The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Something from Nothing

Repurpose451

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 26, 2019
Sun 5-26-19 9:01 p.m.

Hi:

It distresses me when I see people spend money and what they purchase gets turned into junk (not cared for / maintained, obsolete, out of style). On the other hand, I much prefer to take junk (discards) and turn them into money. I have to admit a certain wonder about the variety of commercial products available which get discarded. One of my favorite discards are pasteboard box containers (that is, candy containers, liquor containers, cereal boxes, etc.) The printing on some of these containers is fantastic and the material is quite durable (can withstand some exposure to water, dust, etc.).

I make my own slip-top boxes. The boxes have cross-like bottoms (base plus four flaps) which can be made from Kraft process corrugated cardboard. I make the tops from discarded pasteboard materials which have interesting colors and printing. The tops must be 1/16 inch to 1/8 inch longer and wider than the cardboard bottoms so that the tops can slip over bottom of the box. I use a razor blade to scribe the top cardboard so that it will bend / fold neatly. I use the same razor blade and make intermittent cuts in the corrugated cardboard so that it will also bend / fold without tearing. Then I use packing tape to connect the flaps together.

I have been harvesting used packing tape from cardboard boxes for years now. Many discarded cardboard boxes are covered with 2 layers of packing tape. The outermost layer can be lifted using a small screwdriver, razor blade or kitchen knife. The recovered tape is like new. The tape which is attached to a cardboard surface can be removed with a heat gun (hair dryer). Caution: Don't burn your fingers with the heat gun. I wrap the recovered tape around a tin can or an orange juice container and use the tape as needed. I have not purchased any tape in years.

I also repurpose plastic film from grocery store food pack containers (that is, cardboard flats covered with plastic sheet). I use a Weller 8200N soldering gun with a tip made from discarded Romex house wiring. The copper tip (not oxygen-free copper) is flattened on the end using a bench vise and a hammer. By folding the plastic sheet over on itself, putting a steel ruler down on the plastic, and running the hot soldering iron tip over the plastic, the plastic sheeting can be cut and sealed. The heavy plastic makes very nice plastic bags.

I sent some repaired product out in plastic bags and homemade boxes. I used 1-1/4 inch high scrap cardboard strips which where coiled up into spirals to protect the fragile product. These products were very competitive with new products.

Regards,

Repurpose451

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.