The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Your Smartphone Killing Your Time?

Anything related to matters of the mind

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I own a flip phone. It’s cheap, reliable, great battery life, phone spins around on the table a lot better, and I don’t have the negatives associated with owning a smart phone. What are the negatives?

Smart phone negatives:

#1 Damaged Social life

People are constantly staring at their phones and missing out on life. Social media is one of the reasons that keep people glued to their phones.

Getting all of your social interactions through a tiny screen is hardly fulfilling. Do you want to get better at interacting with people in real life? Or worse?

I often see couples on dates or groups of friends hanging out and they are all staring down at their phones, missing out on time they could be having real fun or getting to know each other.

#2 Smart phones kill productivity

Time spent watching videos of kittens or scrolling down for the best meme is time that you could be reading, learning, or working towards doing something that you’ve always wanted to do, but have been putting off.

How many hours do you spend on your smartphone? How many hours of that is wasted?

#3 Stiff neck and Shoulder pain

Posture is important if you want to feel good or if you are any kind of athlete. With your neck bent forward for hours a day you are adding up to 50 lbs of pressure to the back of your neck.
And you are wondering why you have a stiff neck or shoulders.

#4 Poor sleep quality

Staring at light on a screen before bed will keep you from falling to sleep as good as if you were to have the lights turned off for an hour or two before you go to bed.
And you are complaining about insomnia!?

# 5 Smartphone and driving can get you killed!

It’s dangerous. Texting and driving with a touchscreen is more dangerous than with a flip phone because you have to look at the screen to text.

With a flip phone you can text at traffic lights by feel and still keep your eyes on the road. (although I don’t recommend texting and driving I still know people are going to do it)

A flip phone is like the condom of texting and driving and a smartphone is an STD

#6 Smartphones drain your bank account

A lot of people pay $700- $800 plus for their smart phones plus monthly charges that are $40-$100 per month more than what they would pay if they just got a basic flip phone.

You are PAYING money to have a tiny computer to make you miss out on things in life.
Consider switching to a flip phone to stop distracting you from taking action.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Makes sense. I also have some friends that share your view (usually older guys).

I think it also has a lot to do with your habits. I have an old iphone 4, but i basically use it as a modem, plugged into the wall across the room.

Usually it sits for hours without being touched.

Only rarely will i use the flashlight, or check the internet (in the bathroom, when outside).

Also, some of it's apps are useful for important notifications (stock price levels reached).

I think it's good to have an iphone/android. Life is easier with a smartphone. But you shouldn't be using it often.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
I built my brand off social media, I speak with my suppliers via Skype from my phone, I can check sales and adjust features 24/7.

no thanks flip phone...

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I built my brand off social media, I speak with my suppliers via Skype from my phone, I can check sales and adjust features 24/7.

no thanks flip phone...
I guess it depends on what you use it for XD haha

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
#1 Damaged Social life

Just delete facebook, snapchat, and instagram, etc. from your phone. Then when you're out with people, turn off your phone, or put it on silent.

Not really. Just turn your phone off for a bit if it's a huge distraction. Or turn off wifi/data so that you don't get any notifications other than texts and calls.

This might be an issue, however, I'm not sure how significant.

#4 Poor sleep quality

I've never had a problem falling asleep. I always do work on my laptop in the dark in bed with my cellphone next to me. Never had a problem.

Smartphones are safer than flip phones. You gave the example of being able to feel what you type. Well, with a smartphone, and bluetooth, all I have to do is say "Ok Google, Text @arfadugus I'll be there in ten minutes. Send." Then the phone sends it.

Just buy a Chinese brand like Huawei for $200. Specs are nearly the same as the newest iphone (except with a headphone jack), and will last you a couple years.

You are PAYING money to have a tiny computer to make you miss out on things in life.

Having a smartphone has huge benefits that you're missing out on.

For example, I have instant access to all my favorite music. Whenever I need to get into a certain mindset, I cue the music.

Google Maps is probably the greatest time saver that I have. I save a bunch of time sitting in potential traffic, and also am able to get to my destination without a problem.

Apps like Yelp optimize my experiences. Whenever I land in a new place, I know instantly where everything is, and eat at the best restaurants without having to survey hundreds of people.

Apps like Uber and Lyft save me a ton of time and money. I pay $2.75 for a shared uber ride to get from my house to pretty much anywhere in the city. That's basically the price of public transit, but instead I have someone conveniently pick me up and drop me off. I never have to pay for parking and nearly always have a ride three minutes away.

Apps like Wechat and Skype help me communicate with my suppliers instantly. I can also take pictures and video and send them any issues that I have. Saves me a bunch of time.

Email on my phone allows me to work wherever I am. Let's say I'm waiting on a friend and have an extra ten minutes. I'm using that time to work instead of sitting around doing nothing.

I also read newsletters like http://thehustle.co when on the toilet. My knowledge of what's going on in the world is likely in the 99th percentile.

Having a smartphone has HUGE benefits. Your problem is not the smartphone, but not knowing when to turn it off and set it aside.

G

GuestUser155

Like any tool, they'll hurt you if you use it incorrectly.

I own a flip phone. It’s cheap, reliable, great battery life, phone spins around on the table a lot better, and I don’t have the negatives associated with owning a smart phone. What are the negatives?

Negatives of a flip phone:

1). Outdated -- the technology has gotten much better and there are still cheap options that still have all the upsides: TracFones. I used a TracFone when I was a kid and all it was embarrassing as hell, it works better than the flip phones I had.
2). No GPS navigation -- This is huge. GPS has saved me numerous times (taking the wrong exit, having to walk home from the movies 25 miles because I didn't have a ride, etc.)
3). No extra (up to date) apps -- Fast internet, Email, etc.

Smart phone negatives:
#1 Damaged Social life

People are constantly staring at their phones and missing out on life. Social media is one of the reasons that keep people glued to their phones.

Getting all of your social interactions through a tiny screen is hardly fulfilling. Do you want to get better at interacting with people in real life? Or worse?

I often see couples on dates or groups of friends hanging out and they are all staring down at their phones, missing out on time they could be having real fun or getting to know each other.

I don't use social media. I use text and it's a good way to communicate for quick things. It's how you use it.

Time spent watching videos of kittens or scrolling down for the best meme is time that you could be reading, learning, or working towards doing something that you’ve always wanted to do, but have been putting off.

How many hours do you spend on your smartphone? How many hours of that is wasted?

Same thing can be said about laptops. It's how you use them.

Posture is important if you want to feel good or if you are any kind of athlete. With your neck bent forward for hours a day you are adding up to 50 lbs of pressure to the back of your neck.
And you are wondering why you have a stiff neck or shoulders.

I don't know anyone who forcefully moves their neck in such a fashion. I just put the phone in a comfortable position where I can look at it by just moving my eyes instead of my entire head.

#4 Poor sleep quality

Staring at light on a screen before bed will keep you from falling to sleep as good as if you were to have the lights turned off for an hour or two before you go to bed.
And you are complaining about insomnia!?

Same thing can be said about laptops. It's how you use them.

It’s dangerous. Texting and driving with a touchscreen is more dangerous than with a flip phone because you have to look at the screen to text.

With a flip phone you can text at traffic lights by feel and still keep your eyes on the road. (although I don’t recommend texting and driving I still know people are going to do it)

A flip phone is like the condom of texting and driving and a smartphone is an STD

There's voice to text. It's been around for a while and it's very useful.

A lot of people pay $700- $800 plus for their smart phones plus monthly charges that are $40-$100 per month more than what they would pay if they just got a basic flip phone.

I'm paying for 4gb/m, unlimited call and text, and for a literal computer in my pocket. Do you not see all of the good?

It's very late and I probably shouldn't have written all of this out, but it's too late now (both ways) for me to be accountable for my actions.

I guess it depends on what you use it for XD haha

Hey there, pal. I see you "XD"ing a lot. I don't mind, but just keep it on the down low. I feel like I'm back in middle school, chatting with cute emo chicks on facebook (rawr, etc.).

Also, why six reasons? I was expecting 7 when I saw 6. I was disappointed, good copy tip. 5 or 7, but not 6.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Warren Buffet still uses a flip phone.

And a CRT TV.

I stopped using smartphones since March and my friends freaked out. They got scared that I am off the grid.
Now I am back to smartphone for biz reasons.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
from a capitalist point of view , i see things otherwise :

smartphones are the perfect example of an amazing winning marketing strategy :

taking advantage of people's biases : social proof, need to be connected and more profound biaises related to the brain wiring.

famous marketer Jay Abraham once said that nobody wanted a smartphone in 1990.

a lot of winning fashions and products are not needs, but weaknesses well used: the brain wiring

this is sun tzu strategy

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Having a smartphone has HUGE benefits. Your problem is not the smartphone, but not knowing when to turn it off and set it aside.
^^^ Worth repeating.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
I use my smartphone all the time for just about anything.

That being said, there's nothing like going camping for a weekend or something and being 100% disconnected for a few days.

Every single time I do this, when I get back, I have unbelievable amounts of energy and motivation and can think so clearly - there's nothing like it.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
SplenDO(app) changed my life, seriously.. I have NO IDEA how i would be able to do what i do without it. All your points are valid for someone with zero self discipline.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
He does? That's awesome! Haha
Yea, apparently his reasoning is:

“I checked the actuarial tables, and the lowest death rate is among six-year-olds. So I decided to eat like a six-year-old. It’s the safest course I can take," the famously canny investor says.

15668467.jpg

G

GuestUser155

Yea, apparently his reasoning is:

“I checked the actuarial tables, and the lowest death rate is among six-year-olds. So I decided to eat like a six-year-old. It’s the safest course I can take," the famously CANny investor says.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Just delete facebook, snapchat, and instagram, etc. from your phone. Then when you're out with people, turn off your phone, or put it on silent.

Not really. Just turn your phone off for a bit if it's a huge distraction. Or turn off wifi/data so that you don't get any notifications other than texts and calls.

This might be an issue, however, I'm not sure how significant.

I've never had a problem falling asleep. I always do work on my laptop in the dark in bed with my cellphone next to me. Never had a problem.

Smartphones are safer than flip phones. You gave the example of being able to feel what you type. Well, with a smartphone, and bluetooth, all I have to do is say "Ok Google, Text @arfadugus I'll be there in ten minutes. Send." Then the phone sends it.

Just buy a Chinese brand like Huawei for $200. Specs are nearly the same as the newest iphone (except with a headphone jack), and will last you a couple years.

Having a smartphone has huge benefits that you're missing out on.

For example, I have instant access to all my favorite music. Whenever I need to get into a certain mindset, I cue the music.

Google Maps is probably the greatest time saver that I have. I save a bunch of time sitting in potential traffic, and also am able to get to my destination without a problem.

Apps like Yelp optimize my experiences. Whenever I land in a new place, I know instantly where everything is, and eat at the best restaurants without having to survey hundreds of people.

Apps like Uber and Lyft save me a ton of time and money. I pay $2.75 for a shared uber ride to get from my house to pretty much anywhere in the city. That's basically the price of public transit, but instead I have someone conveniently pick me up and drop me off. I never have to pay for parking and nearly always have a ride three minutes away.

Apps like Wechat and Skype help me communicate with my suppliers instantly. I can also take pictures and video and send them any issues that I have. Saves me a bunch of time.

Email on my phone allows me to work wherever I am. Let's say I'm waiting on a friend and have an extra ten minutes. I'm using that time to work instead of sitting around doing nothing.

I also read newsletters like http://thehustle.co when on the toilet. My knowledge of what's going on in the world is likely in the 99th percentile.

Touche. You've changed my mind 100%

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Waze might be more useful for you.

tflfguy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 26, 2016
United States
The same 6 points could (almost) be argued for virtually ANY tech device.
It's a tool - but like a lot of things - can be abused and dominate both your time and money.

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
You gotta turn your phone off or lock it away while you're working. I mindlessly scroll through Facebook sometimes and have to catch myself. Mark Zuckerburg is smart, he made that site super addictive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.