The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WTF does Tai Lopez do?

Guru

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
This is true.

But now I have to sit and search and open 10 tabs at a time and grind through 100's of posts to find the 1 major insight that I'm searching for (I've done that before, sometimes there's no substitute)

-- and if I don't find it, now I have to start a thread and wait for replies (ew waiting)

-- and if I start the thread off on the wrong foot, I will be chastized and lambasted by the forum's veterans and other masters in the art of keyboard-fu.. (happens on any forum) Besides, who wants to get beat up in front of an audience?

-- or my thread may not piss anyone off, but it may be unclear -- I wake up after heading to bed after posting the thread (praying to the forum gods that I have 10 replies in the morning) .... instead I get 1 reply asking for CLARIFICATION on what I meant before he can give a proper comment. LOL

or if not that, my post will waste away on page 2 after a week of no activity.

See how much stress lies in that process? How much potential pain?

People want to avoid pain (talkin about normal people ok).

Let's try it another way.

Guy searches for whatever....and he sees a VIDEO *cue angelic music*

He sees what he searched for in the video's title

He looks at the thumbnail and it catches his curiosity

He clicks in, sees the person and 'identifies' with him (either how he looks, sounds, acts, his surroundings, or even more esoterically -- identifies that guy as what he'd LIKE to be) however you slice it, he's hooked.

THEN comes the actual content.

Hopefully you already created a series of 'yes's such that when his eyes glance and sees your offer in the description box or in the actual video -- or annotation...small offer..email in exchange for some cool stuff sent to your email...it's all a blur, but now you're getting emails from this guy.

All of that happens in an instant.

Marketing is a race for eyeballs.

Sometimes all you're selling is personality. (since there's nothing new under the sun) most of the time we're buying the man or woman on the screen, not really the info. (Liking Bias) (This is how mass media has had everyone into a stupor for decades...no matter WHAT channel you watch)
I agree his (or whoever is doing it, a couple pages back someone said he has 50+ people running his operation) marketing is genius. There really isn't any disputing that. I was just speaking to his actual value as a mentor, guru and person, which I think is very low. Half of what he says is the usual guru speak, common sense stuff that is in every business/getrichquick book ever written. The other half is (in my opinion) complete horsecrap that he makes up just so he has something to talk about. The OP was wondering if Tai Lopez is really who he says he is, and if he brings enough value to the table to be worth following. I feel the answer to both questions is a definite no.

although that's just me, and I really cannot stand the guy. he comes across very disingenuous

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
Btw 99% convinced that Tai Lopez is a student of Eben Pagan.

I went through Eben's Get Altitude Podcast and noticed some similarities.

The focus on evolutionary psychology.
The phrase "Knowledge Society"
Asking the listener to do exercises or answer questions.
And the mentioning of Tai Lopez's favorite guy -- Charlie Munger. Eben even mentions the book.

The Get Altitude program / podcast predates Lopez.

This whole concept of "marketer as philosopher" started with Pagan. Interesting.

EDIT

WHOA dude just mentioned "Cognitive Biases"

Yeah it's settled. Tai just borrowed from Pagan, threw in an Lamborghini and targeted young people.

LOL Pagan just quoted Tai's oft quoted line from Charlie Munger.

There is nothing new under the sun guys! It's all the same shit!

Btw, you can't find all the episodes (easily) for the Get Altitude podcast...

Last edited:

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
Old thread but Tai Lopez made money off of fraudulent pathetic attempts at creating dating sites. That is literally all he did before he started all the rental-lambo scamming. He says all the typical guru stuff... so I guess if you don't know that then you might get something out of his channel. But he doesn't say anything you don't get from just reading this forum. He also says alot of ridiculous stuff in a pathetic attempt to sound wise eg trying to absorb the knowledge from books by lightly skimming them/reading the first page of the chapter/just having them near you LOL. I hope I see him irl someday so I can roast him publicly

Hmm...i think you might be right. But, he must have got his money from somewhere. If those sites failed to make him $, where did he get his bank to throw at You Tube Ads, and his staff? That Money must have come from somewhere?

Anywho?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Btw 99% convinced that Tai Lopez is a student of Eben Pagan.

I went through Eben's Get Altitude Podcast and noticed some similarities.

The focus on evolutionary psychology.
The phrase "Knowledge Society"
Asking the listener to do exercises or answer questions.
And the mentioning of Tai Lopez's favorite guy -- Charlie Munger. Eben even mentions the book.

The Get Altitude program / podcast predates Lopez.

This whole concept of "marketer as philosopher" started with Pagan. Interesting.

EDIT

WHOA dude just mentioned "Cognitive Biases"

Yeah it's settled. Tai just borrowed from Pagan, threw in an Lamborghini and targeted young people.

LOL Pagan just quoted Tai's oft quoted line from Charlie Munger.

There is nothing new under the sun guys! It's all the same shit!

Btw, you can't find all the episodes (easily) for the Get Altitude podcast...

And The Success Principles, old book, I forget the author but each chapter is a step and they're basically identical, same order and everything

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
KNAWLEDGE
+ PERCEIVED CONVENIENCE

70171546.jpg

18advd.jpg

70172298.jpg

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
You guys may appreciate this comment

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 5.06.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 5.06.58 AM.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 142

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
I owe a big thanks to Tai.

Like many here, googling him brought me to this forum, and now I've found what seems like a legitimate resource for guidance and motivation. Hats off to him.

From a casual observer's perspective there's a lot of confusion flying around about the guy, and without meaning to sound like a neckbeard, many claiming support for him probably haven't done a lot of research. That or we just have very different standards with regard to talent and success, and I guess that's fair enough.

The reason everyone's searching for him is to validate their suspicions of bullsh*t. Here's a summary to make that process easier:

Tai Lopez did NOT build is wealth honestly.

He's a classic snake oil salesman that has made most of his money through fraudulent dating and life coaching websites. There's already a link to a blog in this thread that shows all of this in detail, but for the sake of anyone in the TL;DR boat, here's a quick look at Tai's online ventures under his business name 'Elite Global Dating, LLC':

meetingmillionaires.com
elitemeeting.com
modelmeet.com
mythailove.com
ifyouresingle.com
eliteglobaldating.com
curvyfitness.com
millionairemagnetsystem.com
millionairelifecoach.com
findadate.com
datetallmen.com
elitemeet.com
justmillionaires.com

Take the meetingmillionaires.com as an example, if you follow the link you'll be taken to a site listing eligible millionaire bachelors (only males) in your geographical vicinity who are apparently as desperate as the target demographic. I happen to live in Melbourne and unfortunately Tai wasn't smart enough to exception his own profile from the sites BS location algorithm:

f2a2edbf-ed14-44e3-bc56-1cf2ad59eff4.png

Aside from the obvious fact there's no such thing as a genuine haven for desperate millionaires looking for online love, the above serves as evidence to the fact none of them are real profiles. Fraud.

Complaints sample from the same blog post:

As with all online scams the number of complaints is only representative of a fraction of the issue. Tai isn't stupid, he knows who his audience is, and he knows how to manipulate them. He's capitalised heavily on the lack of online fraud policing and traps society's most gullible customers in a vortex of deceit and red tape.

So what about his apparent legitimacy these days?

For the sake of his apologists, and full context, let's talk about his strengths for a second:

- He's a smart, confident guy and a good orator, a skill he's developed a lot more since the TEDx talk he constantly refers to.
- He has above average wealth.
- He networks very well.
- He understands his market very well.
- He's extremely determined.
- He's charismatic.
- If you've never come across a motivational speaker before, many of his lessons have at least a few good points to take away.

Why you should be dubious:

- He speaks in broad, borrowed platitudes that add zero to the academia of success. There are much better and more genuine examples available to you.
- His successful image is mostly bluffed to give the impression of credibility, when in reality his apparent wealth was never earned through the lessons he preaches, but through fraud.
- He self-aggrandises significantly more than he shows an interest in making anyone else successful. When choosing your mentors, choose those with the most conviction to help you. Tai Lopez is only concerned with getting you to pay him, and I guarantee you that anyone stupid enough to follow him without question will never find the success they are looking for.
- He's a subclinical or clinical sociopath. That isn't a vacuous statement; it's an assertion based on his behaviour, personality and intentions. He really doesn't give a sh** about anything but boosting his own self image and taking your money.

I remember reading 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' the week after it was featured on Oprah and being so inspired I immediately wrote a real estate investment plan for myself. I was 15 at the time. I've been interested in stories of success and motivational speakers ever since. On the back of seeing this thread I've investigated 'The Millionaire Fastlane ' as much as I can without reading it, as well as reading MJ DeMarco's website bio, and I have this observation to make:

The Millionaire Fastlane is the real deal.

The person behind it is someone who shared the same relationship with success that Chris Gardner had. He saw a better life for himself that he didn't realise was available to him previously. Coincidentally, both were through the experience of meeting a luxury car owner. When choosing mentors and role models I strongly believe your decision can be helped by understanding the conviction of your teacher. Of course any self-helper has to be self-aggrandising and milk things as much as is reasonable, but that needn't mean they don't genuinely want other people to share in their experience. After briefly reading through this site I believe it to be a genuinely helpful resource, run by someone genuinely interested in helping you.

Contrast all of this to Tai Lopez for a second. He's trying to win you over by putting up a front of being well-connected, reading a book a day, living in the hollywood hills, and driving a lamborghini. He has fabricated his own credibility in such a way that he will eventually be in all the rooms he's claiming to be in for real, but that will never change the fact he's a fraud with nothing new to say, who's lessons will never pay for themselves.

Seek a mentor elsewhere, like this place.

Yes..a little late to the topic BUT, never-the-less, a good one to study and learn from.

Excellent analysis. Point being, a "salesman" makes bank AND is what i would call "an off-broadway" actor who makes his living a prop-doll. HE JUST ACTING...and does a good job at it. A Salesman / Promoter from the word "go."

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
I stopped following Tai a few weeks back when he flooded my FB newsfeed with live events from his Beverly Hills mansion.

To be honest, I prefer humble people who are successful. You don't see Michael Jordan showing off his Lambo(s) and he kicks everyone's a$$ in sport and business.

My tip for newbies in this game is to follow the right people and unfollow the rest. I learnt that the hard way over 5 years.

Good advice

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
Agreed.

You're much better off reading the actual books on his list rather than listen to him talk about the books he's read.

This was by far the biggest value Tai Lopez offered to me imo.

I ordered his 67 steps program but actually haven't even watched any of the videos yet. But when you order and login to his site he has a book club section where he recommends a book every 2 weeks. I looked at his previous recommendations and ended up spending several hundred dollars on some very excellent books that he has recommended.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
This was by far the biggest value Tai Lopez offered to me imo.

I ordered his 67 steps program but actually haven't even watched any of the videos yet. But when you order and login to his site he has a book club section where he recommends a book every 2 weeks. I looked at his previous recommendations and ended up spending several hundred dollars on some very excellent books that he has recommended.

Yeah, that's the most value I got out of him. If nothing else, he's a good source of book recommendations. He hasn't recommended one I didn't like yet.

Not sure about his 67 steps or academies, as I've not bought them. My guess is they're not that great.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Not sure if this even deserves my time but unfortunately, I need clarity.

From Tai's website:

"Tai went on to become a Certified Financial Planner and worked in the world of finance before becoming a founder, investor, advisor, or mentor to more than 20 multi-million dollar businesses while settling in the Hollywood Hills."

Can anyone point out where he amassed his wealth from this paragraph? Because I can't.

What was the name of his businesses? As far as I can tell, there is really no substantial evidence that indicates he didn't make his money before he started pushing his content.

Expert content marketer, yes. I will bow to that truth.

But I will conclude that he made his money from regurgitating other people content until someone tells me I'm wrong.

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
"Tai went on to become a Certified Financial Planner and worked in the world of finance before becoming a founder, investor, advisor, or mentor to more than 20 multi-million dollar businesses while settling in the Hollywood Hills."

LOL Yeah. Nothing on angel.co or crunchbase.

BTW: The earliest interview I've seen on the guy. 2012.... http://www.epiclaunch.com/interview-with-tai-lopez-insight-into-the-direction-of-social-media/

He mentions a Brazilian dating site, that no longer works.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

BTW: The earliest interview I've seen on the guy. 2012.... http://www.epiclaunch.com/interview-with-tai-lopez-insight-into-the-direction-of-social-media/

He mentions a Brazilian dating site, that no longer works.

Interesting...

I should go look him up on Reddit. I'm sure whatever dirt there is (if any), they've dug up.

He definitely lives in the Fastlane, but we obviously have our doubts if he used the Fastlane to get there.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Honestly I think Tai is a genius. Not from the info i got from his courses, but from him as a person.

Basically, position self as an authority of books and knowledge (his 'book club' and book shelves, and reading 1 book a day)
-show success via materials
-preach that it's the books and knowledge that creates success every chance you get
-say that you got there by reading a book a day, you have a big book club, you have all these books, etc. people trust your opinion.
-they want to be wealthy too, so they should read books like he says. what books though? of course, check his website for his recommendations, he's read so many after reading a book a day that surely his recommendations are the best. affiliate profit
-say hey, i know everyone doesn't wanna read a book a day, but since im so wealthy and have read so many, i condensed it into 67 steps if you want to skip all of the hard work and reading. just buy the 67 step course as a shortcut. info product profit
-if you want more free content, watch my youtube videos. click bait to get some initial views and an ad, youtube ad money profit.
-look, if you did all that and you're still hungry for more, we have a whole program you can join and learn. recurring info/teaching profit

I think it's really clever.

Not to mention he does SOMETHING with this house to where he's renting out space from it at all times, he always has photo shoots, trainers, coaches, podcasts etc going on at his place and I know he's getting compensated for it. I think he rents out a huge lavish spot and lets it pay for itself through renting out the amenities, like the courtyard, basketball court, tennis court, gym, pool, etc.

Don't forget, he makes the audience feel not guilty about wanting to be rich. Money is just 'fuel units.' The lambo is just a 'reminder.' And he was broke too, use to sleep on a couch just like you and me. He can live without material possessions too, he just likes to enjoy them. I mean, duh, he lived with the amish for so many years. And he remains calm and emotionless at all times to make it a serious, non emotional, get richy bs thing. He makes it nonchalant and makes you feel not guilty.

There's no stone left unturned. This is how I see it.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

Both of those sites are shit.

While I agree the odds are in the favor that he should/would show up for something ( if he was involved in 20+ ), I have been a core part of several companies that did millions and I am only listed for one of those companies, on only one of the above mentioned sites.

He could have slipped through the cracks as I did, or removed himself from them ( you can from Angel ).

I also find that new-ish companies are the only ones that get the full breakdown of all core members on these sites, not companies that are older ( like the ones I worked for in the 90's and early 2000's ) or companies that are not listed anywhere else or talked about ( like my single member LLCs ) even if they do millions.

Last edited:

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
Honestly I think Tai is a genius. Not from the info i got from his courses, but from him as a person.

Basically, position self as an authority of books and knowledge (his 'book club' and book shelves, and reading 1 book a day)
-show success via materials
-preach that it's the books and knowledge that creates success every chance you get
-say that you got there by reading a book a day, you have a big book club, you have all these books, etc. people trust your opinion.
-they want to be wealthy too, so they should read books like he says. what books though? of course, check his website for his recommendations, he's read so many after reading a book a day that surely his recommendations are the best. affiliate profit
-say hey, i know everyone doesn't wanna read a book a day, but since im so wealthy and have read so many, i condensed it into 67 steps if you want to skip all of the hard work and reading. just buy the 67 step course as a shortcut. info product profit
-if you want more free content, watch my youtube videos. click bait to get some initial views and an ad, youtube ad money profit.
-look, if you did all that and you're still hungry for more, we have a whole program you can join and learn. recurring info/teaching profit

I think it's really clever.

Not to mention he does SOMETHING with this house to where he's renting out space from it at all times, he always has photo shoots, trainers, coaches, podcasts etc going on at his place and I know he's getting compensated for it. I think he rents out a huge lavish spot and lets it pay for itself through renting out the amenities, like the courtyard, basketball court, tennis court, gym, pool, etc.

Don't forget, he makes the audience feel not guilty about wanting to be rich. Money is just 'fuel units.' The lambo is just a 'reminder.' And he was broke too, use to sleep on a couch just like you and me. He can live without material possessions too, he just likes to enjoy them. I mean, duh, he lived with the amish for so many years. And he remains calm and emotionless at all times to make it a serious, non emotional, get richy bs thing. He makes it nonchalant and makes you feel not guilty.

There's no stone left unturned. This is how I see it.

Yeah, there is some hidden upselling though which convinced me to never order any of his other products. When you order his 67 steps program (for what was described as a one time payment of $67) you are automatically signed up to his "INSIDERS book club" which is $67 per month unless you cancel. This annoyed me and definitely convinced me there is some dishonestly in his marketing. Usually with products like this there is at least some fine print that says you are signing up for a subscription, but there was nothing like that with this.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Yeah, there is some hidden upselling though which convinced me to never order any of his other products. When you order his 67 steps program (for what was described as a one time payment of $67) you are automatically signed up to his "INSIDERS book club" which is $67 per month unless you cancel. This annoyed me and definitely convinced me there is some dishonestly in his marketing. Usually with products like this there is at least some fine print that says you are signing up for a subscription, but there was nothing like that with this.
Like I said, I don't care about getting his products. I'm not looking for inspiration from his stuff. I am just looking at him as a person and his business model. Yes it is unfortunate he has an unethical recurring fee, although 99% of these subscriptions do. I'm sure there is fine print somewhere, but if you can't see it, it's unethical. Most places don't even let you cancel without jumping through 50 hoops either, haha. Not sure about Tai, but like i said, I'm looking at the business model. Not the nitty gritty of his products and whether theyre 'worth it' or not or whatever.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Goldman snacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 15, 2016
if you want to find more about how what he does works, there's a great book called the 48 laws of power, scroll straight through to law #27 or just google "law 27 from the 48 laws of power.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Well whatever he's doing, he must be doing it right because he's got you guys up in a tizzy.

Tai Lopez is like frank kern. these guys are geniuses of communication tricks.

nobody really knows what their credentials are

nobody really understands what their business are

people just know that these guys are milionaires and shoot videos to show their house and milions

these guys are kings of talking to say nothing and making milions along the trip

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
if you want to find more about how what he does works, there's a great book called the 48 laws of power, scroll straight through to law #27 or just google "law 27 from the 48 laws of power.

thank you. this is exactly what gurus like Tai Lopez are doing

Law 27 Play on People’s Need to Believe to Create a Cultlike Following

"People have an overwhelming desire to believe in something. Become the focal point of such desire by offering them a cause, a new faith to follow. Keep your words vague but full of promise; emphasize enthusiasm over rationality and clear thinking. Give your new disciples rituals to perform, ask them to make sacrifices on your behalf. In the absence of organized religion and grand causes, your new belief system will bring you untold power "

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.