The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

T-Shirt Phrases - Trademark or Copyright Issues?

Seeker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Dec 21, 2015
Germany
Like many people here I am not a natural born entrepreneur. I have to build myself up, listen to audiobooks/podcasts, do self development stuff, journaling and so on. I really like the posts of @Andy Black and @AndrewNC btw which also fall into this category for me.
Once in a while I pickup some phrases or even come up with them myself, that I'd like to print on a t-shirt, which I could then wear e.g. during my workouts. That gave me the idea: Hey, if I would buy a shirt that says BE SIGNIFICANT, maybe somebody else would want one as well. I did some quick research and figured I'll start out with a spreadshirt shop. There I could design the shirts, they would do all the fulfillment. I'd only get a small commission, but I thought it would be an easy way to start and try all the Internet Marketing instruments like SEO, affiliate links and so on. I don't expect that to be Fastlane, more like an experiment. If it should take off, I can replace the backbone with something more profitable than spreadshirt commissions.

Anyhow - I was a little worried, I'd might run into Trademark or Copyright Issues with some phrases or statements. It is pretty pretty obvious that you can't use Nike's JUST DO IT. I checked the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) - which btw. looks like many government sites like designed 15-20 years ago - for some phrases, that I planned to use. And guess what - somebody owns a trademark to them. BE SIGNIFICANT trademarked. BE THE BEST VERSION OF YOU trademarked. Turns out 2/3 of the phrases I planned to use are trademarked. Ok, so I could still go with the last 1 / 3, right?

But what if somebody trademarks one of these phrases and then sues the hell out of me? Is that possible or even likely?

Trademarking them myself is not an option, because I don't expect every phrase to be so successful, that it is worth several hundred $ for registering the trademark. With a $2.50 commission you'd have to sell a lot of shirts, before you are out of the red.

So what to do? Do I dump the idea? Or do I fear something that is pretty unlikely to happen?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders