The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone here successfully sell a digital product (specifically video-based)?

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Looking at selling a digital product (as a compliment to my main business/service). It is basically an advanced-level training that will be provided in the form of videos + accompanying PDFs.

I have a pretty solid following from my existing business/service, and a strategy in place for marketing the digital product to them. What I am more interested in learning is the actual deliver of the videos+PDFs. My question is...

What's the most effective platform to deliver a video-based product to customers?

Rather than just ZIP all the videos and have customers download it after purchase... have any of you used a some sort of portal where customers have a unique login and can select/ watch videos from their dashboard? I feel like there has to be some sort of SaaS company out there that provides something like this to people selling video-based products. My concern is not just impeding piracy but, also to make sure the customer has a user-friendly experience while using my digital product.

Any advice or input will help, thanks in advance guys!

Myron

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
Looking at selling a digital product (as a compliment to my main business/service). It is basically an advanced-level training that will be provided in the form of videos + accompanying PDFs.

I have a pretty solid following from my existing business/service, and a strategy in place for marketing the digital product to them. What I am more interested in learning is the actual deliver of the videos+PDFs. My question is...

What's the most effective platform to deliver a video-based product to customers?

Rather than just ZIP all the videos and have customers download it after purchase... have any of you used a some sort of portal where customers have a unique login and can select/ watch videos from their dashboard? I feel like there has to be some sort of SaaS company out there that provides something like this to people selling video-based products. My concern is not just impeding piracy but, also to make sure the customer has a user-friendly experience while using my digital product.

Any advice or input will help, thanks in advance guys!

Myron
Yes, we have a couple of successful video programs. I agree there's probably (or should be) some SaaS solution out there. I'm definitely curious to see if someone here has one they recommend. So good thread!

Ultimately, we didn't find a good unified cloud-based option. We instead went with what you see below.

For awareness, one product using this solution is $997. Another is $397.

Architecture
  • Wordpress
  • Woocommerce
  • Subscriptions (allows for recurring payments)
  • Memberships (allows you to provide access to pages to customers based on purchases and drip pages to them as well)
  • Stripe (for credit card)
  • Videos are hosted on Youtube, but shown on the member pages
It's probably not the most elegant way, but it definitely works.

Pros
  • Customers don't seem to have any problems with it. We get very few support inquiries.
  • Everything is customer administered. They can update their credit card, cancel, reset passwords, etc... all on their own.
  • It is super flexible. We can add in contact forms, surveys, PDFs, quizzes, whatever.
  • We can set up multiple pages for a nice progression for customers.
Cons
  • I am not aware of a way to create something like a "progress indicator" or overall scoring system.
  • As people complete videos or advance from one page to the next, it would be nice to send them emails. Not sure exactly how to do this either.
  • Would prefer something a little more purpose built.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

JP Godfrey

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 23, 2016
I have seen several people use Kajabi. It's an all-in-one solution.
There is also Vimeo that hosts video that with the premium subscription you can lock-down videos to just people who have purchased your product. Drop-box could also work.

Last edited:

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Yes, we have a couple of successful video programs. I agree there's probably (or should be) some SaaS solution out there. I'm definitely curious to see if someone here has one they recommend. So good thread!

Ultimately, we didn't find a good unified cloud-based option. We instead went with what you see below.

For awareness, one product using this solution is $997. Another is $397.

Architecture
  • Wordpress
  • Woocommerce
  • Subscriptions (allows for recurring payments)
  • Memberships (allows you to provide access to pages to customers based on purchases and drip pages to them as well)
  • Stripe (for credit card)
  • Videos are hosted on Youtube, but shown on the member pages
It's probably not the most elegant way, but it definitely works.

Pros
  • Customers don't seem to have any problems with it. We get very few support inquiries.
  • Everything is customer administered. They can update their credit card, cancel, reset passwords, etc... all on their own.
  • It is super flexible. We can add in contact forms, surveys, PDFs, quizzes, whatever.
  • We can set up multiple pages for a nice progression for customers.
Cons
  • I am not aware of a way to create something like a "progress indicator" or overall scoring system.
  • As people complete videos or advance from one page to the next, it would be nice to send them emails. Not sure exactly how to do this either.
  • Would prefer something a little more purpose built.

Amazing post, thank you SO much for this +reps. 1 quick question if you don't mind...

Is "Memberships" a Wordpress Plugin? If so, do you have a link for this?

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Udemy.com is a pretty popular platform.

Another idea is to build a membership site using Wordpress, charge a monthly access fee.

I considered Udemy, but I do prefer to traffic to stay on my site, if that makes sense. I will look into the membership thing as Justin mentioned

Udemy?

Check out what Jerry Banfield does (www.jerrybanfield.com).

Calling @Aaron W

I will jave to look into Jerry, thanks for that Andy.

I have seen several people use Kajabi. It's an all-in-one solution.
There is also Vimeo that hosts video that with the premium subscription you can lock-down videos to just people who have purchased your product. Drop-box could also work.

I will look into Kajabi, appreciate the advice sir!

I heard of Teachable - might be useful to you.

Will look into Teachable, thank you very much for the tip!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Might not be the most elegant, but Wordpress is going to be your friend here.

I've used a ton of membership/purchase to download type software. You have a range of

Amember
Wishlist Member
Digital Access Pass
Member Mouse
Kajibi
OptimizePress/OptimizeMember
Even a forum ( yes, it can be done with vBulletin )
still tons more....

If you want something to lock non-members out, process payment, allow members to access paid content, watch videos, etc... then Wordpress with a custom theme ( you can buy these ) and a plugin like Wishlist will do the job for you.

For videos, a lot of people throw them on S3 ( Amazon ) or Youtube and then just link into the Wordpress page once the member logs in. You can store the PDF locally on site or also S3.

I'd advise against DropBox though. You are either going to have to add their email each time a user joins, or make it accessible via a link that if it gets known publicly, anyone will be able to download.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Might not be the most elegant, but Wordpress is going to be your friend here.

I've used a ton of membership/purchase to download type software. You have a range of

Amember
Wishlist Member
Digital Access Pass
Member Mouse
Kajibi
OptimizePress/OptimizeMember
Even a forum ( yes, it can be done with vBulletin )
still tons more....

If you want something to lock non-members out, process payment, allow members to access paid content, watch videos, etc... then Wordpress with a custom theme ( you can buy these ) and a plugin like Wishlist will do the job for you.

For videos, a lot of people throw them on S3 ( Amazon ) or Youtube and then just link into the Wordpress page once the member logs in. You can store the PDF locally on site or also S3.

I'd advise against DropBox though. You are either going to have to add their email each time a user joins, or make it accessible via a link that if it gets known publicly, anyone will be able to download.

Amazing, thank you for this post. I am gathering than Wordpress is fine for what I am trying to accomplish, just have to get the right plugin(s). Any recommendations on Wordpress custom themes? Any real benefit of using S3 (Amazon) vs. Youtube? Thanks again!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I use http://www.amember.com/ while hosting my video files securely on Amazon S3. At first, I began integrating it with ultracart as the payment processing software. The design of each page is very manual, so you have flexibility, but it takes some work.

While I currently use amember, I had a trial of https://www.clickfunnels.com/ and will be upgrading to this in the future. I like this because you can do $0 free trials that easily lead into subscription content (if that's what you go for).

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
I use http://www.amember.com/ while hosting my video files securely on Amazon S3. At first, I began integrating it with ultracart as the payment processing software. The design of each page is very manual, so you have flexibility, but it takes some work.

While I currently use amember, I had a trial of https://www.clickfunnels.com/ and will be upgrading to this in the future. I like this because you can do $0 free trials that easily lead into subscription content (if that's what you go for).

I used ClickFunnels for my book launch and was extremely pleased. It is very well designed and they provide a lot of extra instruction and info to help you do well. This is truly an "above and beyond" product. I'm considering migrating off my email platforms and Leadpages to consolidate on Clickfunnels. Good to know subscription content is part of it.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.