The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Officially Debt Free, Where do I Start?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Hi guys, I hope that you're doing well! I'm sure this has been posted ad nauseum but the more I look into this, I'm the more choice paralysis I'm going through on what to do.

I'm fortunate to be in a position where I paid off all my student loans, live with family, and I'm very liquid ($82k in cash.) I definitely changed my life since COVID started and am working a decent slowlane job (went from poverty wages to $75k a year within a year and a half) and I'm back to working on my other business again now that I have an increased cash flow and figured out a schedule on how to incorporate my work.

I know MJ's books has probably delved into this, but I think because of my new "wealth" I'm still stuck in a frugal mindset of afraid of spending money even though it's for the benefit of my business or investments, everything has some sort of risk.

Is it a matter of, should I focus on one thing at a time and is investing in real estate/market/whatever even worth it at this stage I am? I apologize for the rambling post, I feel stuck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018
Invest in yourself. The cash you have isn’t enough to worry about investing in real estate or other financial assets either. It’s a great cushion for a rainy day. It’s also a great start up capital for a potential business.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I know MJ's books has probably delved into this, but I think because of my new "wealth" I'm still stuck in a frugal mindset of afraid of spending money even though it's for the benefit of my business or investments, everything has some sort of risk.

You should. $82K is not a lot of money.

However, being debt free and having a nice little cushion is an awesome foundation to build something that truly sets your free. Give yourself a high-five.

As @Antifragile said it best, invest in yourself (an asset) in pursuit to build business (another asset) which will set you free.

If I was in your boat, I'd set aside a $15K emergency fund, $15K in business capital (could change on whatever you pursue) and start building out my paycheck pot ($50K). 5% on 50K is $2,500/year.

But ultimately, the only financial asset that will scale your wealth is your own business.

Start a business with $200K in profit and you likely also just created $1M in net worth.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
This is very helpful, thank you everyone! I had a feeling that $82k wasn't going to get me very far at the moment, but your opinions help put things into perspective.

I'm always investing in myself thankfully. My slowlane job is a means to an end and if anything, the last 3 years have shown me that the sky is the limit in improving myself and learning new skills. I'm a very different person compared to 5 years ago in both in finance and in health.
You should. $82K is not a lot of money.

However, being debt free and having a nice little cushion is an awesome foundation to build something that truly sets your free. Give yourself a high-five.

As @Antifragile said it best, invest in yourself (an asset) in pursuit to build business (another asset) which will set you free.

If I was in your boat, I'd set aside a $15K emergency fund, $15K in business capital (could change on whatever you pursue) and start building out my paycheck pot ($50K). 5% on 50K is $2,500/year.

But ultimately, the only financial asset that will scale your wealth is your own business.

Start a business with $200K in profit and you likely also just created $1M in net worth.

Thank you, that means a lot! I never thought I could achieve that as quickly as I did, but I'm very proud of myself too.

The emergency fund and the business capital I already have something similar going on minus the paycheck pot. I can definitely build one now.

And like you and @Antifragile said, investing in myself and scaling my business is the true key to freedom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.