The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Invention? Question to MJ and all fastlaners.

keith123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 29, 2011
Hi everyone. My first day on this forum and my first post. Let's see what you guys make of this one.

Yesterday I made some preliminary designs for a device attached to cars. It's a small detector system that detects movement in front of your car.

The primary benefits are:

- if you're waiting in a traffic light and need to send a text on your phone, or if you're reading a book, or just need to close and rest your eyes, it makes a sound when the car in front of you has started moving. this allows you to be productive at busy long waits at intersections, without having to constantly look up at the lights, and the risk of the driver behind you getting road rage.

- if you're travelling at slow speeds, it warns you if you're getting too close to the car in front of you. sometimes we are no aware that we are moving (such as on a down hill and you release the brakes) or we're drifting forwards. At a certain distance (say half a meter) the warning system comes on.

- detects objects, children, pets, etc. and warns you.

- if it can somehow be made to detect red lights, it can manually override the accelerator and activate brakes, in case the driver has fallen asleep.

What do you guys think? Is there a market for this device?

I am in Sydney, Australia. Any inventors out there know whether I should patent this device first for safety? I have no engineering knowledge. Where do I find an inventor to make my design into a real product?

Thanks all for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
Ya it sounds great I think people will definitely want it. Maybe figure out a way to correlate insurance companies into it where if people use it the insurance people charge less for insurance on people who have it that way you make a profit from people who buy it as well as insurance agencies. It's an awesome idea patent it asap

andrewsemi

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 2, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Im not sure how it will work here in US. A device that allows you to close your eyes at the wheel? or texting? They have really been chewing us up here for texting or handheld devices. At least in Washington State and California.

keith123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 29, 2011
It's true that governments around the world are warning us against multitasking at the wheel. But do you think they would have anything against us multitasking when stopped at the red light?

Maybe you guys from the States can help me out here. Are there lots of red lights lights 2 or 3 minutes long? In that time you could conceivably eat something, read 2 pages off a book, send 5 texts, put on lipstick, etc. The device warns you when the car in front of you moves.

It also warns you if you get too close to another vehicle - not so that you can multitask while driving - but in case you become sleepy, or lose concentration, and rear-end someone.

Does anyone know the process of patenting this around the world and who to contact to make this sort of device?

comment

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 20, 2011
Rather it would sell or not, I really dont want a product that lets the general public be EVEN LESS aware about their driving.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Good idea - but I suggest you'd need to tailor the way you promote the product in different territories. For example, here in NZ it is illegal to use a cellphone or other handheld devices (other than conversation using a hands-free kit) while you are in control of a motor vehicle - this includes stopped at traffic lights / standstill traffic etc, so you wouldn't be able to promote it for it's use of indicating when cars in front are moving at lights etc. That said, I'm sure there are plenty of other uses you COULD promote it for.

keith123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 29, 2011
here in NZ it is illegal to use a cellphone or other handheld devices (other than conversation using a hands-free kit) while you are in control of a motor vehicle - this includes stopped at traffic lights / standstill traffic etc

Just wondering, and it seems slightly absurd, but is it illegal to eat or put on makeup when stopped at lights?

Rather it would sell or not, I really dont want a product that lets the general public be EVEN LESS aware about their driving.

So you wouldn't want a product that is supposed to be used as a last resort in case you do fall asleep or some emergency takes your eyes off the road for a few seconds - and by this I only refer to the second function of warning you if you're getting close to the vehicle in front of you and you're still travelling at a considerable speed?

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
You can't use a mobile or similar device at the wheel, stopped or not, in Australia either. Even if you pull over, you technically need to have the engine switched off. The police are quite aware that you could be texting/emailing from your phone at the wheel and they'll look for it.

As for the idea - sounds sweet. I love the sell of being able to "blackbox" it so insurance companies and police can unseal the information in it, regarding what occured prior to accidents. On the other hand, I dont think you should be even contemplating marketing it as a "take a micronap/text/email at the wheel safely", it would be financial suicide there :)

Do it.

edit: If you can hook into the speedo, you could actually warn the driver about dangerous objects depending on their detected distance ahead (ie, tailgating on a freeway). Although it may get confused if you're going around a bend at 100kph in the bush, and it "detects" trees ahead? Food for thought.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Are you looking to license it or have it made yourself? If you looking to manufacture something like this, it looks like it can get very expensive. I don't suggest to do that unless you have a shit load of money to throw around and it will not destroy your life if the product fails.

Before you show anyone, I would apply for a provisional patent which costs hardly anything. This will protect your idea somewhat or at least scare people away from stealing it. Also, very important, have anyone you show your idea to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement. I'm not talking about friends and family. I mean when you show your idea around to manufacturer's, inventor's or anyone else that might steal your idea.

Besides that, it sounds like it can be a good idea. Just don't market it as a device used to warn you while your texting. I think people will figure that out for themselves.

Good Luck!

John C.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jun 5, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Keith,

I never like to throw cold water, but this seems like a classic case of a good idea in search of a need.

I do not believe that people are or have been sitting around wishing/hoping for some device that would alert them when they need to refocus on driving instead of some distraction.

There are a lot of issues here. What is the cost? What are real benefits? So how does the cost compare to the benefits? What are the potential liability issues? Is there a fail safe method? What if the device gives a false signal and the driver gets in an accident?

There is a current court case in my area against a company that made a device which would prevent you from driving after having too much to drink. The driver is suing the company because the device did not prevent them from driving even though they were way above the legal limit. Unfortunately when something goes wrong, most people look for someone else to blame and if damages occur, they are looking for who they can sue. Mirrors are not used to reflect where responsibility really should be placed.

keith123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks for the response guys.

Yes I will definitely not be marketing this as something to allow you not concentrate while driving. Even if a demand for a product like this exists I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it.

After rethinking, I would re-order and re-design the benefits this way:

1. helps new drivers and young drivers detect situations where their relative speed to the object in front of them is dangerous. such that they would need to start braking immediately to keep a safe distance / speed.

2. help with tight parking spots like rear-sensors, but on the front.

3. prompt you that the object in front of you is moving away, if you're still stationary. this simulates being stopped at lights and allows you to talk to you passenger, change the music channel, have a drink of water, etc. without needing to keep an eye on the red light.

Should I scrap 3., and market only functions 1/2, and market it only to new/young drivers and their parents?

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Yes scrap 3, and push it for insurance needs. If you can get some sort of approval from an authority, even better.

Depending on cost, and how unobtrusive it is (ie, can I fit it inside the grill under the bonnet, do I need a mechanic, is there a solid DIY guide), I'd give it a go - I hate not knowing how close to the other car/tree/wall I am when Im parking in those tight safeways carparks.

.. which of course won't matter once I crack my code to wealth, and shop when I want, or send my personal assistant to the shops.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Should I scrap 3., and market only functions 1/2, and market it only to new/young drivers and their parents?

I think before you come up with a marketing plan, you need to answer a few other important questions.

If your manufacturing it:

- what it will cost per unit
- what's the minimum order
- how much insurance you would need to protect yourself from lawsuits in case of a malfunction
- what your wholesale and retail price will be and what will a consumer pay for it

There's probably a few I missed but I wouldn't even think about my marketing strategy until I know that something like this can be made for a price that the consumer would want to pay for it. I would also listen to John C and do research on liability in case it did cause a bad accident in some way.

keith123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 29, 2011
how would everyone else feel about a "add-on" device to detect distance for parking, and to warn you about excessive speed relative to the vehicle in front of you?

would you get it for someone else?

would you get it for a new learner driver?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.