The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

eCom - Bag Sales

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Here's a simple Ecom idea I found when doing research on competitors for the bag I was going to try to sale. I couldn't get in touch with the manufacturer, so I moved on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I couldn't get in touch with the manufacturer, so I moved on.

If that simple of a problem stops you in your tracks, you're going to struggle with anything in life.

Imagine if Sarah Blakely of Spanx fame stopped pursuing her idea because she couldn't find a phone number, or get in contact with someone. One less billionaire...

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
If that simple of a problem stops you in your tracks, you're going to struggle with anything in life.

Imagine if Sarah Blakely of Spanx fame stopped pursuing her idea because she couldn't find a phone number, or get in contact with someone. One less billionaire...
I wasn't exactly killing the entire idea, I did get in contact with them via WhatsApp. They just weren't very responsive. So I was looking for other manufacturers, but I found that most of the bags were the same across all manufacturer's when looking and most manufacturer's were in China.

I was trying to buy a Sample.

Emailed three times with three separate emails, and was able to finally get ahold of then via WhatsApp. I even tried calling their number as well, the line was dead.

The feedback from Nextdoor though about the bag was great.

1705337155943.png

I was going to start out as a One-Product Store, these were one-time purchases though.

EDIT: Added emails I have sent.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 1.png
    1.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

Don't count me out yet MJ, lol. I don't want to give up on this bag, but I (currently) couldn't find it from other manufacturers.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I'll message them on WhatsApp. Hang tight again. We will have to wait for them to respond. Two numbers, will post updates in the coming days.

No Bueno, looks like they don't want to sell me a single sample...

Update #1:

1705341190648.png

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1.png
    1.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
May 9, 2021
Here's an Ecom one that I found when doing research on competitors for the bag I was going to try to sale. I couldn't get in touch with the manufacturer, so I moved on.

Reading a book from a guy doing something similar to Ryan Moran who is currently standing up his own baby brand and he made a OEKO-TEK certified stroller his keystone and a diaper bag was his next targeted item.

And again, it's wild too because you'd think strollers and bags were done to death or available from China but with the right angle and brand/community you can make something work and find a blue ocean.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Reading a book from a guy doing something similar to Ryan Moran who is currently standing up his own baby brand and he made a OEKO-TEK certified stroller his keystone and a diaper bag was his next targeted item.

and again, it's wild too because you'd think strollers and bags were done to death or available from China but with the right angle and brand/community you can make something work and find a blue ocean.

Thankfully know nothing about the owner, saw someone on twitter complaining it was "Andrew Tate in a can" and poisoning the youth or some crap like that. Anytime I run into something that seems stupid but also is selling and I have a "why didn't I think of that?" or "why didn't I bother to try that?" or "How the hell could I write that off when this guy is putting coffee and caffeine into a jug with a photoshopped dagestani musclemanman onto it and making $$$" I post it in this thread to help myself and hopefully others defeat the head voice saying some things are too simple or not worth it when people are clearly making bank doing just that.
I "ethically" found this idea from a Friend on Facebook, she bought this brand from another entrepreneur, but she let it go. But on Instagram, you saw women/mothers making comments like "OMG I love this bag.", she even started a Kickstart campaign and raised $40,000 dollars to get inventory for the bag.

Each bag cost $150 a piece but would be sold for about $450. I took a video from Spencer Jan about creating a side hustle while working a job. Spencer was living in Shanghai and was a part of the 2008-2010 market crash. He was a manager for a sourcing company and was making 48,000 dollars a year. He had to take a pay cut and was not making enough.

So he sourced mattresses and created a company called SlumberMAXX back in the day, created the website, and hand-delivered every mattress. This was before he created Solo Stove though.

I thought it was a really cool idea considering my situation currently and thought to give it a try. I would link the video, but it reveals another forum member's store here, so I am not going to do that.

I couldn't exactly get the bag's design by the entrepreneur. So this wouldn't be a brand something like native when came to creating a MOAT.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

I got one for you, Kara Goldin wouldn't have created Hint Water if she gave in during the 2008-2010 market crash. She went through and made it a success. She took on investors She explains in her book.

Or you probably remember how Ring (the company that Amazon bought for $1bn) and how all sharks didn't want to invest. He didn't give up either.

That's a cool product.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Well I guess you can sell bags, check this out:

Same bag without a doubt. That's funny.

Not exactly MOAT, but you get experience.

419871603_10231748426643292_2243729233731417346_n.jpg

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I got a call back from the supplier, they are willing to give me a sample. MOQ is a minimum of 100.

They also state that I can change the bag and customize as in color, add extra pockets, change material, etc. A guy called Rohan left a voicemail, so I called him right back. So the woman's feedback could come in handy.

He's suppose to give me an email soon.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Pretty Standard reply.

Not sure I'll get that sample, lol. Still shooting for it.

Asked about it for colors of black and brown.

Responded to his email, will see how much it will cost.

EDIT:
They want to know more about me and to start a possible working relationship together.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_141757_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_141757_Chrome.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240123_141806_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_141806_Chrome.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240123_141815_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_141815_Chrome.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Quote will come in tomorrow, and hopefully a sample.

See you guys tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_144446_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_144446_Chrome.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 7

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
May 9, 2021
I'll message them on WhatsApp. Hang tight again. We will have to wait for them to respond. Two numbers, will post updates in the coming days.

I got a call back from the supplier, they are willing to give me a sample. MOQ is a minimum of 100.
He's suppose to give me an email soon.

They want to know more about me and to start a possible working relationship together.

Quote will come in tomorrow, and hopefully a sample.

Hey Zach, pretty awesome progress getting off the ground and hitting up suppliers.
Didn't you mean to post these all in your own progress thread though, maybe @MJ DeMarco or @Andy Black could migrate them for you? Just want to keep the scope tight and hone in on surprisingly simple stupid opportunities that turned into big, real businesses in here.

WOOOOOOOO

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey Zach, pretty awesome progress getting off the ground and hitting up suppliers.
Didn't you mean to post these all in your own progress thread though, maybe @MJ DeMarco or @Andy Black could migrate them for you? Just want to keep the scope tight and hone in on surprisingly simple stupid opportunities that turned into big, real businesses in here.

WOOOOOOOO
That's fine with me. They came back with a quote of $51.40 per piece at an MOQ of 100. So starting costs $5,140 dollars for this business so far, if I were to pursue it without market validation. Haven't received a sample, yet.

100 minimum per order, per SKU, and per modification. (i.e. one color, one type of material, or one type of change)

Kara Goldin recommended markup the price by 50% for the bag or any product to cover shipping, advertising, etc when calculating your costs.

I've answered their questions in terms of the work relationship that want to have with me. So we will see how it goes next.

Last edited:

Brogan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 14, 2024
I wasn't exactly killing the entire idea, I did get in contact with them via WhatsApp. They just weren't very responsive. So I was looking for other manufacturers, but I found that most of the bags were the same across all manufacturer's when looking and most manufacturer's were in China.

I was trying to buy a Sample.

Emailed three times with three separate emails, and was able to finally get ahold of then via WhatsApp. I even tried calling their number as well, the line was dead.

The feedback from Nextdoor though about the bag was great.

View attachment 53576

I was going to start out as a One-Product Store, these were one-time purchases though.

EDIT: Added emails I have sent.
Maybe its obvious to others but I like how you've setup your boards how systematic it is with the detailed responses I see a host of opportunity from the N0's and Maybe's that are transferable/ Especially the feedback from Leane with the shoulder shoulder pain how many things do people with shoulder pain carry often which would ideally need to be lighter anything from power tools to mops and kitchenware.

I do agree think you dropped it a little too soon. I've got a lot more rambling in my planning that coupled with a black book.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Maybe its obvious to others but I like how you've setup your boards how systematic it is with the detailed responses I see a host of opportunity from the N0's and Maybe's that are transferable/ Especially the feedback from Leane with the shoulder shoulder pain how many things do people with shoulder pain carry often which would ideally need to be lighter anything from power tools to mops and kitchenware.

I do agree think you dropped it a little too soon. I've got a lot more rambling in my planning that coupled with a black book.
I thought the business was too easy as it was just ordering from a supplier. These looked like dropshipping products and not creating a product from scratch. I do still think this idea of the bags does have potential.

Thanks man. I like creating a repeatable processes and organizing my information. However, some people have noticed I don't move the needle in this way.

I'm open to hearing more.

Pretty Girl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Aug 4, 2023
I have an e-commerce store for you. Try selling to Mothers who have children with big purse-looking bags. An old friend of mine bought an e-commerce store a while back from another person. This person created this bag that she sold for $440 dollars a piece. From what I hear, she hasn't been active in the store. It's a product that is known to sell. The bag is a bit pricey but if you could come down on price a bit. It has a huge AOV. Women in particular loved it. The owner sold it to my friend because she wanted to do other endeavors.
To be honest any one who has children and stupid enough to buy a bag for $440 should not make babies and pass down their dumbness to the next generation.

Further your friend bought that business from that person who told your friend that it's a current hot selling item and buy his/her business? ‍‍ (laughing out loud and a facepalm emoji) your friend need to read FastLane

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
To be honest any one who has children and stupid enough to buy a bag for $440 should not make babies and pass down their dumbness to the next generation.

Further your friend bought that business from that person who told your friend that it's a current hot selling item and buy his/her business? ‍‍ (laughing out loud and a facepalm emoji) your friend need to read FastLane
I disagree.

If you read Unscripted , the Instragram page of the ecommerce store has comments such has "OMG, I love this bag." The mothers were happy with the product and even raised $40,000 on a Kickstarter campaign.

The entrepreneur who sold the business to my friend wanted to be a consultant and sell a course instead and that's why they shut down the business/sold to my friend. It's still a good idea and I had plenty of women who were interested in the idea but my bags couldn't compare. It had elements of productocracy, the business just never got off the ground.

These bags were made from scratch as well and weren't drop shipped from Temu or Alibaba.

She has read TMF , she pursued another venture.

Last edited:

Brogan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 14, 2024

Harsh much there are parents who spend $440 on bags it depends on whether or not it meets the customers needs and if they value it enough to spend that.

Additionally the thread is about "simple stupid business" so a little stupid is expected.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
So just for fun looking at bags last night on Alibaba. Getting a sample of each bag would have costed me $100 - $140 from one supplier. Another wanted $230 dollars.

The material on each bag is PU leather (Fake leather) so not a great material for use.

I could in this case, buy one, then go to say Target or find locations where Moms go and get feedback from each bag, thus giving me great detail on what I should create for another bag or what to change. 50 responses will be good enough for a sample detail.

For the dropshipping products each unit (or bag in this case was about $10 dollars to $25).

One supplier wanted an Minimum MOQ of 100 pieces at the price point if $10 dollars to $25. Starting costs would be $1,000 to $2,500. One wanted an MOQ of 500. So 500 x $25 dollars could be $12,500. Just to start.

Now we need to market the product. You could do several things:

1. Create videos like Spenny on Instragm UGC content.
2. Find influencers on Instagram and pay them $50 dollars a post and/or create the UGC content.
3. Paid Advertisinf channels: Facebook, Instagram, Snapshot, TikTok.

A good marketing budget could $1,000 to begin with together tons of data.

This is all theoretical and just writing this out st this point.

But products that are created from Scrarch like Hint Water, Spennys product, Lemon Juice Organics is probably what you want to do.

This is numbers for a dropshipping product sourcing from Alibaba or Temu.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Notes:

I'll reveal the bags why not, here the two:

1. Outdoor Waterproof Customized Vegan Leather Mommy Bag High Quality Pu Mommy Backpack Luxury Nappy Baby Carrier Diaper Bag - Buy Luxury Folding Wet Tote Nappy Mommy Bag Waterproof Brown Baby Diaper Bag Backpack multifunctional Outdoor Travel Diaper Bag Baby Waterproof Mummy Diaper Bags Nappy Wet Bag all Categories Featured Selections Trade Assurance Buyer Central Become A Supplier Help Center Get The App Wholesale 3 In 1 Baby Product on Alibaba.com
-Sample costs:
$230 dollar's per supplier's conversation. Almost a car payment or several utility bills.
-Minimum MOQ:
-Price per Unit:
$10.50 cent's a bag.

1715903194484.png

2. Waterproof Mommy Travel Baby Bag Stroller Strap Diaper Bag Backpack Organizer Diaper Storage Pu Leather Baby Bag Diaper Backpack - Buy Baby Diaper Backpack diaper Bag Backpack Leather bag Backpack Organizer Diaper Storage Organizer Product on Alibaba.com
-Sample Costs:
$130.

1715903340969.png
-Minimum MOQ:
-Price per Unit:
Starting $12.99 for under 200 units.

Hope you guys enjoyed this thread so far. Just looking and giving you some idea's of what dropshippers do in the background when selling products.

Process Path:
1. Setup a Shopify Store.
2. Find an product in-demand.
3. Run Advertising.
4. Pocket the difference.

Starting Costs:

COGS:

500 pieces x $10.50 (Bag 1) = $5,250
Sample:
$230.
Advertising:
$500 - $1,000
Sale Price:
Base price of bag x 3 times markup = $31.50 or $45

It looks too easy in my opinion.

Last edited:

Andy Dala

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
May 14, 2024
Sydney
Notes:

I'll reveal the bags why not, here the two:

1. Outdoor Waterproof Customized Vegan Leather Mommy Bag High Quality Pu Mommy Backpack Luxury Nappy Baby Carrier Diaper Bag - Buy Luxury Folding Wet Tote Nappy Mommy Bag Waterproof Brown Baby Diaper Bag Backpack multifunctional Outdoor Travel Diaper Bag Baby Waterproof Mummy Diaper Bags Nappy Wet Bag all Categories Featured Selections Trade Assurance Buyer Central Become A Supplier Help Center Get The App Wholesale 3 In 1 Baby Product on Alibaba.com
-Sample costs:
$230 dollar's per supplier's conversation. Almost a car payment or several utility bills.
-Minimum MOQ:
-Price per Unit:
$10.50 cent's a bag.

View attachment 55967

2. Waterproof Mommy Travel Baby Bag Stroller Strap Diaper Bag Backpack Organizer Diaper Storage Pu Leather Baby Bag Diaper Backpack - Buy Baby Diaper Backpack diaper Bag Backpack Leather bag Backpack Organizer Diaper Storage Organizer Product on Alibaba.com
-Sample Costs:
$130.

View attachment 55968
-Minimum MOQ:
-Price per Unit:
Starting $12.99 for under 200 units.

Hope you guys enjoyed this thread so far. Just looking and giving you some idea's of what dropshippers do in the background when selling products.

Process Path:
1. Setup a Shopify Store.
2. Find an product in-demand.
3. Run Advertising.
4. Pocket the difference.

Starting Costs:

COGS:

500 pieces x $10.50 (Bag 1) = $5,250
Sample:
$230.
Advertising:
$500 - $1,000
Sale Price:
Base price of bag x 3 times markup = $31.50 or $45

It looks too easy in my opinion.
Have you tried manufacturers in India? I was there a week back , met all the manufacturers I spoke with, got my samples made at the quoted cost of my article. China is already flooded with enquiries , Indian manufacturers are hungry for sales, so you might get a better price and service, doesn’t hurt to try.
all the best.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Have you tried manufacturers in India? I was there a week back , met all the manufacturers I spoke with, got my samples made at the quoted cost of my article. China is already flooded with enquiries , Indian manufacturers are hungry for sales, so you might get a better price and service, doesn’t hurt to try.
all the best.
No not yet. Not sure what I am going to do with this idea. It looks too easy to me. Buying the bags and marketing them. It appears dropshipy to me. Though with that being said I would totally be surprised if the bags do sell, lol.

Just the MOQ alone is a hefty price to pay for my financial budget. Doable if I sell Websites.

I'm gearing towards Freelancing as a Launchpad to do these ideas getting startup capital, but also I'm looking for a difficult problem to work on as a challenge. I already have one idea that I didn't continue in 2022. This thread was sort of to demonstrate how a dropshipper can find products and sell them from Alibaba or Temu.

I checked in with a portfolio client the other day that I worked on her website with. She made a sell from a Google Search.

They found her from a Google Search in Tyler Texas for the business service she provides, filled out the questionnaire and she made a $7k sale from a website I created (I think I could use a brush up on) and a $2,300 sale for a fireplace.

She turns red brick and stone into a German schmear mortar color. I was blown away when I heard this. Unbelievable, good news, just shocked.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.