The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The fears and woes of outsourcing

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Jimi L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 8, 2014
I am planning on outsourcing the design and develop of my mobile apps through a freelance website like elance. I have layouts for severely original games. I have ideas but not technological know how to produce them nor the time. I will probably use an Asian based company because the price can't be beat. But I have worries about outsourcing my intellectual property. what if they steal my idea? What stops them from copying plans and tweaking their own version?

What are your outsourcing horror stories or triumphs?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ajay2390

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 27, 2014
London, UK
I am planning on outsourcing the design and develop of my mobile apps through a freelance website like elance. I have layouts for severely original games. I have ideas but not technological know how to produce them nor the time. I will probably use an Asian based company because the price can't be beat. But I have worries about outsourcing my intellectual property. what if they steal my idea? What stops them from copying plans and tweaking their own version?

What are your outsourcing horror stories or triumphs?

Quality over quantity is Very Important.

Jimi L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 8, 2014
Quality over quantity is Very Important.
Undeniable, each of my products will be tested and carved out of marble and trimmed with gold. These are my babies after all. But can you get quality programs out of Asian based companies? I have seen done pretty good example but it is trap?

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
Did you do any apps before? Keep in mind to write very specific specs, which conveys your needs pretty accurate. Do not let the developers make anything up their mind, until you trust them.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Outsourcing, in general, requires the ability to maintain a strong vision while being open to the process.

As long as the people you work with have a proven portfolio, or are willing to work until you get exactly what you want, you should be fine. In terms of fearing the theft of an idea, remember that ideas are a dime a dozen, but it's execution that's priceless.

If you've paid them to do the job, add a non-disclosure and a non-compete clause if you feel the need to. Collecting on this if they decide not to cooperate might be an issue, but overall if it gives you peace of mind, go for it.

Overall though, quality and delivery of goods is what usually destroys my desire to outsource. I've outsourced so many different things and I feel what you get in terms for paying on price you make up for by losing out on communication. I'd much rather have a team I can communicate clearly too instead of having things lost in translation.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Last edited by a moderator:

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm on the exact same boat as Jimi
Iv recently came up with the idea for 3 apps but its more about trust and execution but has anyone else on the forum already released an app?

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Its not necessarily trafficking my app as such.
Its more about getting it started obviously I could type into Google which I already have Glasgow/Scotland app developers but there is none sticking out and i'm sure they'll be over priced if any reputable one is dealing with Sony/Football teams/etc.
Im not expecting to create an app for free but just dont want to put out £2-4k for something that isnt going to return. So just wanting to speak to a few more forum members before committing to anything.

I have a few friends that are journalists and maybe be able to do interviews or reviews on my app to get it publicized or at least noticed plus my niche idea is a really common problem where im living at the moment.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Its not necessarily trafficking my app as such.
Yes it is, you just don't know it yet.

So just wanting to speak to a few more forum members before committing to anything.
If you join the INSIDERS, you can listen to my recorded call and look at the specs of my phone app and my process of finding an outsource team to produce it. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/insider-call-outsourcing-with-elance.45914/

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.