The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Earn $50 by June 31st. Budget $350

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Road1996

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 15, 2016
New York
Man I honestly feel like I'm in the same exact boat as you.

It's terrifying because you know deep down that you have to do this or you're going to live your whole life in mediocrity as a side walker so you get motivated for a bit to then discover that you have no idea what to do and get discouraged even more and more.

Sorry for rambling on but this is how I feel right now as I am also trying to get into E-commerce.

Well,

Nothing much useful to post except stating that I realized I am a true sidewalker. I understand I am burning forum's storage space with my shit... W.e. It helps me get over my problems and maybe someone else could relate.

Whatever, shit will get better. Burned through my budget really fast. $100 remaining (only because I got it from ads that were running on my games for over few years now).

Out of few dozen Upwork applications I got only 1 job so far. That's better than nothing, and considering the tendency with Upwork's clients wanting native english speakers who could professionally write copy for their product descriptions at a whopping $1-5 budget, it feels ridiculous.

W.e I am just tired of this shit. Lessons learned so far:
  • Pull back your ego and stay humble.
  • Learn as much as possible and be genuinely interested in the work.
  • I am not trying hard enough to get clients and not doing my diligence proving to them the value of great copy. Probably I am not that skilled enough

Overall achievements so far: $60 Upwork + $75 direct through Paypal. Got myself into trading time for dollars, but at least I am building my vocabulary and some other things.

I think it's time to move on, soon.

Money's gonna end soon. Dark times are coming, so let's brighten them up.

:headbanger:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Man I honestly feel like I'm in the same exact boat as you.

It's terrifying because you know deep down that you have to do this or you're going to live your whole life in mediocrity as a side walker so you get motivated for a bit to then discover that you have no idea what to do and get discouraged even more and more.

Sorry for rambling on but this is how I feel right now as I am also trying to get into E-commerce.

You'd be surprised how many of us, losers, on here whining about our failures :vomit: :puke: :tiphat:

Well, maybe the thought of dropshipping from Aliexpress isn't so bad after all. Perhaps I'll resume.

What was bothering me:
  • shipping, faq, policies - now don't because I got the chance to paraphrase some for my client, plus I looked at other compaies' shipping and lot's of them don't bother and have 5-15 business day shipping times.
  • Selling generic items - well, solve it by finding the people that need the item and market to them
  • allocate $50 on advertising budget and write it off as a lesson.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
So, I would like to share with everyone that I am officially on the Next Level of Comfort. That is I am able to earn $25/Day ($650/Month) by providing value to others on Upwork (well, one person, but I am still trying). The point was to prove that I am able to earn and sustain myself from working online and if all goes to hell, I would end up freelancing, and not at a 9-5.

So, what's your next level of comfort, eTox? How will you know you have achieved it?

Bring in consistently $25/day of profit through Facebook ads on eCommerce store by giving people what they want and need.
  • 5 sales at $5 net profit margin
  • 3 sales at $10 net profit margin
  • 2 sales at $15 net profit margin
  • 1 sale at $25 net profit margin

What does my day look like from now on?
  • Earn money from Upwork and using that to fund my venture
  • Spend $15-30/day on advertising on Facebook to learn the ins and outs of Facebook ad campaigns and how I can use them to drive customers to my website. Expect to spend $10-30 on ads before a person buys a product. Expect to spend a lot of money on mistakes. Read blogs, apply knowledge to action.
  • Learn copywriting and practice it on
    • Facebook ad sets
    • Product description copy
    • Write some related blog posts for my website's products that give value
To sum up, the main focus will be to spend money on Facebook, to make money and get real world data about my product selection success and my copywriting skills.

Until later.

Road1996

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 15, 2016
New York
Have you read Walter Hay's eBook or Jim Cockrum's course by any chance?

So, I would like to share with everyone that I am officially on the Next Level of Comfort. That is I am able to earn $25/Day ($650/Month) by providing value to others on Upwork (well, one person, but I am still trying). The point was to prove that I am able to earn and sustain myself from working online and if all goes to hell, I would end up freelancing, and not at a 9-5.

So, what's your next level of comfort, eTox? How will you know you have achieved it?

Bring in consistently $25/day of profit through Facebook ads on eCommerce store by giving people what they want and need.
  • 5 sales at $5 net profit margin
  • 3 sales at $10 net profit margin
  • 2 sales at $15 net profit margin
  • 1 sale at $25 net profit margin

What does my day look like from now on?
  • Earn money from Upwork and using that to fund my venture
  • Spend $15-30/day on advertising on Facebook to learn the ins and outs of Facebook ad campaigns and how I can use them to drive customers to my website. Expect to spend $10-30 on ads before a person buys a product. Expect to spend a lot of money on mistakes. Read blogs, apply knowledge to action.
  • Learn copywriting and practice it on
    • Facebook ad sets
    • Product description copy
    • Write some related blog posts for my website's products that give value
To sum up, the main focus will be to spend money on Facebook, to make money and get real world data about my product selection success and my copywriting skills.

Until later.

Last edited:

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Have you read Walter Hay's eBook or Jim Cockrum's course by any chance?

so helpful have you

Unfortunately, I haven't got the chance yet, but I heard Walter Hay's eBook has some valuable information. Since I am not importing just yet, I haven't read it.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
I think you're WAY too worried about the opinion of some book (and random people on the internet that don't know you). The answer to that? Go do stuff. Creating a successful business can be accomplished with the following plan:

1) create a SIMPLE plan (with as few steps as possible)
2) Take action
3) evaluate your results
4) modify plan as needed and repeat

At this point, you don't know if you have grit or not. The only way to know is to get out there and keep doing stuff until you're successful. When you're successful, you'll have proven to yourself that you have grit.

I just wanted to put this post in my thread here so I can see it a bit more frequently. I believe, at the current state of mind that I have, this is essentially it.

F*ck all of the mental masturbation, guru shit, and thinking. It eats your brain and shits fear instead of it.

The only thing that matters is results. And you only get results through action. And action is achieved by taking a F*cking first step. No matter what it is. List the easiest things you can do first towards your goal. Do it. Once done, update the plan with more simple steps. Think, take action, evaluate, repeat.

Who the F*ck gives a shit about planning? Only to get your pants wet from fearing the whole god damn things? And afterall, mostly all of the plans dont go through cause they are F*cking plans. They aren't reality, they aren't what the marketplace is. You are foretelling, and that is not practical.

There is a good Russian proverb that I like, Gary Vaynerchuk also mentioned: If you want to make God laugh, share your plans with him. Aka a man has plans, and god laughs.

Meaning: wipe your a$$ with your plans, and go dig the dirt, do something.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just wanted to put this post in my thread here so I can see it a bit more frequently. I believe, at the current state of mind that I have, this is essentially it.

F*ck all of the mental masturbation, guru shit, and thinking. It eats your brain and shits fear instead of it.

The only thing that matters is results. And you only get results through action. And action is achieved by taking a F*cking first step. No matter what it is. List the easiest things you can do first towards your goal. Do it. Once done, update the plan with more simple steps. Think, take action, evaluate, repeat.

Who the F*ck gives a shit about planning? Only to get your pants wet from fearing the whole god damn things? And afterall, mostly all of the plans dont go through cause they are F*cking plans. They aren't reality, they aren't what the marketplace is. You are foretelling, and that is not practical.

There is a good Russian proverb that I like, Gary Vaynerchuk also mentioned: If you want to make God laugh, share your plans with him. Aka a man has plans, and god laughs.

I had an email in my inbox a few months back.

The subject line was something like "7 ways to build trust for your business".

(Sorry, it was probably more like "7 Ways To Build Trust For Your Business".)

I sat back and looked at that subject line for a while.

Really?

I need to know 7 ways to build trust for my business?

Businesses are just people.

Do I really need to know how to make people "trust me"?

Do I have to have that spelt out to me, or would my parents have already done that before I turned 7?

I deleted the email without opening it.

Then wondered about the "fear" or "inadequacy" that subject line was trying to create in me.

Until I saw that subject line I didn't know I didn't know 7 ways to make businesses trust me.

I was happily ignorant of this deficiency of mine.

I was taking action, not worrying about something I wasn't even aware of.

Protect yourself from those that would have you believe you need to learn more before you start.

You already know enough.

Go.

Road1996

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 15, 2016
New York
I apologize, my first step has been educating myself on what to do and I wanted to know if the book I was looking for was credible enough so I know how to create a plan, I didn't wanna pull the trigger on something that people didn't think was actually helpful considering the fact that most people now a days that offer advice aren't offering helpful advice at all rather something that will market themselves as people who know a lot so people will buy their products. Thanks for this post also of avoiding stuff that will instill fear into you and to avoid over thinking.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
I just don't understand it! Everytime I visit some forum, read some motivation, or what not, its always about success. How setting a 10x goal is the key. How having a great vision matters!

For F*cks sake... I don't give a shit about setting BIG goals or 10X my GOALS.
I don't F*cking give a shit about goals. I just outright hate it at this point my life. All of this feel good bullshit. It pisses me off how it's always think bigger, think of goals, think as it happened, all of the F*cking blogs and gurus go on about thinking thinking thinkg. Who the F*ck gives a shit about it? I don't. I certainly believe that sitting and F*cking 10X my goals won't bring closer to me any more of my shit as long as I'm sitting here and drooling with a F*cking bag of tears imagining my dreams come true.

Non of this bullshit is getting me closer to my goals. It's plain old action. Forgetting whatever the F*ck you want and diving into doing shit. Shit that's not being distracted my day dreams of what I want.

So pissed off.... jesus.

I'm done with these forums and blogs, I felt like visiting once a day for a week was enough, I now believe that not visiting at all is the right thing to do.

:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just don't understand it! Everytime I visit some forum, read some motivation, or what not, its always about success. How setting a 10x goal is the key. How having a great vision matters!

I don't F*cking give a shit about goals. I just outright hate it at this point my life. All of this feel good bullshit. It pisses me off how it's always think bigger, think of goals, think as it happened, all of the F*cking blogs and gurus go on about thinking thinking thinkg. Who the F*ck gives a shit about it? I don't. I certainly believe that sitting and F*cking 10X my goals won't bring closer to me any more of my shit as long as I'm sitting here and drooling with a F*cking bag of tears imagining my dreams come true.

Non of this bullshit is getting me closer to my goals. It's plain old action. Forgetting whatever the F*ck you want and diving into doing shit. Shit that's not being distracted my day dreams of what I want.

So pissed off.... jesus.

I'm done with these forums and blogs, I felt like visiting once a day for a week was enough, I now believe that not visiting at all is the right thing to do.

You're right. Read less, do more.

If you're going to 10x anything, then 10x your actions, not your "goals".

I'm a fan of "chipping away" personally.

Save the rants. Take a deep breathe. Keep going.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
What happened suddenly to cause that post?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Remember when you wrote this?

One step at a time, dont rush it. Better to get little bit done, than be overwhelmed and not do anything.

Mattyg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
May 13, 2016

So pissed off.... jesus.

I know exactly how you feel..I was raging a few hours ago myself and i have found lately that reading the forums and listening to gurus is setting me further back because like Andy Black just said in a post you already know enough! Its time to fail!

I am about to launch my business and I am feeling more resistance now then ever and it has held me back! I am literally 4 hrs of work from starting my biz and I keep letting resistance win. Your right forget about setting goals and just get to work! I started timing myself for deep work daily and its shocking how much time i waste.

Rocky said it best " It ain't about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward, It's how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." So like you I spazzed out today am still trying to get rid of my grumpy face ha! Just know you ain't alone brother! ...not sure where i seen this might have even been on here.

Loser mentality - Emotion, Action, Decision
Winner mentality - Decision, Action, Emotion

Let's toughen up and make this happen one day at a time through ACTION.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Why would people buy an advertised product through Facebook on your website, if they become interested in it, they might as well go to Amazon instead and find the exact same product there and get it in 2 days and pay even less.

I mean, when you don't have a brand and just starting out. Who cares, right? Not everyone will buy. Hey, that's why the conversion rate is something like 1-5%. Some would just be sold and order from you. Maybe you have a better product description copy, maybe your images are a little better. Maybe your brand seems trustworthy. Who knows?

Why is dropshipping even working then?

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Finally,

The end of one story and the beginning of a new one. I am no longer rewriting articles. I have earned a decent budget (CAD 350) to test on this new venture that I have crystalized on paper.

:hurray:

So, to get this started, I found a mentor (didn't have to look far) to help me pull this through and get results (my gf...love her very much). I am hoping to see results already in few weeks doesn't matter if I win or fail, it's going to be a really awesome learning experience.

Let's get this started! I will post back when I get results!

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
So I drove 100 clicks to my website and got 0 sales. I think I need a special badge for being an epic loser :bored:

The upside is I managed to get less than 20 cents per click. The downside: none of them converted. I believe I was doing something completely wrong.

The field perhaps is far too competitive and I just don't know how to structure my website. I was trying to dropship backpacks from Aliexpress and market on Facebook. I targeted 18-24 males who like Jansport and Laptops as the laptop seemed sick to me. Thats the link to it:

<LINK TO WEBSITE WAS HERE BEFORE>

Probably the copy is shit as well. So many things are wrong.

Plus, feeling a little overwhelemed, but motivated. Not by the motivation mental masturbation crap, but because I have less than 3 weeks until I dry out on my saving and then I don't fucing know what I am going to do next, so better get something done now.

If anyone has any suggestions, I don't know, post them here. Thank you

o_O

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
Personally I like the design of the laptop bag and the website. Copy could be improved a bit but isn't bad at all. My assumption: Either people don't like the product or your targeting is isn't right. I would continue testing with the targeting. Maybe aim more for business (office) people? Aged 25 - 45?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Personally I like the design of the laptop bag and the website. Copy could be improved a bit but isn't bad at all. My assumption: Either people don't like the product or your targeting is isn't right. I would continue testing with the targeting. Maybe aim more for business (office) people? Aged 25 - 45?

Hey, thank you for the suggestion, I was previously thinking about it and thought it wouldn't work for some reason, now I am thinking, and perhaps it might. Because those are the people that 1) have the money 2) go to work with a laptop and few things on daily basis.

I will test this out.

PS:

If anybody has any tips on improving the credibility of the website (if you see it as an issue at all) I would be glad to hear some feedback! :hurray:

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
Yes exactly, I'm one of those persons.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
I targeted 18-24 males who like Jansport and Laptops as the laptop seemed sick to me.

o_O

If someone likes Jansport enough to follow them on Facebook then you're probably going to have a hard time getting them to buy some no-name bag.

I personally would find it really hard to sell something so generic. It's a bag. It has exactly the same features as every other 'low cost' bag so it comes down to to someone seeing it that:

1 - Needs a bag
2 - Likes the design
3 - Likes the price

It doesn't fill a need (people do need bags, but they can probably pick something up very similar from a number or local stores) or apply to a specific demographic so it's really hard to promote.

Alternatively, you sell something specific, like a cat litter tray with high sides that stops the litter being kicked out all over the floor. (I recently bought one of these)

It serves a need.
They don't just sell them in the supermarket/pet store.
It is more likely to be bought to replace an existing product in use as it solves a problem for the purchaser.
There is an identifiable target market
There are groups, forums, hashtags and a whole other number of ways to identify potential purchasers.

Your 'pitch' suddenly goes from something unremarkable like 'do you like this bag?' to 'are you sick of clearing up after your cat?'.

I don't think your campaign is failing because it's too competitive, just that your bag doesn't fill a need and without filling a need, it's very hard to promote.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
If someone likes Jansport enough to follow them on Facebook then you're probably going to have a hard time getting them to buy some no-name bag.

I personally would find it really hard to sell something so generic. It's a bag. It has exactly the same features as every other 'low cost' bag so it comes down to to someone seeing it that:

1 - Needs a bag
2 - Likes the design
3 - Likes the price

It doesn't fill a need (people do need bags, but they can probably pick something up very similar from a number or local stores) or apply to a specific demographic so it's really hard to promote.

Alternatively, you sell something specific, like a cat litter tray with high sides that stops the litter being kicked out all over the floor. (I recently bought one of these)

It serves a need.
They don't just sell them in the supermarket/pet store.
It is more likely to be bought to replace an existing product in use as it solves a problem for the purchaser.
There is an identifiable target market
There are groups, forums, hashtags and a whole other number of ways to identify potential purchasers.

Your 'pitch' suddenly goes from something unremarkable like 'do you like this bag?' to 'are you sick of clearing up after your cat?'.

I don't think your campaign is failing because it's too competitive, just that your bag doesn't fill a need and without filling a need, it's very hard to promote.

Thank you for opening my eyes. Perhaps you absolutely nailed the underlying problem: I don't understand what a need really is and how to identify one.

If someone would help me learn this, I would be really grateful. So a need is when there is a problem that has to be solved, right? If I am looking at a backpack, I don't really care much about it, as long as I like the design of the bag, and the price for it is reasonable. On the other hand, if I have a Macbook Pro or Air 13" and I carry only few papers along with it on daily basis, I would like a slim backpack, that is designed specifically to fit that type of laptop, and has special slots for papers, and enough room for a binder, or some other documents, still does not solve a need, because there is no underlying problem that is being solved. Inconvenience? Not great enough to be bothered with.

A need is fulfilled when a problem being solved is substantial enough that it can not be ignored. Like picking up the cat litter because it's thrown on the floor.

So, perhaps if I have a specific audience in mind, then I would analyze their day to day activities, think about their problems closely, and once I identify a problem that's heavy enough, I could offer them a solution that's worth paying money for.

This shit is hard, because it makes me think. Thinking is what I like the least, but what get's me the most.

Last edited:

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
What does the facebook ad copy/image look like that drives to that website that is not helping conversions? Just curious as to how your promoting and what's not working so maybe we can help.

That being said, you have to get in the mind of the buyer on this one. You click to a no-name "slim laptop bag" selling for close to the same price as name brands that are well advertised in the market, why would you buy this? It looks like a sleek, cool, bag, but the offer needs to be sweeter in order to compel people to BUY NOW when they get to your site.

Last edited:

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
I don't understand what a need really is and how to identify one.

There was a thread/post recently about this saying it was the hardest of the points from CENTS to cover/understand as people would be like "I'm going to make shoes, everyone NEEDS shoes".

Yes, everyone needs shoes, but you're not solving a NEED.

I just did a search but couldn't find it. if anyone else saw it maybe they could pop up a link.

Last edited by a moderator:

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
What does the facebook ad copy/image look like that drives to that website that is not helping conversions? Just curious as to how your promoting and what's not working so maybe we can help.

That being said, you have to get in the mind of the buyer on this one. You click to a no-name "slim laptop bag" selling for close to the same price as name brands that are well advertised in the market, why would you buy this? It looks like a sleek, cool, bag, but the offer needs to be sweeter in order to compel people to BUY NOW when they get to your site.

It's four different images of the same backpack with the same copy, here is the screenshot with the images

Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 4.02.59 PM.png
slim-backpack-ad-3.jpg
slim-backpack-ad-4.jpg
slim-backpack-ad-5.jpg

I've also noticed that most came from mobile traffic and from affiliates, rather than desktop:

Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 4.07.09 PM.png

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
It's four different images of the same backpack with the same copy, here is the screenshot with the images

I've also noticed that most came from mobile traffic and from affiliates, rather than desktop:

I'm not a copy/facebook ads master, but i have some thoughts, and this also helps me reeducate myself on what works and what doesn't :)

1. Get rid of the weird background images and have people focus on the bag alone in high resolution and/or an in use photo. Personally, the background images seem distracting and irrelevant. White space is good sometimes.
2. There are millions of waterproof, professional, comfortable bags on the market, why is someone going to click through that ad with a newfound interest in your bag? I'd think about creating a more compelling headline targeted at what people want. Do people want just a simple bag that gets them from point A to B? Create copy for that. Are people mainly focused on a waterproof bag? Create copy for that. Do they just want a really sleek bag? Create cool copy for that.
3. There is no offer/scarcity created here. Ie. "Act now and save $20 while supplies last" or "15% off for this weekend only!"

Here's a cool example I saw on Facebook recently - the image itself is the interest with the "MicroModal" fabric comment, it creates potential desire, IF the price is right. They create an offer on the ad that's simple with a guarantee:

MeUndies.png

Again, I'm not an expert by ANY means, but just some thoughts here.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
I'm not a copy/facebook ads master, but i have some thoughts, and this also helps me reeducate myself on what works and what doesn't :)

1. Get rid of the weird background images and have people focus on the bag alone in high resolution and/or an in use photo. Personally, the background images seem distracting and irrelevant. White space is good sometimes.
2. There are millions of waterproof, professional, comfortable bags on the market, why is someone going to click through that ad with a newfound interest in your bag? I'd think about creating a more compelling headline targeted at what people want. Do people want just a simple bag that gets them from point A to B? Create copy for that. Are people mainly focused on a waterproof bag? Create copy for that. Do they just want a really sleek bag? Create cool copy for that.
3. There is no offer/scarcity created here. Ie. "Act now and save $20 while supplies last" or "15% off for this weekend only!"

Here's a cool example I saw on Facebook recently - the image itself is the interest with the "MicroModal" fabric comment, it creates potential desire, IF the price is right. They create an offer on the ad that's simple with a guarantee:

Again, I'm not an expert by ANY means, but just some thoughts here.

Perhaps you are right. I will try different targeting and different variations of the ad copy and the images with just the product in focus. I will use a promo code for the first purchase discount and have some scarcity build in. Lastly, I am rethinking my targeting and finding audience based on your suggestions.

Thank you :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for opening my eyes. Perhaps you absolutely nailed the underlying problem: I don't understand what a need really is and how to identify one.

If someone would help me learn this, I would be really grateful. So a need is when there is a problem that has to be solved, right? If I am looking at a backpack, I don't really care much about it, as long as I like the design of the bag, and the price for it is reasonable. On the other hand, if I have a Macbook Pro or Air 13" and I carry only few papers along with it on daily basis, I would like a slim backpack, that is designed specifically to fit that type of laptop, and has special slots for papers, and enough room for a binder, or some other documents, still does not solve a need, because there is no underlying problem that is being solved. Inconvenience? Not great enough to be bothered with.

A need is fulfilled when a problem being solved is substantial enough that it can not be ignored. Like picking up the cat litter because it's thrown on the floor.

So, perhaps if I have a specific audience in mind, then I would analyze their day to day activities, think about their problems closely, and once I identify a problem that's heavy enough, I could offer them a solution that's worth paying money for.

This shit is hard, because it makes me thing. Thinking is what I like the least, but what get's me the most.
"Thinking is hard. That's why so few do it." (Henry Ford)

I did a thread you might find interesting/useful:

Last edited by a moderator:

11elf

just do it.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 24, 2015
Germany
I personally like the design and if I had a laptop I might need one of these.

However, as @JoeB said what is the benefit compared to other low costs bags?
I only saw that its water-resistant. If I had a laptop, I would prefer a bag with more protection e.g. inner hardcase, storage for cables..

Concerning your website, I think you could do some improvements.
1.) I would like to see the bag on a real person.
2.) On some pictures of the bags are watermarks (HOSJ buying). You should remove them.
3.) The header pictures do not really correspond to the product and the target market.
4.) Overall lacking of trust: short about us page, 1 facebook like, no testimonials. If i would end up on this site, I would probably just go to amazon and search there.

Just some thoughts ;-)

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Holly F*cking shit guys!!! Thank you for your feedback! I have got a sale today!!! Shit I am so happy!!!

Someone purchased a backpack!!! Shit I am so happy!

at 1/5 clicks @ $1.25/click I got a CPA of $6.25 on this ad set for one customer and my profit is around $6 so I broke even, but who the F*ck cares!!! I made a F*ckings sale!!!!

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

:hurray:

Thank you all!!!!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats on the first, of hopefully many, sale.

Backing up to your Upwork ventures, I started out there myself. That platform is now dead to me. The time for money tradeoff is bad enough, and even worse when a middleman takes 20% of the cut.

You're located in a major city, so get out and meet real people and help solve their problems. You can use meetup.com or see if there is a Tornoto specific networking site (here in phoenix we have networkingphoenix.com). Get on Upwork and learn a couple new skills well enough to sell them to people. Yes, this is actually enough knowledge to generate revenue.

I say go local because it's much easier to close a sale face to face, when people can see that you're likable and trustworthy, than over a computer screen in a venue where your service is commoditized. You also get to keep 100% of the revenue.

Then, continue plowing that money into your online ventures. You're already making progress, so it's just a matter of accelerating the process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.