The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Rags to Riches - Three Ways My Life Has Changed (Number One Will Surprise You!)

MarcBolan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Sep 23, 2016
Hey y'all :D!

First of all, sorry for the clickbait title, I am currently practicing copy so this was sort of a test to see how well I can attract attention using some methods I've noticed online.

In case you were expecting a billionaire success story, nope, just a poor waiter here, wanting to introduce himself.

My name is Marko-Antonio, I'm a 22 years old Croatian currently living in Stuttgart, Germany. I moved here 5 months ago, after being extremely deppressed for the last couple of years due to being poor, and flunking college, amongst other things. (there was an alcoholic phase, a weed addiction phase and sex addiction phase. Fun times.)

So, I've been poor for a long time, but have always felt that it was my destiny to rise above that and be rich one day. So I nodded sagely, saying "Ah who cares, I'll be rich SOMEDAY." whilst doing ABSOLUTELY F*ckING NOTHING to actually make that sentence a reality. Needless to say, I was F*cking miserable, starving, and depending on the kindness of my friends to literally eat.

I got a few jobs here and there, mostly direct sales, none really worked as I got nervous around peope I didn't know, so I didn't stay long and never really earned much money. Then I started waiting tables, figured out I was good at it and it was pretty decent cash (tourists really do save your a$$ in my country) so I said F*ck it, here's something I can do while I study polytechnics.

I hated my college, it made me F*cking miserable. The way it was structured, and the way the professors treated the knowledge disgusted me, and one night I got a brilliant idea. I was going to go to Germany, where money is plentiful and beer flows through the rivers.

I left my friends, my girlfriend and my parents behind and got ready to take the biggest step in my life! This was going to be F*cking AMAZING!

It sucks.

I'm still waiting tables, only this time earning a bit more money, but expenses are higher so it evens out.
F*ck. Now what? Do this for 5 years, earn enough cash to open my own thing in Croatia? F*ck that, I hate it here, no way am I selling 5 years of my life for a chance to crash and burn...

So there I am, cleaning the goddamn menu's when this brilliant idea for a product hits me. I get excited, holy shit this could make me rich!

As soon as I'm done with work, I head home and write it down, I tell my best friend, ask her opinions. She is also pretty stoked about it.

F*ck yeah! It was/is a great idea, a niche market, a need presented, monetization secured. The thing is, it would be a social platform and I don't know ANYTHING about web design, about programming, about the economy, nothing.

Welp, there goes that.

"Would you like to supersize your order?" is my future apparently.

But something inside me doesn't budge this time. Something in me screams "Enough!" and tears me back into ambition.

I remember reading about this book called 'The Millionaire Fastlane ' by this MJ DeMarco guy on reddit. Ok, yeah, sounds great, get rich quick. Let's check it out.

I was always skeptical when I saw reviews saying stuff like 'This book has changed my life!'. I thought it was giving too much power to someone else.

But ho-lee shit. It opened my eyes, I pivoted my way of thinking towards a new perspective and it really. F*cking. Changed. My. Life.

Now, to be fair, that was like a month ago, so I can't say I'm any closer to my goal than yesterday money-wise. But, here are some of the things I've started since then;

1. A friend started a small start-up in my hometown, I immediately contacted him and asked him if he needed a head of marketing until he has enough money to pay for an actual proffessional.
2. Started a small network of young Croatian entrepreneurs to support and exchange knowledge and ideas with one another
3. Started learning copywriting
4. Started learning Javascript
5. Annoyed the F*ck out of my friends with my newly found passion and optimism.
6. Joined this forum.

Now I have a plan in place, and if asked will share it with you. But this post was just introductions, and has gone on longer than intended because I'm goddamn stoked to be a part of this forum.

So...

Hello World!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Crossroads

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 31, 2016

First of all, sorry for the clickbait title, I am currently practicing copy so this was sort of a test to see how well I can attract attention using some methods I've noticed online.

In case you were expecting a billionaire success story, nope, just a poor waiter here, wanting to introduce himself.

My name is Marko-Antonio, I'm a 22 years old Croatian currently living in Stuttgart, Germany. I moved here 5 months ago, after being extremely deppressed for the last couple of years due to being poor, and flunking college, amongst other things. (there was an alcoholic phase, a weed addiction phase and sex addiction phase. Fun times.)

So, I've been poor for a long time, but have always felt that it was my destiny to rise above that and be rich one day. So I nodded sagely, saying "Ah who cares, I'll be rich SOMEDAY." whilst doing ABSOLUTELY F*ckING NOTHING to actually make that sentence a reality. Needless to say, I was F*cking miserable, starving, and depending on the kindness of my friends to literally eat.

I got a few jobs here and there, mostly direct sales, none really worked as I got nervous around peope I didn't know, so I didn't stay long and never really earned much money. Then I started waiting tables, figured out I was good at it and it was pretty decent cash (tourists really do save your a$$ in my country) so I said F*ck it, here's something I can do while I study polytechnics.

I hated my college, it made me F*cking miserable. The way it was structured, and the way the professors treated the knowledge disgusted me, and one night I got a brilliant idea. I was going to go to Germany, where money is plentiful and beer flows through the rivers.

I left my friends, my girlfriend and my parents behind and got ready to take the biggest step in my life! This was going to be F*cking AMAZING!

It sucks.

I'm still waiting tables, only this time earning a bit more money, but expenses are higher so it evens out.
F*ck. Now what? Do this for 5 years, earn enough cash to open my own thing in Croatia? F*ck that, I hate it here, no way am I selling 5 years of my life for a chance to crash and burn...

So there I am, cleaning the goddamn menu's when this brilliant idea for a product hits me. I get excited, holy shit this could make me rich!

As soon as I'm done with work, I head home and write it down, I tell my best friend, ask her opinions. She is also pretty stoked about it.

F*ck yeah! It was/is a great idea, a niche market, a need presented, monetization secured. The thing is, it would be a social platform and I don't know ANYTHING about web design, about programming, about the economy, nothing.

Welp, there goes that.

But something inside me doesn't budge this time. Something in me screams "Enough!" and tears me back into ambition.

I remember reading about this book called 'The Millionaire Fastlane ' by this MJ DeMarco guy on reddit. Ok, yeah, sounds great, get rich quick. Let's check it out.

I was always skeptical when I saw reviews saying stuff like 'This book has changed my life!'. I thought it was giving too much power to someone else.

But ho-lee shit. It opened my eyes, I pivoted my way of thinking towards a new perspective and it really. F*cking. Changed. My. Life.

Now, to be fair, that was like a month ago, so I can't say I'm any closer to my goal than yesterday money-wise. But, here are some of the things I've started since then;

1. A friend started a small start-up in my hometown, I immediately contacted him and asked him if he needed a head of marketing until he has enough money to pay for an actual professional.
2. Started a small network of young Croatian entrepreneurs to support and exchange knowledge and ideas with one another
3. Started learning copywriting.
4. Started learning Javascript.
6. Joined this forum.

Now I have a plan in place, and if asked will share it with you. But this post was just introductions, and has gone on longer than intended because I'm goddamn stoked to be a part of this forum.

So...

Hello World!
Hi, Marc, and welcome! What will Javascript enable you to do once you've learned it? Just curious, as I'm thinking of learning something new.

MarcBolan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Sep 23, 2016
Hi, Marc, and welcome! What will Javascript enable you to do once you've learned it? Just curious, as I'm thinking of learning something new.
Well basically I'm learning copy to improve my writing and make more money, while learning Javascript because it seemed like a pretty nice entry-level coding language. I'm hooked now, since it really changes the way you look at things.
Great first post. The title needs work though.

Thank you, and I'm aware of that. Like I said, I am very new at this :). For clarity though, could you give me some critique and suggestions?

G

GuestUser155

It sucks.

Welp, there goes that.

1. A friend started a small start-up in my hometown, I immediately contacted him and asked him if he needed a head of marketing until he has enough money to pay for an actual proffessional.
6. Joined this forum.

So...

Hello World!

Hello, it's always uplifting to hear someone working towards bettering their circumstances.

I hope you don't mind critique, because a few things popped into my head and I hope they help you in some way.

First, "(Number One Will Surprise You!)" I chuckled. Unfortunately, it's been beaten dead for a long time now.

"The thing is, it would be a social platform and I don't know ANYTHING about web design, about programming, about the economy, nothing." Has Germany not found libraries yet? Anyway, there are a bunch of locations online where you can learn these things for free or get access to all of the books you would ever need. PM if a few google searches don't do the trick, but they should.

Javascript's a good start (although the programming microcosm doesn't think so :D). Besides for it's own sake, what uses do you see it advancing your goals?

On that note, what are you goals?

Cheers and hope to see you around.

MarcBolan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Sep 23, 2016
Hello, it's always uplifting to hear someone working towards bettering their circumstances.

I hope you don't mind critique, because a few things popped into my head and I hope they help you in some way.

First, "(Number One Will Surprise You!)" I chuckled. Unfortunately, it's been beaten dead for a long time now.

"The thing is, it would be a social platform and I don't know ANYTHING about web design, about programming, about the economy, nothing." Has Germany not found libraries yet? Anyway, there are a bunch of locations online where you can learn these things for free or get access to all of the books you would ever need. PM if a few google searches don't do the trick, but they should.

Javascript's a good start (although the programming microcosm doesn't think so :D). Besides for it's own sake, what uses do you see it advancing your goals?

On that note, what are you goals?

Cheers and hope to see you around.

As cliche as it may have seemed, it got you to click, didn't it :D?

In regards to the part about libraries, I was merely describing my train of thought in the moment I got the idea. It wasn't as if I couldn't learn, it was that I couldn't be arsed to learn.

Things are a bit different know, as I am devouring a huge number of books, and actually having fun while learning all this stuff.

I'm currently reading 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' and 'Javascript for Dummies', following Dan Lok's youtube channel, and following some copywriting blog's.

One step at a time I guess.

My goals? Hm...

1. Attaining a network of like-minded people from my country and 'spreading the word'
2. Earning at least 4 figures per month by June with my copywriting/writing.
3. Outsourcing some of the more technical stuff for the platform so I can concentrate on actually selling the idea to potential customers.
4. Pay off my dad's debt.
5. Pay off my mom's debt.
6. Scale and expand my business.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

It sucks.

Welp, there goes that.

6. Joined this forum.

So...

Hello World!

dont give up and keep on feeding your mind and your brain with KNOWLEDGE. READ AND RE-READ THE MILLIONAIRE FASTLANE as many times as you can and program your subconscious into thinking law of effection and scale and magnitude

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Here's some tough love: You're on the right track, but you're still in the wantrepreneur phase. You need to stop being lazy, stop lying to yourself, and actually start doing something. Otherwise you'll be in the same spot as when you started.

Let's break down what you wrote and your mindset:

"So I nodded sagely, saying "Ah who cares, I'll be rich SOMEDAY." whilst doing ABSOLUTELY F*ckING NOTHING"

• You start off by admitting that you've done nothing in your past. You wanted to get something started but never did. Why? Likely because you were lazy and entitled. Look at the next quote.

"there was an alcoholic phase, a weed addiction phase and sex addiction phase. Fun times.)"

• You refer to marijuana and sex as "an addiction". As if people should feel bad for you. But you follow that up with the words: "Fun times." That exemplifies that you had absolutely no regrets about wasting your time on partying instead of progress.
    • You dropped out of school because you wanted to party. Not because you were addicted. You chose to take the easy path. And after realizing that it wasn't going anywhere, thought that moving to Germany would be the easy way out. You didn't think Germany would be a better opportunity, but an easier opportunity.

"I left my friends, my girlfriend and my parents behind and got ready to take the biggest step in my life! This was going to be F*cking AMAZING! ... It sucks."

• You ran away from your problems at home. You didn't want to go to college. You didn't want to do actual work. You were lazy and entitled. And that's why you convinced yourself that moving to Germany would solve all your problems.
    • Then you moved there and realized that you actually have to do work. Oh, you have to actually work for a living? You have to actually wait tables to get paid? Who would've thought that getting a job would actually involve work? Are you F*cking kidding me?! You wanted this. You wanted to move to Germany, wait tables, and create a better life than you had back home. And then you instantly realized that there was actual work involved. So what'd you do? You quit.
    • You might still be waiting tables, but it's obvious that you are already giving yourself an out and excuse for failure.
    • So after your "realization" that you don't want to be a waiter, you decide that your next step is reading a book

"I pivoted my way of thinking towards a new perspective and it really. F*cking. Changed. My. Life."
      • And so you read The Millionaire Fastlane (which is a great book by away). But suddenly you assume that you changed your whole life? Why? Because you read a book? And now "know stuff"? No one gives a F*ck that you know stuff. Reading a book isn't going to pay the bills. Reading a book isn't going to buy you a Lambo.

There's countless people on this forum that come in, make a post, and then pretend that they're going to do stuff because they read a book. Then they proceed to do nothing other than make pointless "self-help" posts.

You seem to be one of those people.

You wrote about how you were (and likely still are) lazy and entitled. And how you expect the world to bend over and let you become rich. But here's some news for you: it won't. You have a terrible mindset, and need to change it ASAP. It's not to late to get on the right path. However, creating a feel-good post on this forum won't bring you any closer. Stop lying to yourself. Stop lying to yourself and start actually doing stuff. Create an actual plan. Not "I'm going to make money." But "I'm going to wait tables, cut my expenses, set aside $200 a week, then invest that $200 into creating a product, etc."

Stop lying to yourself and start taking action.

MarcBolan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Sep 23, 2016
Here's some tough love: You're on the right track, but you're still in the wantrepreneur phase. You need to stop being lazy, stop lying to yourself, and actually start doing something. Otherwise you'll be in the same spot as when you started.

I appreciate the tough love, I really do, and there are some parts where you couldn't be more on point. I really was/am lazy and entitled. One of the reasons I flunked college was that I partied instead of studying. I really did leave Croatia for Germany because it was an easier opportunity to earn more money, because it simply is. There is no going around those facts.

I haven't changed as much as neccessary, I will give you that.

There are however some points you are wrong, which is no fault of your own, but the way I structured those statements. Allow me to take you through them.

"there was an alcoholic phase, a weed addiction phase and sex addiction phase. Fun times.)"
    • You refer to marijuana and sex as "an addiction". As if people should feel bad for you. But you follow that up with the words: "Fun times." That exemplifies that you had absolutely no regrets about wasting your time on partying instead of progress.
The "Fun times." of that sentence was sarcasm, and hindsight being a b*tch. I may have had fun back then, but all the negative side-effect that came along with my lifestyle were killing me and killing my potential, and I am now well aware of that. In no way am I proud of those years, or consider them anything but counter-productive and dangerous. Long story short; I am aware of my failings and am currently in the process of weeding them out and killing them.

• Then you moved there and realized that you actually have to do work. Oh, you have to actually work for a living? You have to actually wait tables to get paid? Who would've thought that getting a job would actually involve work? Are you F*cking kidding me?! You wanted this. You wanted to move to Germany, wait tables, and create a better life than you had back home. And then you instantly realized that there was actual work involved. So what'd you do? You quit.
    • You might still be waiting tables, but it's obvious that you are already giving yourself an out and excuse for failure.
Again, false. None of the reasons Germany sucked up til now for me has to do with the work I do. There are a number of factors that influence a person once they move far away; culture shock, alienation, isolation, language barrier. Moving from one part of Europe to another isn't as easy as moving to LA from New York. There are several things Croatia has that Germany doesn't, and vice versa. Different laws, different customs, different senses of humour. My work has actually been the only costant in my 'struggles' here and has been providing me with focus.

Every time I dealt with nasty customers, or had to stay longer, or do some manual labour I was thinking about how closer I was getting to my goal at the time. One cent at a time.

My goals have since changed, but the focus on them hasn't.

I admit the way I wrote the post might not represent everything I have been through, or how I feel about that, it was kept short for brevity purposes. Nobody is interested in my life story, otherwise I'd write an autobiography and sell it.

I have no excuse for failure, why would I have one? If I fail it will be through noone's fault but my own. Then all that's left is to gather the pieces, learn from them and move on.

• And so you read The Millionaire Fastlane (which is a great book by away). But suddenly you assume that you changed your whole life? Why? Because you read a book? And now "know stuff"? No one gives a F*ck that you know stuff. Reading a book isn't going to pay the bills. Reading a book isn't going to buy you a Lambo.
There's countless people on this forum that come in, make a post, and then pretend that they're going to do stuff because they read a book. Then they proceed to do nothing other than make pointless "self-help" posts.

You wrote about how you were (and likely still are) lazy and entitled. And how you expect the world to bend over and let you become rich. But here's some news for you: it won't. You have a terrible mindset, and need to change it ASAP. It's not to late to get on the right path. However, creating a feel-good post on this forum won't bring you any closer. Stop lying to yourself. Stop lying to yourself and start actually doing stuff. Create an actual plan. Not "I'm going to make money." But "I'm going to wait tables, cut my expenses, set aside $200 a week, then invest that $200 into creating a product, etc."

There are multiple ways something can change your life, you know. It didn't make me a millionaire overnight, nor did I expect it to.

It changed my life in the sense that I now finally feel I can be a player in the game, that I can create opportunities for myself. It motivated me and made me decide to fine-hone my skills and put them to use.

See, based on my intro post, you created these assumptions I did nothing of value to myself and have just been sitting on my arse playing games while saying "I'll be rich!" which is simply false.

I simply didn't include enough information about anything but my current state-of-mind, which you then proceeded to knock over without actually seeing the positives inside it. Again, perhaps no fault of your own, I wrote it the way I did, and perhaps it really came across like that.

To put your mind to rest, I have a plan, and am in the process already. Progress has been slow, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

1. A friend of mine launched a website for a AV service with some web-design components, I hit him up and asked if he needed any help with marketing it and setting up sales. He said yes, and I am now partnering up with him and helping him to the best of my abilities. I helped him form a plan of attack, while learning on the fly about the industry. I already succeded in attaining the help of a professional in PR to help me learn faster, whilst securing the services of a person in the video-editing (compositing and such) to help us rise above the noise and have an edge as compared to our competition. There are some hurdles in our way, but I am confident with our current pace, we will be able to achieve our first mile-stone. I have also been cold-calling some agencies that might be interested in such a service, but I just started doing that today, so I can't say I got very far. One step-at-a-time.
  2. I have gathered a few people from my social circle back home that I know are ambitious, have drive and skills, and have collected them in a network, to swap ideas, help each other, critique each other and such. Since I have decided that guidelines should be a bit on the stricter side, progress has been slow so far. But ten people are more than the zero people I had a week ago.
  3. I am learning everything I can to boost my value. On the train to work I read, on the train home I read, every time I take a break, I read. When I don't read, I discuss, I look for critique and come up with ideas for improvement.
  4. I set aside half of the tips I receive every day, whilst not even touching my bank account if the reason isn't good enough. (my roommate needed some cash to pay the rent so I gave him some)
  5. I have made arrangements to move to a cheaper apartment so I can save even more money in the future and am going to scout it tommmorrow.
These are only some of the things I did to improve myself in that regard, and there are many more things I need to do to actually consider myself better than I was before, but I am not going to quit anytime soon. I'm not here to get people to feel 'sorry' for me or to validate me because I read the book. I am here to learn, to improve, to learn some more and then EARN.

I don't expect anyone to hand me anything, the universe doesn't owe me anything. I am well aware that I have a hard road ahead of me, and I don't care.

Thank you for your words, man. You have provided me with some food for thought.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

Let's break down what you wrote and your mindset:

"So I nodded sagely, saying "Ah who cares, I'll be rich SOMEDAY." whilst doing ABSOLUTELY F*ckING NOTHING"

• You start off by admitting that you've done nothing in your past. You wanted to get something started but never did. Why? Likely because you were lazy and entitled. Look at the next quote.
    • You dropped out of school because you wanted to party. Not because you were addicted. You chose to take the easy path. And after realizing that it wasn't going anywhere, thought that moving to Germany would be the easy way out. You didn't think Germany would be a better opportunity, but an easier opportunity.

"I left my friends, my girlfriend and my parents behind and got ready to take the biggest step in my life! This was going to be F*cking AMAZING! ... It sucks."

• You ran away from your problems at home. You didn't want to go to college. You didn't want to do actual work. You were lazy and entitled. And that's why you convinced yourself that moving to Germany would solve all your problems.
    • So after your "realization" that you don't want to be a waiter, you decide that your next step is reading a book

"I pivoted my way of thinking towards a new perspective and it really. F*cking. Changed. My. Life."

DAMN man the fact that you took the time to write out all that shows you are a passionate member of this forum. @MarcBolan take note, tough love doesnt come often on introductory threads. this was epic sir

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...