The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Slowlane vs. Fastlane

Anything related to matters of the mind

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Hello everyone!

I found this picture in my local newspaper and it got me thinking. Getting a college education and being top of your class does not guarantee you success. It is another bs illusion that was sold to you by the slowlane. This person states about her perfect GPA ,her being stuck in debt and unemployed. In addition to all that she also asks "Where her bailout is?" This picture was attached to some anti-bailout protest but that is not important to this discussion. (Please no discussions about company bailouts, Ok?) What is important is that she chose the slowlane road and now sees that it is a dead end. She has no job, she is in debt and is stuck. Now here is the question you should ask yourself if you are still wondering which path you should take. Where do you want to go with your life? Do you want to enjoy it everyday? Do you want to have a lot of free time to spend with your family, on vacations ect. Do you want to own your day? Well, all these questions can be answered by choices. This person chose the slowlane and was greeted by all its problems. The fastlane on the other hand is a different place. There are different rules that apply. There is no limit on age, race, ect.. Everyone is allowed to join it, but do you have what it takes? Would you rather work for someone that is adding value to peoples lives or would you rather be the one that is adding the value. One of the two choices is a fastlane vehicle and the other is not. So, today on this Labor Day, many of of us stay home and celebrate our day off from work and school. You have a full 24 hours to do anything you want. Whatever you do is up to you, its your choice. At the end of the day will you be satisfied with what you have done with your time that could get you closer to the fastlane or will you regret that you wasted your time and another day just passed in front of your eyes? Enjoy your day and use it wisely, there is no guarantee for tomorrow.

Lamboman

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
The problem with this person is her entitlement mentality. Is this disease a result of the slowlane mentality too? I don't know, but it sure is prevalent in this country.

If she feels that she is entitled, then what other attitudes may she have that an employer doesn't like? What she fails to grasp is that employers look for more than just the GPA.

There is a reason she doesn't have a job, and it isn't just the economy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There is a reason she doesn't have a job, and it isn't just the economy.

Seriously, maybe she should dump the Harry Potter look and along with it, the tarred and worn cloak.

I found this picture in my local newspaper and it got me thinking. Getting a college education and being top of your class does not guarantee you success. It is another bs illusion that was sold to you by the slowlane. This person states about her perfect GPA ,her being stuck in debt and unemployed. In addition to all that she also asks "Where her bailout is?" This picture was attached to some anti-bailout protest but that is not important to this discussion. (Please no discussions about company bailouts, Ok?) What is important is that she chose the slowlane road and now sees that it is a dead end. She has no job, she is in debt and is stuck. Now here is the question you should ask yourself if you are still wondering which path you should take. Where do you want to go with your life? Do you want to enjoy it everyday? Do you want to have a lot of free time to spend with your family, on vacations ect. Do you want to own your day? Well, all these questions can be answered by choices. This person chose the slowlane and was greeted by all its problems. The fastlane on the other hand is a different place. There are different rules that apply. There is no limit on age, race, ect.. Everyone is allowed to join it, but do you have what it takes? Would you rather work for someone that is adding value to peoples lives or would you rather be the one that is adding the value. One of the two choices is a fastlane vehicle and the other is not. So, today on this Labor Day, many of of us stay home and celebrate our day off from work and school. You have a full 24 hours to do anything you want. Whatever you do is up to you, its your choice. At the end of the day will you be satisfied with what you have done with your time that could get you closer to the fastlane or will you regret that you wasted your time and another day just passed in front of your eyes? Enjoy your day and use it wisely, there is no guarantee for tomorrow.
Ha Ha ... if you keep it up, some people are going to think your account is a FAKE and just another one of my doppelgangers. I'm really impressed that you formed this impression without not having a book to reference. While I try not to crucify formal education, in this case, this Harry Potter gal was sold a bill of goods that convinced her that "good grades" and a "good education" leads to success.

Now, with $90K in debt, her options are limited. She must work and probably, in a job she hates because the debt loves to nag.

But wanna know what is even more limiting? Just as ATW alluded, her entitlement mentality. That will derail her moreso than the debt. No one owes her a job. As it stands right now, shes TAKEN from society more than she has given.

When I was in the same position years ago I didn't hang myself on the noose of entitlement -- I literally said "F*ck them, if I can't find myself a job I will make one!" ... or, I could have easily said "I am a an honor roll graduate with two business degrees, someone needs to give me a job, until then, I'm going to spend my time protesting and basket weaving".

In my opinion, this gal is obviously book smart -- but the lack of survival instinct and street smarts will most likely remand her to mediocrity. That's a bet Ill take.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Seriously, maybe she should dump the Harry Potter look and along with it, the tarred and worn cloak.

Ha Ha ... if you keep it up, some people are going to think your account is a FAKE and just another one of my doppelgangers. I'm really impressed that you formed this impression without not having a book to reference. While I try not to crucify formal education, in this case, this Harry Potter gal was sold a bill of goods that convinced her that "good grades" and a "good education" leads to success.

Now, with $90K in debt, her options are limited. She must work and probably, in a job she hates because the debt loves to nag.

But wanna know what is even more limiting? Just as ATW alluded, her entitlement mentality. That will derail her moreso than the debt. No one owes her a job. As it stands right now, shes TAKEN from society more than she has given.

When I was in the same position years ago I didn't hang myself on the noose of entitlement -- I literally said "F*ck them, if I can't find myself a job I will make one!" ... or, I could have easily said "I am a an honor roll graduate with two business degrees, someone needs to give me a job, until then, I'm going to spend my time protesting and basket weaving".

In my opinion, this gal is obviously book smart -- but the lack of survival instinct and street smarts will most likely remand her to mediocrity. That's a bet Ill take.

:rofl: Well, I can give you a lot of the credit MJ, I took a lot of what you have written in previous posts and articles and wrote it around this picture. And the "entitlement" mentality that ATW added is exactly what I forgot to add in. People with this kind of mentality make me sick. All they care about is me, me, me. If you think you deserve a better house, car, life; complaining about it and sulking will never get you there. Taking the initiative to be honest with yourself and taking action will take you faraway places beyond your wildest dreams. Don't be the victim in the situation be the winner.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
:rofl: Well, I can give you a lot of the credit MJ, I took a lot of what you have written in previous posts and articles and wrote it around this picture. And the "entitlement" mentality that ATW added is exactly what I forgot to add in. People with this kind of mentality make me sick. All they care about is me, me, me. If you think you deserve a better house, car, life; complaining about it and sulking will never get you there. Taking the initiative to be honest with yourself and taking action will take you faraway places beyond your wildest dreams. Don't be the victim in the situation be the winner.

Complainers can win. But are they happy? I never think they will be.

MJ: But wanna know what is even more limiting? Just as ATW alluded, her entitlement mentality. That will derail her moreso than the debt. No one owes her a job. As it stands right now, shes TAKEN from society more than she has given.

You get what you ask for and stand for. Has nothing to do with taking too much or too little. Take what you can, but deliver what you have promised. That is honest business. Good business. That is what it's all about. This girl lacks marketing skills and stamina, that is why she complain on the streets.

Jul 6, 2009
I think this post reinforces my belief that traditional education is a waste of time. It may be her entire mind set also, yet she just a prime example of the false reality of a college education. A GPA means nothing at all. Its all B.S! In the real world no one actually care if you get straight A's or not. They care about your attitude, communication skills and ability to get things done. But your attitude is the pre-requisite,The one thing school forgot to train people to maintain. Its funny that traditional education doesn't teach children to set goals, be positive or think big, but tell them to spend there money or take out large loans on classes which cannot help the actually succeed in the real world.
When will people wake up and realzie there lives are begin draw out for the in the worst way...
I hope you college graduates begin to think big, set daily goals and make things happen. If not then you will just stuck with a generation of people who have college degrees asking do you want paper or plastic!

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I think this post reinforces my belief that traditional education is a waste of time. It may be her entire mind set also, yet she just a prime example of the false reality of a college education. A GPA means nothing at all. Its all B.S! In the real world no one actually care if you get straight A's or not. They care about your attitude, communication skills and ability to get things done. But your attitude is the pre-requisite,The one thing school forgot to train people to maintain. Its funny that traditional education doesn't teach children to set goals, be positive or think big, but tell them to spend there money or take out large loans on classes which cannot help the actually succeed in the real world.
When will people wake up and realzie there lives are begin draw out for the in the worst way...
I hope you college graduates begin to think big, set daily goals and make things happen. If not then you will just stuck with a generation of people who have college degrees asking do you want paper or plastic!

Good post. I think that most virtues like "Thinking Big" and "Staying positive" are ones that can only be taught by oneself or ones parents. These virtues are usually learned by self-motivation and real world experience and are hard to teach to a student who really doesn't care. Everyone wants to be successful but many do not want to pay their dues, they do not give back enough or even worse, at all. What I have learned over 3 years in high school, is book smarts isn't everything, you need street smarts also, without it life will be long and difficult. Some of the smartest kids in my grade can act so stupidly, that it makes them look like complete fools. You ask them a simple question and they need a complete explanation. "Just answer the simple question I asked!!" I do not having anything against brilliant people or anyone else, its just sometimes people forget to use common sense. :smx4:

.So, today on this Labor Day, many of of us stay home and celebrate our day off from work and school. You have a full 24 hours to do anything you want. Whatever you do is up to you, its your choice. At the end of the day will you be satisfied with what you have done with your time that could get you closer to the fastlane or will you regret that you wasted your time and another day just passed in front of your eyes? Enjoy your day and use it wisely, there is no guarantee for tomorrow.

Well, the day is coming to a close for me and I have completed three things today: I have a professional drawing of my prototype completed with measurements and all for my provisional patent. I also have a list of patent attorneys that I will be emailing to set up a free consultation. I also spent quality time with my family. I am not regretting how I used the time that was given to me today. Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Ahh, but ! She will marry a rich guy and get out of debt ! She was sold a bill of goods and will wake up as many others have.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Tough to know much about this person just from their picture, but if they are $90k in debt to student loans, I'd assume they have atleast a Masters Degree, and quite possibly a PHD. There is no excuse for them to not be able to find employment with such an education right now. Then again, maybe she hasn't graduated, and dropped out without writing her dissertation or something stupid like that?

She does need to work on her appearance for sure... that haircut is ridiculous! haha

But seriously.... My fiance is a PHD intern, and she's already looking at post-doc jobs offered in our state for when she completes internship in 11 months, and there seems to be tons of them, all with near 6 figure incomes.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.