The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The numbers are just staggering.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
So just everyone doesn't have to click the same link...

Personally I really like Snapchat (although I don't use it). They aren't pushing any agenda (twitter), they have brought in some simple yet fun features (puppy face) and its a smart, clean product.

Crazy to think a simple app is within range of AirBnB which is so successful and also has some much physical property tied to its company.

Side note - I have been enjoying watch twitter crash and burn these past few months.

Snapchat heads for IPO that could value 'mega unicorn' at $25bn
The flotation of the five-year-old app, now used by more than 40% of young Americans, will be the largest social media IPO since Twitter in 2013

Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel in Los Angeles. The flotation would turn Spiegel into a multi-billionaire.

Snapchat is preparing for a “mega unicorn” flotation on the stock market that could value the five-year-old mobile app known for its disappearing photos at as much as $25bn.

The company behind the app, which its 26-year-old founder Evan Spiegel created at his Stanford University fraternity house in 2011, is said to have appointed Wall Street banks Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs to lead its initial public offering (IPO) on the New York stock exchange as early as March 2017.

If the Los Angeles-based firm goes ahead with the flotation it will be the biggest technology IPO for years, and could pave the way for other bigger tech firms to go public. There are a string of “mega unicorns” companies, defined as those valued at more than $10bn, looking to realise their founders’ and investors’ wealth by floating on the stock market. Among those waiting in the wings are Uber (which was last valued at $68bn) and Airbnb (worth $30bn at its last investment round).

The flotation of parent company Snap Inc, which was valued at $18bn at its last funding round, will be the largest social media IPO since Twitter floated in November 2013. Since then Twitter has suffered, with its shares falling from a high of $69 to $17.80 on Thursday. The 140-character messaging company has been struggling to find itself a buyer as it fails to build revenue and grow its user base.

A Snap flotation would turn Spiegel and co-founder Bobby Murphy into multi-billionaires. At a $25bn valuation the founders’ stakes in the company, which recently changed its name to Snap Inc as it moves away from chatting to photography, would be worth almost $4bn each.

It would vindicate Spiegel’s decision to reject a $3bn takeover by Facebook in 2013, when Snapchat had yet to make any revenue.

Since then Snapchat has grown its daily user base (of mostly teenagers and young adults) to 150m, and hopes to generate advertising revenue of more than $350m this year, a big increase on the $59m it earned last year as it further explores partnerships with brands including Burberry, Tiffany and KFC.

Analysts at eMarketer recently said the company could bring in advertising revenue of almost $1bn by 2017, as brands ditch traditional advertising models for new media that appeals to younger people. Just over 40% of Americans aged between 18-34 are Snapchat users.

The firm recently launched a new service, called Snap Audience Match, that lets marketers match consumers’ email addresses and phone numbers with Snapchat’s user data in order to deliver targeted ads. Snapchat also lets companies know if users often consume certain types of content, like sport or gaming, so they can direct ads to those groups of people. These developments have angered some users and privacy campaigners.

A spokeswoman for Snap refused to comment on the company’s IPO plans. The appointment of a suite of banks to prepare for an IPO, which also including Barclays, Credit Suisse, JP Morgan, Deutsche Bank and Allen & Co, was earlier reported by the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg.

The company can file its IPO documents privately with the Securities and Exchange Commission because the company makes less than $1bn in revenue.

Last edited:

TwoSteps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Mar 30, 2016
Southampton (UK)
What fascinates me about these particular businesses is the simplicity of the idea and mass appeal that creates massive value in a very short space of time. $0 - $25BN in just 5 years! It's sensational.

@Fox Call me naive, it wouldn't be the first time someone has, but for future reference how did you embed the article?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
They aren't pushing any agenda (twitter),

I have been enjoying watch twitter crash and burn these past few months.

Wow, I didn't think this was so obvious outside of the states.

And yea, my guess is the two are interlinked.

What fascinates me about these particular businesses is the simplicity of the idea and mass appeal that creates massive value in a very short space of time. $0 - $25BN in just 5 years! It's sensational.

IMO, it's ridiculous -- but then again, I'm not entangled in VC culture, nor I don't use Snapchat or many of the SM services. So my opinion is one of ignorance.

You really have to give kudos to the people behind it because managing all that explosive growth is not easy. Once something starts gaining traction, scaling isn't just about adding another server and a few employees. This is where something can crash and fizzle, or blow up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlexanderCordero

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 10, 2016

IMO, it's ridiculous -- but then again, I'm not entangled in VC culture, nor I don't use Snapchat or many of the SM services. So my opinion is one of ignorance.

You really have to give kudos to the people behind it because managing all that explosive growth is not easy. Once something starts gaining traction, scaling isn't just about adding another server and a few employees. This is where something can crash and fizzle, or blow up.

Gary V... Gary Vee or Gary Vaynerchuck has been saying this about Snapchat for a very long time! If he is all in he might finally come close to be able to buying his football team lol

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia

It doesn't require any brains to highlight the obvious.
I would be surprised if someone else would say that a few years ago.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I have been closely following a certain political event and have noticed a LOT of drama/issues/censorship/bannings. Unless these companies are getting truck loads of cash beside the scenes they are really shooting themselves in the foot. Whatever your political view trying to use your companies platform to push an agenda is a terrible, terrible idea. This is one reason that I love that the forum doesn't promote political talk.

Also in this case its social media so it goes against the whole idea of the platform. I hope they go the way of MySpace.

"Hey dad what was twitter?"
"Which one? I don't remember, check what Snapchat says" :woot:

Torobaro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 30, 2016
Spain
I recently read that snapchat is going to be even bigger than whatsapp. People between 15-25 years use voice notes on whatsapp they hate typing. That´s precisely one of strengths of snapchat, it allows you to communicate without having to type anything. I found that very powerful because I´ hadn´t realized I had been using voice notes increasingly for several months now.

Maybe Snapchats IPO could be the first and only fastlane stock related idea
;)

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
The thing that I thought was holding snapchat back a little was the inability for people to discover you naturally. thinking of it as an ad product it works in their favour though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

toxicrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Oct 20, 2016
AppStore & GooglePlay
retention and engagement rule the app world, and snapchat is at the top for both of those metrics.

i use snapchat quite a bit (but my friends use it more), and even with recent instagram stories launch, my friends still share more content on snapchat than anywhere else.

given the fact that the company makes no revenue to support this valuation, and there is no room to advertise for SMBs at the moment, i think its overpriced at $25B. I would short their stock until they introduce app download ads (like Facebook eventually did) then I would go long on the stock. I have clients and friends waiting for snapchat ad api to support this type of bidding in the coming year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.