I’m doing creeps in again. I then start to neglect things a little and I’m not completely on top of my stuff anymore. Is this my gut telling me I need to quit, or is it a weak part of my mind thats dragging me down?

- It would be really helpful for me if you can also give an indication of your business level when you respond. -
What’s motivating you to grow the business?

I enjoy mine and treat it a bit like a passion

It makes me enough to live a good life

Unfortunately I don’t think I’m particularly motivated to grow it beyond that

Which I don’t think is related to me having a passion for the business or not but rather the life I want to live

Maybe you are in a similar position?

I feel like if you really wanted the life of a big business owner you would just suck it up and grow the business

Also take what that guy said with a grain of salt, you don’t grow a business to 80m because you are passionate about it, that’s hard work and an insane commitment whether you are passionate or not. He could have cruised and been passionate and not grown to 80m.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I’m asking this because I just spoke to a friend (who sold his business for 80m+) who says that entrepreneurs need to do the things their heart tells them to do while keeping an eye out for the commercial aspect of it.

We were talking about my business and It bothers me to say this, but I don’t really have a passion for the things I’m selling. I have to push myself sometimes to do necessary work, because I honestly don’t really care about what I’m selling. Even though my business is quite successful I feel that I lack the passion to continue on this pace in the coming years before I’m able to exit on a sum like his.

There are two ways of looking at this.

1. Change business because you will never excel in this field.
2. Man up and stop complaining.

I change between these two far to much and honestly it’s tiring me. I man up for a few weeks/months, but then the feeling that I don’t really like what I’m doing creeps in again. I then start to neglect things a little and I’m not completely on top of my stuff anymore. Is this my gut telling me I need to quit, or is it a weak part of my mind thats dragging me down?

- It would be really helpful for me if you can also give an indication of your business level when you respond. -

Quit this business, start a business based on your passion, be passionate for a few weeks or months as you make $0 and eventually grow to hate your passion and wish you stayed with a business that was working well for you.

I 100% agree with @MitchC. Your business is a tool for a better life.

Mentally associate it with your dream lifestyle. Figure out how to get more with less effort.

In your free time, do things you love just for the sake of doing them, not because you want to make money out of them.

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Dec 5, 2020
To be clear, I really like Real Estate and I could 100% make good money with it. It’s not like I want to build a business about scuba diving or something…

If I’m not doing this business, I will be active in RE.

@MitchC I think you’re correct on the big business owner thing. I always thought I wanted hundreds of millions, but actually I would be very happy with a 1m/yr income. This seems much easier to reach than a 500m net worth. It does make me realize though that my business goals (500m net worth) and life goals (good life, 1m/yr, living multiple countries, doing cool shit) are not really congruent.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.