The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Journey of the German - Building a web design agency

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
Hey guys and girls,

I am starting this progress thread as some sort of diary for me and for you. Despite having not very much to offer at the beginning of my journey, I hope that I can contribute some value to this forum in the future.

The Past:

I am living in Germany, where I am enrolled in my first year in economics at university. I turned 20 a few days ago, realizing that I haven't "accomplished" a lot in my life until now. I want to change that.

For more background, feel free to read my introduction: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/hallo-from-germany.68387/

Just until a few weeks / months ago I was completely fixed on becoming a professional in finance after graduation. I put a lot of effort into my studies to maintain a perfect GPA so I had a chance to interview at some banks /boutiques for an internship in their M&A - group.
Yesterday I got the call that I was given the chance to do an internship at one of the banks mentioned above.

Well, what can I say ... I declined the offer. At the interview (and probably already some time before), I noticed that it doesn't feel right to get into this business. I hated the thought of sitting in front of a computer the whole summer, formating PowerPoint slides 12 - 14 hours a day, not providing any "real" value.

I wanted to get into it because of all the wrong reasons: the pay, the exit opportunities and the possibility to write some fancy names into my linkedin profile, better known as "prestige".

The Now:

I incorporated a company a few days before turning 20 years old, providing web services like building websites and hosting those websites to local businesses.
Fortunately, a lot of those businesses in cities in the vicinity of my current place of residence are kind of technological "backward", having really outdated websites or no website at all.
A lot of opportunity for me and I already have two potential clients.

The main goals of this company are:
(1) accumulate some capital,
(2) get hands-on experience,
(3) take action.

Besides this business I am constantly trying to improve myself.
At the moment I am reading the book of MJ which delivers great insights.

And, unfortunately, I have to learn for some exams that I have to write next month. Since I don't want to drop out of university, this is some kind of "necessary evil". But I would be lying by saying I don't enjoy studying at all.
To be honest, I like it whenever I understand the subjects I have to learn and I also really like to help others on their way to understand these subjects, too.

The Future:

The next goals I want to accomplish include:

(1) Build the first websites for the clients and acquire new clients
(2) Start the 30 Days Gary Halbert Challenge
(3) Join local toastmasters group
(4) sell my xbox, tv, games

I will also keep working on myself - reading a lot of books and read through all the pieces of gold in this forum. Especially the posts of IceCreamKid help me to improve my personality and the ways I am thinking by A LOT. Thanks for this!

Okay, enough writing - next step needs to be taking action!

Thanks for reading.

Sincere regards,
goodguude

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
Hey!

Long time no see. I want to give a little update. So, what happened since my last post? Tl;dr at the bottom!

At first, I (probably) killed all of my exams. Because of my performance at university I will be a tutor in statistics as of October, earning 400€ per month for not a lot of work.
Additionaly, I maybe will get a scholarship worth 300€ per month.
With 700€ a month you can live relatively good in my city, especially as a student. :D

The next thing: my TV will finally get sold tomorrow. Makes another 220€.
I am still looking for a buyer for the xbox one plus games. Looking forward to get rid of it.

Also, I started kickboxing again. It's really funny and good for my shape. I am doing more sports in general.

The most important thing as of today: I probably made my first sale.
I will create a website for a local restaurant. They also want a logo, which I will outsource and they need some nice photos for their website, for which I will get a little commision since I referred them to a photographer I know.
If everything goes well, I will have my first profit of around 500€.

For the future:

I will have another meeting with another local company. This will probably result in another contract, too.

And I am going to apply for my semester abroad in the USA.
I contemplate with the University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona.
Other possibilities include two universities in Houston, but I really hope to get into University of Arizona.
My university offers just one slot there for 30.000 students. But I am confident that I will be able to get this one slot.

Maybe I will meet some fellow forum members during my semester abroad. ;)

tl;dr:
- killed all exams
- 700€ of additional cash flow as of october
- sold my TV for 220€
- doing more sports (kickboxing)
- probably got first webdesign contract for 500€ profit
- next meeting for another potential webdesign contract in the neXT
- probably in Arizona or Texas for half a year as of October 2017

goodguude

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
Time for a new update.

Well, the deal with the local restaurant seems to be off the table - one day the owner of the restaurant just decided to stop all communications. She isn't answering any calls or messages - without a reason.

But there are (really) good news as well.
I landed another deal for a website, which will go through.
Profit: 400€

And I managed to get a deal that includes multiple websites for a single person.
The volume will be around 2.000€. That's really sweet.

Looking forward to the upcoming weeks!

goodguude

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Fortunately, a lot of those businesses in cities in the vicinity of my current place of residence are kind of technological "backward", having really outdated websites or no website at all.
They're not alone!

The next goals I want to accomplish include:

(1) Build the first websites for the clients and acquire new clients
100%

(2) Start the 30 Days Gary Halbert Challenge
Will this help you acquire new clients?

BTW: "Starting" something should be a goal. ;)

Some great listening for you:

Maybe even this fella:

There's a few threads about building agencies.

Check out @codo3500's AMA on the inside.

@eekern has a progress thread I think.

The most recent pages on my own INSIDERS progress thread are of me building an agency, as well as moving away from that model.

I'm sure there's plenty more if you do a search (I used Google here).

Good luck!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I landed another deal for a website, which will go through.
Profit: 400€

And I managed to get a deal that includes multiple websites for a single person.
The volume will be around 2.000€. That's really sweet.
Woohoo! One in a row!

Well done.

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
Hey Andy, thanks for the reply!

I will look into your mentioned resources in the evening. I've already read through the threads of @codo3500 and @eekern. Great stuff!
Your thread is on my list.

I didn't even start with the Gary Halbert challenge after realizing that I will not really profit from it yet. Instead I worked through another web design course and a web development course on Udemy. The benefit fromt these ones seem to be bigger than the ones of finishing the Gary Halbert challenge.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Well, the deal with the local restaurant seems to be off the table - one day the owner of the restaurant just decided to stop all communications. She isn't answering any calls or messages - without a reason.
If you are local, show up before service. I work in that industry and this is common. They will forget to call wine reps, food distribution etc back as they are used to them coming into the restaurant.

Also, selling anything to restaurant owners (small business owners in general) is a bitch. One good tactic I use is to try and get a customer to use my demo site vs their existing site.

"Make a reservation." If they fumble around on the site to do this simple task, it needs to be updated. If the owner doesn't get it after that. Walk away.

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
If you are local, show up before service. I work in that industry and this is common. They will forget to call wine reps, food distribution etc back as they are used to them coming into the restaurant.

Also, selling anything to restaurant owners (small business owners in general) is a bitch. One good tactic I use is to try and get a customer to use my demo site vs their existing site.

"Make a reservation." If they fumble around on the site to do this simple task, it needs to be updated. If the owner doesn't get it after that. Walk away.

Hey DaRK9!

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding this industry.

Yeah, it seems like this sector isn't the holy grail at all. But before I can take on bigger projects, I need to get a bit more experienced and I need to build a portfolio. With every completed website I get better and better - and whenever I get better I am able to provide more value to potential clients and therefore charge a higher price.
@Fox and @codo3500 are like idols for me - providing massive value to their clients and working on 5 - digit - deals.

I will try your mentioned tactic. It seems like a lot of small business owners just don't really care if they have a useful website or not.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Hey DaRK9!

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding this industry.

Yeah, it seems like this sector isn't the holy grail at all. But before I can take on bigger projects, I need to get a bit more experienced and I need to build a portfolio. With every completed website I get better and better - and whenever I get better I am able to provide more value to potential clients and therefore charge a higher price.
@Fox and @codo3500 are like idols for me - providing massive value to their clients and working on 5 - digit - deals.

I will try your mentioned tactic. It seems like a lot of small business owners just don't really care if they have a useful website or not.
Most don't immediately see how it will end up with more sales. For the most part this is true. Which is why that is the only thing I outline when presenting a demo site.

For restaurants you need to focus on reservations. If they don't use OpenTable or any online reservation system, you are most likely talking to the wrong people already.

FREE is a word they don't hear very often. Restaurants are flooded with catches for everything. Buy 2 of this get this. Sign a deal for X months, then we will give you this allocated wine. Get our platinum marketing package and get a billboard for 3 months. Blah blah.

They almost never hear "No charge. No obligation. Let me do this for you."

F all the "if you are good at something never do it for free BS." Say the word free to a restaurant owner and see what happens.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Most don't immediately see how it will end up with more sales. For the most part this is true. Which is why that is the only thing I outline when presenting a demo site.

For restaurants you need to focus on reservations. If they don't use OpenTable or any online reservation system, you are most likely talking to the wrong people already.

FREE is a word they don't hear very often. Restaurants are flooded with catches for everything. Buy 2 of this get this. Sign a deal for X months, then we will give you this allocated wine. Get our platinum marketing package and get a billboard for 3 months. Blah blah.

They almost never hear "No charge. No obligation. Let me do this for you."

F all the "if you are good at something never do it for free BS." Say the word free to a restaurant owner and see what happens.
I agree. Amazing things have happened since I did even more for free.

Also, where are you on this sliding scale of percieved value?

1) I'll show you how to do it.

Buy my eBook and learn how to build a great website for your pizza restaurant that will have hordes of hungry students beat a path to you - before your competitors do!

2) I'll help you do it.

Hire me to coach you in the fine and lost art of building a website for your pizza restaurant.

3) I'll do it for you.

Hire me to build a website for your pizza restaurant.

4) I've already done it.

I've built a fully functional website for your pizza restaurant. Do you want it?

5) F*ck websites. You want sales don't you?

I've an order for twenty 12" pizzas for the local Dell factory. Can you deliver for 9pm?

(Out of interest, which do you think needs to be "sold" the hardest?)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014

2) I'll help you do it.

3) I'll do it for you.

4) I've already done it.

4. Always. I've never walked into an appointment without a demo site made.

If they approach me first, then its 3. Then I lock them in on agreeing to a demo.

Another real life "lead magnet" is to setup and optimize their Google Business page. Use https://moz.com/local/search and manually fix the main errors, add images and correct hours categories.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
4. Always. I've never walked into an appointment without a demo site made.

If they approach me first, then its 3. Then I lock them in on agreeing to a demo.

Another real life "lead magnet" is to setup and optimize their Google Business page. Use https://moz.com/local/search and manually fix the main errors, add images and correct hours categories.
Haha. You replied before I fleshed it out with level 5!

(We're on the same wavelength. :))

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway

I've an order for twenty 12" pizzas for the local Dell factory. Can you deliver for 9pm?

HAHHhahah, yes. For me website is just a gift I use to start a relationship, as Andy pointed out, if their impression of a website is "I have manage to live without a website for 10 years, and you need to convince him to invest in one, F*ck it - focus on what he really wants... customers."

Big agencies are good at linking web design, SEO, to customers, but PPC and direct mail is your real upsell that will get him results.

Use the website as a relationship builder, not only will the project be super easy aka. "WordPress theme", but he won't ruin your month with "small changes" since he got it for free.. now you can talk real business. And when you produce tangible result for him, you can charge 10x more than what you could for a website.

But all tips aside, you are young and I think you should get the projects for reference, experience and some pocket change, good luck developing your skills !

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany

Buy my eBook and learn how to build a great website for your pizza restaurant that will have hordes of hungry students beat a path to you - before your competitors do!

2) I'll help you do it.

Hire me to coach you in the fine and lost art of building a website for your pizza restaurant.

3) I'll do it for you.

Hire me to build a website for your pizza restaurant.

4) I've already done it.

I've built a fully functional website for your pizza restaurant. Do you want it?

Probably 3) and 4) for me.

HAHHhahah, yes. For me website is just a gift I use to start a relationship, as Andy pointed out, if their impression of a website is "I have manage to live without a website for 10 years, and you need to convince him to invest in one, F*ck it - focus on what he really wants... customers."

Big agencies are good at linking web design, SEO, to customers, but PPC and direct mail is your real upsell that will get him results.

Use the website as a relationship builder, not only will the project be super easy aka. "WordPress theme", but he won't ruin your month with "small changes" since he got it for free.. now you can talk real business. And when you produce tangible result for him, you can charge 10x more than what you could for a website.

But all tips aside, you are young and I think you should get the projects for reference, experience and some pocket change, good luck developing your skills !

Hello eekern! Thanks for participating in my thread and sharing your knowledge.

Unfortunately, I have no clue about PPC and direct mail at the momemt. Nevertheless I already thought about getting into this, because I think within there lies the real value one can provide to business - acquiring customers, making real money for your clients.
How useful is a beautiful website, if it doesn't help to "convert" the users visiting it? Or worse: if nobody even visits it?

Can you recommend some resources for this?
@Andy Black posts are probably really good for it. :D

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
@Andy Black has a lot of great tips for google adwords yes, as far as resources.

But in this example I could recommend facebook/Instagram ads because of the visual aspect of a restaurant. Meeeelted cheeeeeeese...

I get a lot of inspiration and tips from podcasts as well here are some:

- Agency Advantage
- Business unleashed
- The Smart Agency Masterclass
- Opposed Media Podcast

But to conclude, there is no better way to learn than trying and failing.

If you want to help a restaurant owner I would suggest to him that you run some ads for him for free, he only pay for adspend.

That way you become warm with facebook/adwords (both?) with no money down. When you get result you can start charging residual.

As @DaRK9 mentioned, selling to restaurant owners can be a bitch, and if he only give you 50$ adspend, you know you need to find a retainer client another place...

BUT NO NEED TO JUMP SHIP, I just wanted you to be aware of it - it is a reason why all people who start in web design end up in customer acquisition ;)

Agencies start with website since they have a system in place (a own team that upsell adwords, SEO, print etc etc.. ) But in your situation as a small consultant without a team behind your back, it is better to sell a service and become an expert in that niche instead of focusing on websites first. Because then you will always be the. website. guy.

Last edited:

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
But to conclude, there is no better way to learn than trying and failing.

If you want to help a restaurant owner I would suggest to him that you run some ads for him for free, he only pay for adspend.

That way you become warm with facebook/adwords (both?) with no money down. When you get result you can start charging residual.

I already have someone in mind with whom I can try this.
He owns a local driving school and definitely wants some more customers (who not? haha). That would be a great experience, but I have to do some homework before approaching him.

Thank you for the rep!
If I think about where I would be now if I started learning about business or coding or whatever instead of wasting my time playing Call of Duty and FIFA while age 14 - 18 ... wow :D

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
If I had to start again, with a web agency, I'd try this (not saying it'll work, but I did something kinda similar):
- Go to an event like the ones by ClickFunnels or Digital Marketer (i.e. Traffic & Conversions Summit)
- Meet heaps of 'consultants', they love going to this stuff.
- None of these guys have decent web developers, they struggle so hard with it.
- I'd find someone with a 'big fish', a client that is a household name. Offer an insane (but believable) commission to the consultant if they can sell them on a new website. I'm talking 40%. They'll sell it for you. Only caveat is - you get to put your name on the bottom of the site. Odds are this consultant already manages their 'digital strategy', such as Adwords etc.

These types of consultants have been awesome for us. I just had another one drop me a 5 figure deal I can't say no to, despite how busy I am, it's just TOO good haha. This all happened yesterday, he'll sign the documents Monday - he's moving fast, because I'm making his life easy. If you want to know how to sell to these consultants and get them to refer to you, they really only have 3 motivations, and they are:
1. Look good to the client
2. Make extra money
3. Not have their time wasted - they want you to just 'take care of it'

Look at it from this perspective, if they can make some extra bucks from a client they're already spent hundreds of hours grooming to trust them, PLUS they look like they provide a more comprehensive service, then they have a huge win.

A lot of our biggest deals have come from these types when I think about it. It's so much harder to sell a 15k site from a 'cold lead' than to have it sold as part of a bigger strategy by someone they already trust to manage their Adwords/Facebook budget every day.

And also, I'm not talking about 'agencies', I've never gone to PPC agencies. It might work, it might not. I'm talking about one-man-band consultants that typically outsource everything anyway.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions on it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If I had to start again, with a web agency, I'd try this (not saying it'll work, but I did something kinda similar):
- Go to an event like the ones by ClickFunnels or Digital Marketer (i.e. Traffic & Conversions Summit)
- I'd find someone with a 'big fish', a client that is a household name. Offer an insane (but believable) commission to the consultant if they can sell them on a new website. I'm talking 40%. They'll sell it for you. Only caveat is - you get to put your name on the bottom of the site. Odds are this consultant already manages their 'digital strategy', such as Adwords etc.

These types of consultants have been awesome for us. I just had another one drop me a 5 figure deal I can't say no to, despite how busy I am, it's just TOO good haha. This all happened yesterday, he'll sign the documents Monday - he's moving fast, because I'm making his life easy. If you want to know how to sell to these consultants and get them to refer to you, they really only have 3 motivations, and they are:
2. Make extra money

Look at it from this perspective, if they can make some extra bucks from a client they're already spent hundreds of hours grooming to trust them, PLUS they look like they provide a more comprehensive service, then they have a huge win.

A lot of our biggest deals have come from these types when I think about it. It's so much harder to sell a 15k site from a 'cold lead' than to have it sold as part of a bigger strategy by someone they already trust to manage their Adwords/Facebook budget every day.

And also, I'm not talking about 'agencies', I've never gone to PPC agencies. It might work, it might not. I'm talking about one-man-band consultants that typically outsource everything anyway.

Haha. I'm moving that way as a one-man PPC consultant. This would work for plenty of AdWords consultants OP. Their client's websites suck.

EDIT: OP, you couldn't pay me to attend one of those events, so try figure out how to find guys managing big budgets but with low profiles.

I've literally had clients ask me to take over management of their website, SEO, content marketing, etc. To date I've turned them all down, but it shows the power of getting in the door as a specialist and delivering more revenue to a business.

Greg Black

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Aug 24, 2016
Bournemouth, UK.
Hey guys and girls,

I am starting this progress thread as some sort of diary for me and for you. Despite having not very much to offer at the beginning of my journey, I hope that I can contribute some value to this forum in the future.

Having been there, done that and got the T-Shirt, in both my own agency and other people's agencies, I would do the following:

• Don't be a generalist, offering all types of services to any type of local company.
  • Pick a niche market to work with
  • Productise your offering - find things that you can replicate and stamp out
  • Specialise on a platform / service area - could be Wordpress, membership sites, shopify, adwords, seo, direct marketing etc - but pick one.
  • Once cash flow is good, start to look at how you can work within your chosen niche to create long term assets, such as website rental, recurring memberships etc.

I hope this is useful.

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
Having been there, done that and got the T-Shirt, in both my own agency and other people's agencies, I would do the following:

• Don't be a generalist, offering all types of services to any type of local company.
  • Pick a niche market to work with
  • Productise your offering - find things that you can replicate and stamp out
  • Specialise on a platform / service area - could be Wordpress, membership sites, shopify, adwords, seo, direct marketing etc - but pick one.
  • Once cash flow is good, start to look at how you can work within your chosen niche to create long term assets, such as website rental, recurring memberships etc.

I hope this is useful.

2. Make extra money

Haha. I'm moving that way as a one-man PPC consultant. This would work for plenty of AdWords consultants OP. Their client's websites suck.

EDIT: OP, you couldn't pay me to attend one of those events, so try figure out how to find guys managing big budgets but with low profiles.

I've literally had clients ask me to take over management of their website, SEO, content marketing, etc. To date I've turned them all down, but it shows the power of getting in the door as a specialist and delivering more revenue to a business.

Wow guys, there is massive GOLD in your posts here. Thank you so much for this.

I am a bit overwhelmed now and need to process all this input. Then I need to form some kind of strategy out of it.
I need to learn so much haha.

Again: THANK YOU!
Your posts are also gold for all the other members of this forum.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I also tend to trade websites a lot to remove bills. I'll reduce or remove up-front costs for services/items. Just use a pretty informal contract.

Part of my rent is from running my apt complex's adspend. $300/mo
My hair is taken care of. 1 hair cut a month for myself and girlfriend. $120/mo
I have around $400/mo in food from 5 restaurants each month.
Get $80/mo in gas from the construction company near my apt for doing their site. They have their own pumps.

Don't do anything crazy complex or time consuming for trade though just in case it goes sour.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Little thought for today: 60% of running your own web design company is sales. Lock sales down and everything else will fall into place.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Unfortunately, I have no clue about PPC and direct mail at the momemt. Nevertheless I already thought about getting into this, because I think within there lies the real value one can provide to business - acquiring customers, making real money for your clients.

You don't have to.

Become extremely good at providing websites in your niche and then partner with others to do PPC, SEO, SMO, etc.

If you stick with restaurant websites, for example, you'll have an easier time getting the contract over the guy providing every initialism under the sun.

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
I also tend to trade websites a lot to remove bills. I'll reduce or remove up-front costs for services/items. Just use a pretty informal contract.

Part of my rent is from running my apt complex's adspend. $300/mo
My hair is taken care of. 1 hair cut a month for myself and girlfriend. $120/mo
I have around $400/mo in food from 5 restaurants each month.
Get $80/mo in gas from the construction company near my apt for doing their site. They have their own pumps.

Don't do anything crazy complex or time consuming for trade though just in case it goes sour.

That's a cool idea! I think I will have a talk with the owner of my boxing/kickboxing - gym. I build a website for them and therefor I am allowed to train there for free. :D

Little thought for today: 60% of running your own web design company is sales. Lock sales down and everything else will fall into place.

I am starting to realize this. At the moment I am leveraging my whole network to get contracts - with success.
You would be astonished if you would know how many friends have somebody who needs a website haha.

Become extremely good at providing websites in your niche and then partner with others to do PPC, SEO, SMO, etc.

If you stick with restaurant websites, for example, you'll have an easier time getting the contract over the guy providing every initialism under the sun.

That was my plan. I just need to search a good niche where companies are willing to pay more than like 400€ for a website.
@Fox mentioned in one of his posts that he is focusing on clients like doctors, dentists, construction companies instead of restaurants or cafes.
Seems promising!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I am thinking about doing a dedicated thread on my web development journey. Maybe some recorded interviews with other guys on here, cold calls, breakdown my business set up, easy ways to code good sites, pricing etc. While I don't consider myself hugely successful yet there has been a lot of PMs regarding stuff I know I can add a lot of value too. I will try get something up in the next week.

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany
I am thinking about doing a dedicated thread on my web development journey. Maybe some recorded interviews with other guys on here, cold calls, breakdown my business set up, easy ways to code good sites, pricing etc. While I don't consider myself hugely successful yet there has been a lot of PMs regarding stuff I know I can add a lot of value too. I will try get something up in the next week.

That would be awesome. I always wanted to know how you got where you are now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.