The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why not take off your coat and stay a while?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Genuine question...

I've heard it said that business is mostly about building relationships.

Yet, why do some people feel they need to control the platform where they start and build relationships with people?

We see people come and go in this forum where their intention is to get members to signup to their own platform (blog, email list, forum, etc). Their goal is to build a relationship with them, offer value, and then, I guess, eventually sell something of value.

I'm curious what you guys think about this.

If these new members genuinely want to help people (or at least build a relationship with them) then why not do so on this platform?

Do they want the greater control of owning the "platform" where they engage with their followers? Even if it's at the expense of getting more followers (since their attempts to pull people over often seem clumsy and cringe-worthy)?

Plenty of people build followings on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, etc. They don't control those platforms.

Why are some people putting this illusion of control ahead of their end goals of building relationships, helping people, and ultimately getting paid for doing so?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Genuine question...

The more we help people, and the more people we help, the better our businesses will be.

Yet, why do some people feel they need to control the platform where they start and build relationships with people?

We see people come and go in this forum where their intention is to get members to signup to their own platform (blog, email list, forum, etc). Their goal is to build a relationship with them, offer value, and then, I guess, eventually sell something of value.

This post isn't really a dig at those people, because they probably don't stick around long enough to read it anyway.

If these new members genuinely want to help people (or at least build a relationship with them) then why not do so on this platform?

Do they want the greater control of owning the "platform" where they engage with their followers? Even if it's at the expense of getting more followers (since their attempts to pull people over often seem clumsy and cringe-worthy)?

Plenty of people build followings on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, etc. They don't control those platforms.

Why are they putting this illusion of control ahead of their end goals of building relationships, helping people, and ultimately getting paid for doing so?
They're not ready to be members here yet.

phenom4hire

Onwards and Upwards
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 26, 2011
Jesup, GA
Personally I would not use this forum as a way to drum up business for myself at least until I feel like Ive contributed enough value to do so.

It just seems tacky to me to go to a forum and immediately start hawking your list or whatever. I am more than happy to participate/help out those who put a lot into this forum.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
Genuine question...

The more we help people, and the more people we help, the better our businesses will be.

Why are they putting this illusion of control ahead of their end goals of building relationships, helping people, and ultimately getting paid for doing so?

What attracted me to this forum was the fact there's ton's of great people offering advice from their experiences on how to help you help yourself get motivated. People willing to give their time posting their thoughts, ideas and experience. The last thing I want to do is use this forum as a platform to solicit business. Besides, I'm in a niche business, and there's about zero chance anyone here would be interested in my business anyway.

I'm a noob here, but after a while, I'd also like to contribute and share knowledge and experiences like so many other's here do. I've still got a lot more reading to do, especially the gold threads, which I've been doing as time permits.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I would say there are two different mindsets. Chasing money and not interested in relationships. Perhaps I'm going to get rich quickly over night and see the results tomorrow. Those false expectations of starting a business and becoming an overnight success. I just leave my two cents here and it will give me a lead without making any investment or creating a stable foundation.

For promoting business I think it depends on where you're at and what services you provide. The niche may not apply to many people here. As in being a writer, you're better off hanging in screen writing forums or novel platforms etc. For coaching, well you have to be at a certain level to perform with Entrepreneurs and Businessmen. So timing is also key.

Just from being in here for a year, I can tell you if they leave they're not invested in success or doing things the right way, but looking for short cuts.

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
I would say there are two different mindsets. Chasing money and not interested in relationships. Perhaps I'm going to get rich quickly over night and see the results tomorrow. Those false expectations of starting a business and becoming an overnight success. I just leave my two cents here and it will give me a lead without making any investment or creating a stable foundation.

For promoting business I think it depends on where you're at and what services you provide. The niche may not apply to many people here. As in being a writer, you're better off hanging in screen writing forums or novel platforms etc. For coaching, well you have to be at a certain level to perform with Entrepreneurs and Businessmen. So timing is also key.

Just from being in here for a year, I can tell you if they leave they're not invested in success or doing things the right way, but looking for short cuts.

Trying to take a short cut without putting in the effort may cause you to unintentionally hug a palm tree with your new Viper while taking a turn too fast (hope M.J. doesn't read this...LOL).

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Trying to take a short without putting in the effort may cause you to unintentionally hug a palm tree with your new Viper while taking a turn too fast (hope M.J. doesn't read this...LOL).
Amazing how some like to hug palm trees over and over again until they've beat their head enough times, and feel the pain. Detours always take you thousands of miles in the wrong direction. Watch out for the headlights they might blind you.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
All I know is that people here are unlike anywhere else, so I keep coming back. I I haven't had a job in a long time, but my mind is always working. When I am here, I tend to switch gears - I get engaged by the attitudes here. I, for one, need that, because living inside my head gets old and quite taxing after a while. So - I come here. And if any of you decide to buy my course, great. All the rest of it is above my pay-grade...

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
why do some people feel they need to control the platform where they start and build relationships with people?

Well isn't that one of the major teachings of MJ? Control.

Personally I don't believe in having 100% control, I would be totally happy with a thriving business on Amazon. I would be happy if I had a hugely popular video blog on Youtube. And selling courses on Udemy.

Not worrying about control can mean you can scale way faster, get much bigger and make more money.

You gotta be nuts if you want to sell courses on your own website, with all the hassle of maintaining your website, security, payments etc

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Trying to take a short cut without putting in the effort may cause you to unintentionally hug a palm tree with your new Viper while taking a turn too fast (hope M.J. doesn't read this...LOL).
LOL, it's okay--the new vipers have traction control now. In all seriousness, I agree with this post a lot. People looking for a short cut, people who may misinterpret the book or simply don't read it at all.

I view this community as highly valuable to those who are willing to put in the work and effort. I'm actually happy a lot of people get put off and leave; the forum seems to have a self-filtering mechanism created by its users that keeps the forum from turning into another "everyone" forum. Not to mention the awesome staff members who work hard to maintain the forum's integrity.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Genuine question...

I think Gary V says it best: Marketers ruin everything.

I think it is an Internet Marketer mindset. Spam as much as possible, and hope something sticks. If you get banned, oh well.

Nicko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Oct 14, 2015
Australia
It's the same mentality as the people who make a post asking for help / advice and then ignore all of the responses they get. ??

Ultimately they're unlikely to succeed because they're not interested in contributing anything of value. They're too busy promoting themselves to engage meaningfully with anyone else.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana

I really can't recall seeing the kind of posts you're talking about, so my response may be completely off the mark. Apologies in advance if it turns out I have no idea what I'm talking about, it happens often! ;)

Having said that... this forum is about the Fastlane methodology, and so has a specific focus and beliefs that must be followed. Don't remember exactly but someone here made a statement along the lines of, "If you come in here with the wrong beliefs we'll beat on you until you're fixed." If someone wanted to have discussions about other forms of business, say Social Enterprise (has nothing to do with Social Media, for those who don't know what it is), you couldn't possibly do that here. It's fundamentally incompatible with Fastlane principles, even though there's lots of activity and discussion about it elsewhere, and people who have become successful going that route.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I really can't recall seeing the kind of posts you're talking about
That's good.

Forum members report spam when they see it, and mods delete the post/thread if it's breaking forum rules.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
It's like the spambots that appears on comments for various other forums, people just looking for a quick buck.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Also, when I read Andy's post, my mind converted it to "Stay a while and listen". I suspect many will not get the reference, but for those that do, you are now reading this in his voice.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Last edited by a moderator:

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Possibly, greed, short-term thinking and selfishness.

Some people are simply takers and give as little as possible but want to take as much as possible. Scarcity mindset perhaps?

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Wow, what a great thread.

I've been around so to speak, and I've encountered all types of people. I think that this forum might in some part attract people who are of selfish little minds looking for a get rich quick system. They've not read the book , or did so using Tai Lopez's reading method. They haven't grasped what the whole fastlane is really about. They feel that this is just another forum filled with get rich quick ideas. This forum is far from being what they expect it to be. So they look around to see what they can take for themselves. They don't see any value in helping others, others are pawns to take from. They are not fastlane material, at this time. they may never be. So don't let the transients get to you, they are just not ready to be here and are not open to your help.

I'm new here, I stumbled onto this forum while googling something else. I joined since I see value here, not just in the wisdom of the posts but also in the quality of the average person here. I want to learn to better myself so that in turn I can better serve others. I may not have much fastlane advice to share at this time, I do have my own lifetimes worth of personal experiences and history to share with people.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Because my platform is moldy bananas compared to this. I know where I came from, I'm not about to ruin my greatest resource by SPAMMING it.

I think it reflects a lot about what the person is in the real world too. Are they genuinely interested in making a change, or do they just want to sell you something and get out?

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Also, when I read Andy's post, my mind converted it to "Stay a while and listen". I suspect many will not get the reference, but for those that do, you are now reading this in his voice.

First thing I thought of. Is it no surprise we're both programmers?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump, fwiw...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think Gary V says it best: Marketers ruin everything.

I think it is an Internet Marketer mindset. Spam as much as possible, and hope something sticks. If you get banned, oh well.
I suspect this is the reason. People buying Warrior Forum products telling them to do "forum marketing".

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
Ah, but it's used both in Braveheart and Diablo!? Which one or is yet another reference?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump.

I’m not trying to stop the tide coming in, just trying to save one little starfish at a time.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I’m not trying to stop the tide coming in, just trying to save one little starfish at a time.
Ha ha...some star fish like to be thrown back in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.