The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So you want to move to Scottsdale?

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
By the way, have you made it to Scottsdale yet? What's it like so far?
Yes. I left exactly five weeks after I posted that earlier post.

I've only been here since Tuesday night, but so far it's awesome! I've been scoping out different areas to determine exactly where I want to live.

The atmosphere is great.

I appreciate the mountain views:

mountainview.jpg

I'm tired of being stuck here in Anchorage
I completely understand the feeling. I spent most of my life in Upstate New York where we typically got 120+ inches of snow fall each year. And, the area is ranked #4 in the US for cloudiness. Moving toward the sun is a great way to go.

I spent the last few years in Florida and enjoyed my time there, but Arizona was calling me so I made the move.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK
"I've only been here since Tuesday night, but so far it's awesome! I've been scoping out different areas to determine exactly where I want to live."

That's awesome! I went to Phoenix for a month in April and had a similar experience. If you get the chance, hike camelback mountain. It's beautiful and you might see some desert critters. The top will reward you with a view of the entire city.

"Arizona was calling me so I made the move."

I'm getting the same thing. I'm so young, so it's hard to tell if it's a 'calling', or an impulse. At this point, moving just feels right, so I'd say it's the latter. Hope everything goes well for you!

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
If you get the chance, hike camelback mountain. It's beautiful and you might see some desert critters. The top will reward you with a view of the entire city.
The top of Camelback Mountain is definitely worth the hike. A bunch of us who attended the Fastlane Summit this past February went up there. We did get too close to a decent sized snake at one point. :eek:

I'm so young, so it's hard to tell if it's a 'calling', or an impulse. At this point, moving just feels right, so I'd say it's the latter. Hope everything goes well for you!
Here's what I can say about the feeling: I've wanted to live in Arizona for as long as I can remember (if you ask any of my family members, they'll tell you that I used to always say I was going to live in Arizona one day). I think I just liked the sound of the name "Arizona" back then...who knows.

The deeper I get into the Fastlane, the easier I'm finding it to shape my life to be exactly how I want it to be. It's probably a mix of years of persistence, maturing, and focusing on improving specific areas of my life every single day. Not entirely sure though, but when I look back over the years I've grown so much.

I'm at the point where I see how I want my life to be and am willing to do whatever it takes to make it a reality. In this case, I'm here in Arizona.

I can definitely say that in the past I've "wanted" many things in my life but consistently didn't take the necessary actions to make them possible. It was a rough road to be on.

Maybe it's a calling for you or maybe it's just an impulse. No one really knows. If you focus on shaping your life to be how you want it to be, then you already know whether or not it fits the picture in your head.

Hope everything goes well for you!
Thanks!

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK
The deeper I get into the Fastlane, the easier I'm finding it to shape my life to be exactly how I want it to be. It's probably a mix of years of persistence, maturing, and focusing on improving specific areas of my life every single day. Not entirely sure though, but when I look back over the years I've grown so much.

I find this interesting because I have a 'reverse' situation. I'm not sure exactly what I want in terms of fastlane, or even life, and wanna kick myself into gear a little bit. This probably doesn't make sense, but I'm going with my gut here.

I can definitely say that in the past I've "wanted" many things in my life but consistently didn't take the necessary actions to make them possible. It was a rough road to be on.

This is what is killing me right now. I'm stuck in a cycle. Same life, same habits, etc. I feel like I need to kick my a$$ a little bit.

Maybe it's a calling for you or maybe it's just an impulse. No one really knows. If you focus on shaping your life to be how you want it to be, then you already know whether or not it fits the picture in your head.
This makes so much sense. Time thinking about what I want in life is time very well spent. The most I have is a general direction involving fitness, people a surround myself with, and financial goals, etc. It's enough for me to know that a positive place like Phoenix can take my life in a different direction.

My main motivation is to kick myself in the a$$ and live on my own for the first time. If I throw myself in the water a bit, I can't be lazy. It's a start at least!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's people like you who give me the information I need to make the actual decision. I plan on making a progress thread in the near future to hold myself accountable because, why not.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Well, looks like I'll be rolling back into town around the 13th of October.

Had originally planned for end of September but I have a family wedding on October 8th and it wouldnt make much sense to come to Scottsdale end of Sept and fly back home a couple weeks later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted5250X

Sent you a pm. Unless you want to move way south, I would recommend the center of the city. But picking the pockets to be in are critical. You should be able to find a decent place for less than your budget.

What are the best pockets? Can you get a decent place with a pool for <$1000?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I'll be in town super early on Oct 4th. Then up to Sedona for a week. If anyone wants to meetup, IM me. I'm already getting with 2 members here which I am stoked about !

And yes, I'll be moving there asap. This trip isn't all vacation.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Damn seems like I'm coming AFTER everyone else rolls into town lmao

NYCGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 14, 2014
New York
A little ways away, but I'll be in Tucson at the end of October in case anyone was living close to there or happen to be in that area around then.

pgtownsyou

Forge Ahead
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Oct 29, 2013
Minnesota
Minnesota boy here...

I randomly applied for a job in Phoenix a couple weeks back, and now they actually seem pretty interested in me. I'm getting cold feet. Would be so difficult leaving all my family and friends. Meeting new people is not my forte

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Minnesota boy here...

I randomly applied for a job in Phoenix a couple weeks back, and now they actually seem pretty interested in me. I'm getting cold feet. Would be so difficult leaving all my family and friends. Meeting new people is not my forte

Maybe just try getting out of your comfort zone.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Sooooo little update, originally had planned to head to Scottsdale 2 weeks from Monday (Oct 10th), BUT last night was involved in a pretty serious car wreck.

I'm ok and so is the other driver but I'm almost positive the insurance company is gonna total my car.

Dammit.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Minnesota boy here...

What do you think is scarier

A.) Trying something new, having a change of scenery with stable income and taking to a few new people

B.) Living the rest of your life wondering "What if", "I wonder what it would have been like", and "if I had the chance again..."

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
Anybody in a situation where they have an empty couch and would want a temp roommate 1-2 weeks? Will pitch for rent & groceries or whatever.

I had a big layover in Phoenix and met some cool ppl and want to explore possibly moving there. I just spent a week in Miami and a couple days in Phoenix and was stoked to be able to run my biz while on the road. I'm 22/m and run a 500k/yr rapidly growing IT service business and want to explore running it completely remotely / possibly opening a location in Phoenix/Scottsdale. Would prefer someone with skin in the game, not sure how much advice I would have for a complete beginner & I would love to trade biz insights with someone. If you're in IT even F*cking better.

G

GuestUser155

I find this interesting because I have a 'reverse' situation. I'm not sure exactly what I want in terms of fastlane, or even life, and wanna kick myself into gear a little bit. This probably doesn't make sense, but I'm going with my gut here.

This is what is killing me right now. I'm stuck in a cycle. Same life, same habits, etc. I feel like I need to kick my a$$ a little bit.

I'm in the same exact position as you.

I don't know what I want, but whatever I'm living right now is not it. Too young to know what it's like to live any other way, but right now it sucks.

I feel you on the cycle. Stuck in the same frame. Same way of doing things. Our environment has shaped us into what we are now, but we have to break out of it to become someone else. Someone better.

I'm going to move to Scottsdale, been weighing some different scenarios but nothing conclusive yet.

Might "move" (no money, no apartment, no car) in January. Or build up a stable time-detached income and move when that's setup.

Have you got a plan?

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Do you guys all want to move to Scottsdale because you actually like the area?

I wouldn't move here just because some of us live here. There are tons of forum members all over the country. Only move here if you actually like the area.

Personally, I moved here for many reasons and wanted to do so before I even knew the Fastlane existed.

G

GuestUser155

I wouldn't move here just because some of us live here. There are tons of forum members all over the country. Only move here if you actually like the area.

Personally, I moved here for many reasons and wanted to do so before I even knew the Fastlane existed.

Been meaning to get down South for almost a decade. Up here it sucks (even the summers).

From what I've heard it's: Small, but roomy. Hot, but dry. Sun's out all the time. Not the typical metropolitan area, i.e, people aren't terrible.

What's not to like?

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK

Good question. Phoenix is definitely not for everybody. I went for a month and personally loved it. Are there better places for me? Probably.

PROS
It's a fairly red state, conceal carry(important to me)
nice weather most of the year
The nice areas of Phoenix are a joy(Scottsdale, Tempe, etc)
I prefer the heat over slipping on the Ice
I subjectively find the state beautiful
Underrated, therefore, less people. Just compare the population of LA to Phoenix.

CONS
There are some sketchy areas. Then again, what city with a decent amount of people doesn't have this?
The heat of course
Probably some crazy people, crime
Huge city, seems divided

Overall, for the right kind of person, Scottsdale is a good place to be. Though anybody thinking of moving here should definitely check it out first if they can.

I'm going to move to Scottsdale, been weighing some different scenarios but nothing conclusive yet.

Might "move" (no money, no apartment, no car) in January. Or build up a stable time-detached income and move when that's setup.
Yup sounds like me, haha. If you live with your parents, the worse that can happen is that you have to go back broke. It's really not that bad. I say do it with a tight time frame, but prepare as much as you can. That's what works for me anyways.

Have you got a plan?
Yes, but it's not super detailed. I rented a room and bought a plane ticket for Nov 14th. I actually made a little progress thread, if you wanna check that out. In general, rent a room cheaply for a few months while I hunt for apartments and save up money freelancing.

Also, I got approved for a credit card. I'm already pulling a location-independent income, so I just have to work harder at that. You should do the same. There are great threads for freelancing on this forum, you can get started from nothing.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

G

GuestUser155

Good question. Phoenix is definitely not for everybody. I went for a month and personally loved it. Are there better places for me? Probably.

PROS
It's a fairly red state, conceal carry(important to me)
nice weather most of the year
The nice areas of Phoenix are a joy(Scottsdale, Tempe, etc)
I prefer the heat over slipping on the Ice
I subjectively find the state beautiful
Underrated, therefore, less people. Just compare the population of LA to Phoenix.

CONS
There are some sketchy areas. Then again, what city with a decent amount of people doesn't have this?
The heat of course
Probably some crazy people, crime
Huge city, seems divided

Overall, for the right kind of person, Scottsdale is a good place to be. Though anybody thinking of moving here should definitely check it out first if they can.

Yup sounds like me, haha. If you live with your parents, the worse that can happen is that you have to go back broke. It's really not that bad. I say do it with a tight time frame, but prepare as much as you can. That's what works for me anyways.

Yes, but it's not super detailed. I rented a room and bought a plane ticket for Nov 14th. I actually made a little progress thread, if you wanna check that out. In general, rent a room cheaply for a few months while I hunt for apartments and save up money freelancing.

Also, I got approved for a credit card. I'm already pulling a location-independent income, so I just have to work harder at that. You should do the same. There are great threads for freelancing on this forum, you can get started from nothing.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Put the thread on watch. It seems like you're a future version of me judging by your writing :D.

I've been meaning to officially get into freelancing to walk down the same path, gonna start right now.

I got some good insights from that thread, I hope you keep it updated. :)

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK
Put the thread on watch. It seems like you're a future version of me judging by your writing :D.

I've been meaning to officially get into freelancing to walk down the same path, gonna start right now.

I got some good insights from that thread, I hope you keep it updated. :)
Glad it helped! For freelancing, have you read
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ith-no-degree-no-feedback-no-portfolio.58837/ ? It should get you started :)

EDIT: Link was broken, should be fixed

doinkdedoink

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 14, 2016
USA
Could use a little help from all the Scottsdale people here, I'm moving to Scottsdale in a week or so and am having trouble finding a decent furnished place. I'm looking for a 2bd/2bath, furnished, preferably under $1500 and preferably near old town. Anyone know of anything? I have looked on craigslist, trulia etc but there really aren't many options it seems for a furnished place?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Could use a little help from all the Scottsdale people here, I'm moving to Scottsdale in a week or so and am having trouble finding a decent furnished place. I'm looking for a 2bd/2bath, furnished, preferably under $1500 and preferably near old town. Anyone know of anything? I have looked on craigslist, trulia etc but there really aren't many options it seems for a furnished place?

You will have a tough time during this time of year because many rentals are rented out to snowbirds who come from the cold and rent furnished places for the winter (Nov-April) and pay 2-3x the going market rate.

You can check out Ciento condos on 68th st and Osborn which rents for about $1000 for a 2br, includes electric, water so all you need to pay extra for is cable and internet. The neighborhood is a little shady feeling but it's a gated condo complex. Take the extra $500 and get some furniture. This is where I lived when I first moved to Scottsdale.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Well I havent posted in a couple months (variety of personal and family issues) but it looks like I'm FINALLY on target to be back in Scottsdale (for good) by the end of January.

Excited as hell

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but why are you looking for a furnished place? Just because you're not bringing furniture with you, or are you looking for a month to month type arrangement?

If you're looking for month to month furnished, @biophase is right, they're either rented out to snowbirds for way too much money or they are weekly places in the ghetto.

If you're looking for a longer term your best bets are to sign a lease for an unfurnished place and either:

1. Rent some furniture from Cort Furniture. They can do just furniture or dishes, linens, etc. Quick, easy, but expensive.

2. Drop some money on craigslist furniture and Ikea household goods. Not as quick and easy, but a lot less money over the long run.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
So what's the "gotta do" list in Scottsdale?

I wanna get ideas when I am there this coming up Feb.

1. Whats the best grub food you just can't miss there? Even if I need to go to Phoenix maybe? The hotel told gave me a list that looks like fancy restaurants. I don't mind fancy and will prob. try them, but I wanna know where the local grub food that I shouldn't miss.

2. What about activities? All I got from the hotel was "hiking the mountain" pretty much. Is there anything I shouldn't miss while in town?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.