The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Should I do With this Rare Skill ?

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
Where you flying from that a RT flight to Vegas is a grand?

Just sounds like a lot of excuses. If you are top 25 in the world you will find ways to make bets and money. If that means changing your strategy from two 5k bets to ten 1k bets, then do that.

East Coast.. just checked priceline and the lowest was $920 this Friday. Ten 1K bets is just not how it works.. no great players play 10 games in one day. You play games where the line is off, and the line is not off on every single game. I can tell some people just don't believe me, and that's fine. I appreciate all the advice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
So how did you sell that many copies in 2 weeks? Did you have a list to market to already? Clickbank? Amazon? Would really appreciate the tip.

No, I didn't have a list, I didn't use click bank, I didn't use amazon. A lot of it is a blur though, I did this back in 2011.

I started by writing a 'book'. It was about 20 pages long. Then I bought a cheap brandable domain on godaddy and used their old website builder to make a sales page. I made a 4 page site, it took me about a week just to figure out how to use the godaddy site builder haha. Then I went to gambling forums and I started getting involved in the conversations. I made a few sales directly on the forums. Then I added a small forum to the site to funnel people into a paid section, where I trained them on the methods.

It was pretty simple. And posting controversial stuff really made my sales shoot up. I eventually became tired of dealing with gamblers. So I made a drop dead date for sales, meaning that I cut off all sales on a certain day. I think that I made another 5k in the last hour of my sales. It's amazing what scarcity will do. It may have been stupid to kill the product, but I wanted out.

Most of my clients were from Europe and China.

So like I said, it's not really that hard. In fact, I think that it's extremely easy to make money selling gambling products.

BUT...I don't think that it's worth it. I would much rather build a business of value. I"ll never go back down that road again..

And realize...this was not a business. Doing something like what Jack did in his thread is a real business. That is hard. My gambling book was idk...me chasing money I guess.

WalterBellhaven

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 12, 2012
Southern California
Although they're still working out the legal issues, NJ is trying to legalize sports betting in Atlantic City. If they get that sorted out, you could make the shorter trip next season to make your bets without the high fixed cost of a flight to Vegas.

gummybear

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 19, 2013
The plan wasn't to criticize you about everything. But you have to defend the statements that you make, or otherwise don't bring it up until it's the right time. Claiming 70% win rates, 25 grand in winnings and no time for Vegas doesn't sound right to anyone.

Putting that behind us. There are all kinds of stories about professional handicappers. I've read about several on Yahoo news. Here's one guy, he charges about $1k per season. (https://drbobsports.com/members.cfm?p=4) There are other guys, the top ones I've seen charge $3k per season with an unknown amount of subscribers. It's unknown whether they're real value-based deals or if it's just a scam.

I believe the spread is mostly designed so that you have a near 50% chance to win. It's almost a coin-flip. But in the short term, you can go 8-2, 5-5, or 3-7. If a guy goes 8-2 he thinks he's a genius. If he goes 3-7 he thinks that luck is against him. If you really have a system, it needs to be consistent over the course of hundreds of games and should involve betting in similar units (such as $100 per game, not $100 here, $400 there, $50 there).

The spread is created by companies with lots of money on the line. For the average person to beat the spread is for you, a single person in your spare time, to outplay a dedicated team of linemakers. This seems pretty difficult and unlikely in the long run.

In any case, what you can do is get together a group of gamblers/investors to pool your money. Then you'd have more capital and more bookie accounts to make bets with. Either way, nothing beats actually going to Vegas.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
Although they're still working out the legal issues, NJ is trying to legalize sports betting in Atlantic City. If they get that sorted out, you could make the shorter trip next season to make your bets without the high fixed cost of a flight to Vegas.

I know I have been hoping and waiting a few years now on Atlantic City. Brother in law lives on Long Island so I could definitely work something out to stay up there and make it a little less risky. It's more than just money because I would have to quit my job.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
The plan wasn't to criticize you about everything. But you have to defend the statements that you make, or otherwise don't bring it up until it's the right time. Claiming 70% win rates, 25 grand in winnings and no time for Vegas doesn't sound right to anyone.

Putting that behind us. There are all kinds of stories about professional handicappers. I've read about several on Yahoo news. Here's one guy, he charges about $1k per season. (https://drbobsports.com/members.cfm?p=4) There are other guys, the top ones I've seen charge $3k per season with an unknown amount of subscribers. It's unknown whether they're real value-based deals or if it's just a scam.

I believe the spread is mostly designed so that you have a near 50% chance to win. It's almost a coin-flip. But in the short term, you can go 8-2, 5-5, or 3-7. If a guy goes 8-2 he thinks he's a genius. If he goes 3-7 he thinks that luck is against him. If you really have a system, it needs to be consistent over the course of hundreds of games and should involve betting in similar units (such as $100 per game, not $100 here, $400 there, $50 there).

The spread is created by companies with lots of money on the line. For the average person to beat the spread is for you, a single person in your spare time, to outplay a dedicated team of linemakers. This seems pretty difficult and unlikely in the long run.

In any case, what you can do is get together a group of gamblers/investors to pool your money. Then you'd have more capital and more bookie accounts to make bets with. Either way, nothing beats actually going to Vegas.

I get what you are saying. Time is really not so much the issue, its the amount that you really need to have to make it worth while betting only a few games. I would maybe go with $50k at the least and plan to live there. It is unlikely to beat the line in the long run but it is possible. Even 60 minutes did a special on one of the more well-known cappers that has made millions. I definitely don't think I'm a genius I have put in tons of work and do every season to get those numbers.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
Also - some will disagree but my belief is the line is really designed to get even money on both sides, and of course the book makes the vig as profit. Sometimes it will be very accurate and get even money on both sides. Sometimes it will be very "innacurate" if accuracy is a prediction of the outcomes but still get even money. That's where the value is.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
If you think you can make more money doing this, move to a country (or Vegas) where it is legal. Otherwise, write a book on the subject and sell it.

Best of luck, sounds like an exhilarating skill to have!

Gravy

mlk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Dec 23, 2013
Don't want to hate or anything, but I have a feeling that you could have just signed up to get someone to give you money for betting or something.

Statements like "1k is not how it works...need 5k" or the fact that you signed up just yesterday and immediately created this thread.

Just a heads a up to let others know this angle of view.

Montina Portis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
There is a gentleman that was doing well on eBay selling tickets to events. He started seeing a few others doing the same thing yet not many. He decided to write a book about the process. Of course that brought in competition yet it also brought along loyal clients as he continued to develop products. I say write the book, self-publish it under a pen name and charge a higher "premium" price for the content. Make it general and offer a coaching group for $X of dollars for those that want access to you. Create videos within the group and after you have a few dozen videos and some content then you can create a membership site. If they want one-on-one coaching then make it a higher dollar. Hope this helps!

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
This takes me back to an old quote: Don't dig for gold, sell shovels.

That's a favorite quote of mine too. Here's what I think the issue is with that. Selling shovels, is selling the tool everyone needs to get the gold. The Commandment of Need, among others, is filled there.

Taking this statement at face value
if it gets REALLY popular, it will actually change the industry rendering it (and my strategies) less effective.
when put back into the "sell shovels" quote, seems like he would be writing a book telling where the gold is at.
Not a perfect analogy, but I think it's close. Sure, he'll be dead wrong sometimes, but relative to the rest of the industry, 70% is great.

So to revise the above, maybe he give directions to where 10 gold mines are, and only 7 end up being there. He's still got a lot of happy customers. And curious too, if he didn't tell them how he got there....

-So, selling the book could both put him out of business, and then obsolete itself, depending on how many did what was taught.
-Selling the book with minimal/misleading info would make him like the rest of the industry.
-If he added “up-sell” to minimal info, to draw people in to his actual product, all the people who didn’t want to risk taking the second step (which they would be charged for, somehow) would probably give the book bad reviews, since they didn’t get solid answers from it. And then sales drop, and with it, the books popularity, and so on.

Make it general and offer a coaching group for $X of dollars for those that want access to you. Create videos within the group and after you have a few dozen videos and some content then you can create a membership site. If they want one-on-one coaching then make it a higher dollar.

Something along those lines is what I would suggest. A paid subscription of sorts seems like it might work best. Maybe the subscription wouldn't be geared towards all the information, but to the picks. A little like some newsletter with stock recommendations, that want you to pay them for their picks.

These "letters" always try to convince you (with data, "examples, etc) to trust them and buy into their pick. So figure out how to give them a bit of a background spoiler on your pick without giving your pick away perhaps, offer them a buy-in option to learn about your pick, or maybe even give a free pick away to each new "subscriber" (monitor by tracking ip's so that for the most part, no one is getting multiple picks free).

Based on your pick success, and subscriber list, you can begin increasing the price and create a subscription system of various levels. I wanted to say take a commission on their win, but tracking that would be a nightmare, so probably not a good idea.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
East Coast.. just checked priceline and the lowest was $920 this Friday. Ten 1K bets is just not how it works.. no great players play 10 games in one day. You play games where the line is off, and the line is not off on every single game. I can tell some people just don't believe me, and that's fine. I appreciate all the advice.

Well next year you would buy your tickets a little ahead of time so they won't be $1k. And you would rent an apartment for $700 a month and live there from August to January. So what I'd do is save up your bankroll from now until August so you can get there with a healthy amount to play with.

If you are winning 70% next year consistently, you will have no problems finding money over there. I understand that 70% can mean going 0 for 4 on a weekend, but you balance that out with 3 for 4 the next 4 weeks. You need to have enough bankroll to do that. So if you had $12k, you'd have to go $1k on your bets at first.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
There is a gentleman that was doing well on eBay selling tickets to events. He started seeing a few others doing the same thing yet not many. He decided to write a book about the process. Of course that brought in competition yet it also brought along loyal clients as he continued to develop products. I say write the book, self-publish it under a pen name and charge a higher "premium" price for the content. Make it general and offer a coaching group for $X of dollars for those that want access to you. Create videos within the group and after you have a few dozen videos and some content then you can create a membership site. If they want one-on-one coaching then make it a higher dollar. Hope this helps!
^This is genius

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.