The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

investing in the stock market does not seem right

Anything related to investing, including crypto

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
So after building a business that makes 50k in gross revenue on average a month (last month 10-20k more), I decided to put around 100k in the stock market.

Almost a month later, after realizing how slow this money will grow, I cannot but feel this whole thing is a "scam". Or said better, my business makes so much more money than the stock market ever will even if I keep the money invested for 50 years.

I can't believe this is the path most people use to make money, it sounds like horseshit to me. I can understand if you had 10 million and parked 1 million, but for anything below that, it just will not work. It can't. I've read this in MJ's books previously but didn't truly realize until now.

I'm 24 and I'd rather buy a supercar at this point with half of that money, instead of seeing it grow at 4% every year. Not sure why I think this way but the thought of even being alive at 60 years old is not appealing to me. In fact getting older is what I fear the most. Maybe I think this way because I can make that same money back in 3 months, so why make it illiquid and put them in the stock market? I might as well buy some things with them and enjoy life?

I think my beliefs got shaped by the reddit crowd of FIRE where they say you must be frugal and say bye bye to enjoying life while you're young. What I seem to forget is these people work at 9-5 jobs for 3k a month so their advice can't really apply to my level of earnings.

My main objective of parking money was to live off my investments, but figured out I need way more than 100k to be able to do that, hence, again, the realization that this whole "stock market" worshipping from the FIRE crowds is irrational, because the returns are so small that it's definitely not how people get rich young. My beliefs crashed again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
I'd say if your someone who can repeatedly build something to the scale of 50k/month (you didn't share profit so 50k/month could be nothing tbh) then yeah do that for growth. ETFs or whatever traditional investing for diversification (it always somewhat feels scammy though).

Important thing is take some chips off the table from time to time you know? Don't want to wake up at 60 broke.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I'd say if your someone who can repeatedly build something to the scale of 50k/month (you didn't share profit so 50k/month could be nothing tbh) then yeah do that for growth. ETFs or whatever traditional investing for diversification (it always somewhat feels scammy though).

Important thing is take some chips off the table from time to time you know? Don't want to wake up at 60 broke.
profit margin is around 60%. I think my mistake has been the opposite of taking some chips off, I literally put 75% of my payout into the stock market, whilst I wish I only put 25% and kept the rest to upgrade my lifestyle. The money isn't locked into the broker but if I sell my positions it's gonna trigger some taxable events and it might be a chore to deal with

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 26, 2023
So after building a business that makes 50k in gross revenue on average a month (last month 10-20k more), I decided to put around 100k in the stock market.

Almost a month later, after realizing how slow this money will grow, I cannot but feel this whole thing is a "scam". Or said better, my business makes so much more money than the stock market ever will even if I keep the money invested for 50 years.

I can't believe this is the path most people use to make money, it sounds like horseshit to me. I can understand if you had 10 million and parked 1 million, but for anything below that, it just will not work. It can't. I've read this in MJ's books previously but didn't truly realize until now.

I'm 24 and I'd rather buy a supercar at this point with half of that money, instead of seeing it grow at 4% every year. Not sure why I think this way but the thought of even being alive at 60 years old is not appealing to me. In fact getting older is what I fear the most. Maybe I think this way because I can make that same money back in 3 months, so why make it illiquid and put them in the stock market? I might as well buy some things with them and enjoy life?

I think my beliefs got shaped by the reddit crowd of FIRE where they say you must be frugal and say bye bye to enjoying life while you're young. What I seem to forget is these people work at 9-5 jobs for 3k a month so their advice can't really apply to my level of earnings.

My main objective of parking money was to live off my investments, but figured out I need way more than 100k to be able to do that, hence, again, the realization that this whole "stock market" worshipping from the FIRE crowds is irrational, because the returns are so small that it's definitely not how people get rich young. My beliefs crashed again.

Stock market requires very special skillset. You must be able to invest time to evaluate a stock before investing.

But money does grows in stock market. The stock I bought back in August of 2021 @ 284, closed today at 1041, whilst it was highest at 1090 a few days ago!

But this is nothing in comparison to my business's growth!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.