The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Create a Home Based Web Design Business and Make R$15,000 + Per Month in 9 Months or Less.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Create a Home Based Web Design Business and Make R$15,000 + Per Month in 9 Months or Less.

Introduction

Hey guys,

So I've come a long way since I first joined this forum.

At first, I restrained myself from posting on the here because I felt that I had no real value to give. After taking massive amounts of action, I gained a series of life experiences that have allowed me to relate to most people on the forum on a much more deep and personal level.

Having been through the struggle, I now know what it's like to be in a lot of people's shoes.

I've pretty much failed in just about everything you can imagine. And honestly? That has been my biggest blessing in disguise. It's how I learned.

During this time I've done a bunch of things.

I have:
  • Gotten a job in sales
  • Learned copywriting
  • Got my own copywriting clients
  • Learned Wordpress and Basic HTML
  • Got a bunch of simple web design and graphic design clients
  • Outsourced work

• Got a job at an advertising agency

• And so much more.
All of these things taught me so much.

More specifically, my failures have taught me some of my most valuable lessons.

With each failure, my knowledge and expertise increased, and enabled me faster and surer growth.

And now, I am confident that I have the at the bare minimum, the necessary mindset, motivation and skills to start my own business venture.

Why I Am Doing This

One person I worked with on the forum was @Fox

After he created this thread (How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months)

It made me want to go back and develop my coding skills.

It really inspired me that someone from Colombia is making $15,000 a month solving big problems for big businesses in the U.S. & Canada.

Since I'm getting a degree in advertising, learned copywriting, worked in sales, and know about design, I finally felt like something "clicked" for me. Something where I can put all of the skills I have acquired into a single business.

I have to start my own agency.

How I will do this

4 Steps
  • Clearly decide what I want and commit (Create a home based web design agency and make R$15,000 per month.)

• Take Massive Action

• Notice what's working or not

• Continue to change my approach until I reach my goal

Modeling

My reason "why"

By making R$15,000 per month consistently, I will be a top 1% earner in Brasil. This will free me from the shackles of a job, allow me to comfortably live 50% or more below my means, re-invest that money saved back into my business, and most importantly, I'll have the time to focus 100% on creating a business and scaling it.

How I Can Scale This In The Future

Agency
- http://sevenfigureagency.com/
Saas - Use the skills I have acquired to solve problems within a specific industry through software. https://thefoundation.com/

My plan
  • Learn the Basics of Coding - 2 Weeks

• Choose a Niche - 1 Week

• Find 3 large and influential companies with a bad website and build them one for free - 1 month

• Hire salesperson + start running ads + cold-calling - Immediately after all 3 websites are done.

• Land first 2k-5k job - 1 month
So if everything goes according to plan, in about 3 months I will have a solid base to start working upon. After that, it's all about getting sales.

Resources:
https://www.codecademy.com/.
https://www.udemy.com/design-and-develop-a-killer-website-with-html5-and-css3/
http://sevenfigureagency.com/
https://thefoundation.com/

Why You Should Follow This Thread

In this thread I will cover everything from:

• Selecting a niche

• Building a portfolio

• Getting my first customers

• Web design proposals

• Contracts

• Client Questionnaires

• Upsells

• Sales tactics

• Websites and Resources used

• and much more

Why I Am Choosing To Make A Progress Thread This Time

I know that by making my goals public I will have an extra urge to achieve them.

It's a spark up my a$$.

The extra urge to achieve my goal can now come from another source of motivation: my “fear of embarrassment."

The truth is – we all have fear.

I am afraid that if I don’t achieve my goals after telling you how committed I am to achieving them, I will be super embarrassed.

My daily routines, work ethic, consistency, and motivation will keep me on track.

This thread too.

Final Thoughts

I hope to bring massive value to you guys through my experiences.

So enough chit-chat, let's get to work!

P.S. - 15.000 Brazil reais = 4628.13 U.S. dollars.
Definitely an attainable goal.
That's 1 or 2 sites per month consistently. (2k-5k range)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Update:

Completed the Code Academy HTML and CSS sections.

Next up: Udemy Course - Build Responsive Real World Websites with HTML5 and CSS3

If I keep going at this rate, I'll be able to finish both courses within the time-frame I gave myself. (Yes, I'm actually learning. I not rushing through it.)

upload_2016-10-1_14-47-16.png

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016
Very cool man! I'm actually on the exact same path you are taking :) i wish you luck!

pedrohenrique.ss

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 28, 2016
Brazil
I'm brazilian too and attempt to do the same after read the Fox's post. It's cool find a brazilian here. What state you live?

Enviado de meu ASUS_Z00LD usando Tapatalk

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Count me in. ;)

Having finished the codecademy and udemy courses myself, I can say that they are a good point to start.

Hey @goodguude

Agree 100%.

CodeAcademy blew my mind. Learned so much in such a short amount of time.

Let's do this! :)

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
I'm brazilian too and attempt to do the same after read the Fox's post. It's cool find a brazilian here. What state you live?

Enviado de meu ASUS_Z00LD usando Tapatalk

Hey!

I'm from MG.

What about you?

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Update:

Completed the Code Academy HTML and CSS sections.

Next up: Udemy Course - Build Responsive Real World Websites with HTML5 and CSS3

If I keep going at this rate, I'll be able to finish both courses within the time-frame I gave myself. (Yes, I'm actually learning. I not rushing through it.)

View attachment 13277
If you really want to learn how to build quality websites, efficiently, hold on with your Udemy learning.
In 2016, a quality website is an implementation of very particular things, in a very particular way. Almost all common practices in a world of low-end web are obsolete and lead to ~10-15k lines of code websites, bad structure of websites and bad websites in general.
If your goal is to design and code websites yourself, both, start with design. Learning code first is a wrong foot to start with, especially from Udemy courses.

Regarding the hype around becoming a developer after reading Fox's thread - don't think it's that easy. It's not easy at all.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
If you really want to learn how to build quality websites, efficiently, hold on with your Udemy learning.
In 2016, a quality website is an implementation of very particular things, in a very particular way. Almost all common practices in a world of low-end web are obsolete and lead to ~10-15k lines of code websites, bad structure of websites and bad websites in general.
If your goal is to design and code websites yourself, both, start with design. Learning code first is a wrong foot to start with, especially from Udemy courses.

Regarding the hype around becoming a developer after reading Fox's thread - don't think it's that easy. It's not easy at all.

Oh, I don't think it's easy at all. Far from it!

It's a great skill to have though. So yes, I do plan on learning how to design and code websites myself.

With this being said, in regards to design, do you recommend any specific resources?

I'd love to check them out.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Oh, I don't think it's easy at all. Far from it!

It's a great skill to have though. So yes, I do plan on learning how to design and code websites myself.

With this being said, in regards to design, do you recommend any specific resources?

I'd love to check them out.
3.7designs
Awwwards
TheFWA
Behance

I would avoid all huge websites like 1stwebdesigner, webdesignerdepot and others, like plague.
But it's not about where you learn (what you learn still matters), it's about how. Look at best practices, analyze every examplatory website you stumble upon.
Aside of web-design, as it doesn't matter nearly as much as its perceptional aspects, learn cognitive psychology intensively. Designer is merely a psychologist with a pen and paper.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

What hype, I never said it was easy.

*** Disclaimer ***

While $15k+ a month (sales) might sound like a lot its not really. Its enough. Enough to invest in my real businesses and cover my basic living costs. Not every month is clean profit. I reinvest a lot of money into education, design and growing. Things go wrong and learning from scratch is hard work. Some jobs run overtime, some things I have to do twice, or three times or more.

I am not sipping cocktails on some beach while I go code once or twice a week on a hammock.
I am sleeping on a mattress with a desk, white boards and notepads in the corner. I code 8 - 10 hours a day and also spend half the morning at Uni trying to learn Spanish.

This is a crash course on entrepreneurship while you earn money. You have to learn to sell, cold call, manage, outsource, and so on. Everyday.
Coding websites is time intensive by nature.

If you are looking for easy money this probably isn't it. If you are looking to learn about business really fast though while funding and learning how to grow your own business this is excellent. Maybe in a few more months it will be more smooth but everyday right now is a full on grind. I love it though and have seen huge growth in a short time but its not for everyone.

Just want to add that in before someone thinks this is some overnight hack plan.

Last edited:

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Coding:

Just finished the Udemy course that was recommended by @Fox

However, I feel that I haven't internalized much of the content from the course.
I ran into a couple of problems along the way with the coding part, so I have decided to do it AGAIN.
It's a quick course anyway, so I should finish it by the weekend (I'm just going to go over the website building part.)

Repetition is the mother of all learning. So the more I mess up, the more I figure out what's right (and the less mistakes I'll make.)

I'm pretty confident that this time I can code a bit faster and will know what to do beforehand in case I come across any errors.

It's more of a confidence thing to be honest.
I don't want to take on my first project feeling rusty.
I want to be able to deliver amazing value to my first client.

Random Thoughts:

Aside from coding, I feel like I'm becoming more aware of my mindset and how it impacts me as I try to grow my skills and build a business.

I even had a quick conversation with @goodguude.

There really is no secret to any of this.

You just need to:

1. Set your priorities straight
2. Achieve laser-like focus
3. And have the discipline to do what is necessary each and every day

Surprisingly, once you commit to something 100%, you start to notice how many distractions you have throughout the day.
You start to realize how many people don't have clearly defined goals and just go through the motions. How many people just coast through life.
You start seeing a radical change in your daily actions. Suddenly, you become more conscious of what you do. Every action you take is aligned with your goal. You try to waste no time and get shit done.

And best of all, you start to believe that what you want to achieve is possible if you just put in the work.

The more I work, the more confidence I gain.

Which reminds me of 2 quotes that keep me going:
  • "There's no talent here, this is hard work. This is an obsession. Talent does not exist, we are all equals as human beings. You could be anyone if you put in the time. You will reach the top, and that's that. I am not talented. I am obsessed.”
  • "Doubt is only removed by action, if you`re not working then that's when doubt comes in."
Next Steps

Connections

- Agency

Someone replied on @Fox thread that if they were to start all over again, they would make connections with marketing consultants and agencies. The agency I worked with in the past outsources all of their websites. Now, believe or not, there truly is a problem within these industries. My old boss was telling me how he's fed up with the guys he outsources his work too. He says that most of the guys where I'm from are good, but lack discipline. They're lazy. They hand in the work late. They have a "creative mindset" and opposed to a "business mindset". They want things to be pretty as opposed to getting results. And so much other b.s.

Anyways... we spoke and he told me that as soon I finish the course, if I can deliver good work, I'll get all his business, because there's a real need out there for people with these skills. And these people are "hard to find!" (his words, not mine.)

- Other businesses

These are other people that I have contacts with that are dying for a website or redesign
  • Italian restaurant
  • Carpentry
  • House painting
  • Tile installation
  • Landscaping

Final Thoughts

I'm looking for an industry to specialize in.
I'm hinking of going with "blue collar" guys.
Lawyers, doctors, etc, usually want to give their 2 cents on every job you do (my previous experience at the agency can prove it.)
Blue collar business owners see you as the expert and will usually give you the freedom to do what you think is best (they just care about results.)

So I'm seeking an industry with high-profit margins and that's more of a "blue collar" type.

Just keeping myself accountable.

Will update soon.

- Thiago

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Great post.

The course is great cause he does a few things at a higher level of coding and gives a good overview of the concept of web design.
Pay attention to his thoughts on style, color, font etc. They are important and are usually the difference between a good website and a great website.

I think I did it twice as well. I definitely used it for reference dozens of times.

Its probably the only site you will code 100% like that but its good to do it once to know how all the parts work. Its actually easier when you use themes (for the most part) but its helpful to understand the different parts that hold a website together.

One example would be responsive design. You will rarely have to touch that again but its useful to know how it works and how to edit it if needed. It comes pre coded with most themes so its usually not necessary.

Sounds like you are doing very well.

Whats your sales like so far?
How many portfolio sites have you done?

A good next step would be to use that website you just built and edit it for another company. Just change the text, pictures and color scheme. Thats a great exercise in working with themes (even if its your own).

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
How to Choose A Niche

So I have finished the Udemy course for the second time.
This time I felt like I really understood the concepts in the course and what I should do to properly edit a theme.
With this being said, now it's time for me to choose a niche.

As I have said before in a previous post, I want to be able to work with blue-collar businesses that have high-profit margins and sales revenue.

So the first thing I did was do some research on home advisor.
HomeAdvisor is a website that lists pre-screened and customer-rated service professionals.
On their website, you can get a directory list of home contractors serving your local area.

So if you click on this link http://www.homeadvisor.com/category/startRequest.html you will be taken to a page full of different categories.
So there's a ton of niches to choose from.

The second thing I did was some basic research on https://www.infousa.com/

Here's what you'll want to do:
  1. Go to https://www.infousa.com/
  2. Click on "Create a Business List"
  3. Click on "Get Started"
  4. Type your desired niche in the search box
  5. Click on "Size of Business"
  6. Click on "Sales Volume"
  7. Check off from $500,000 - $1 Million to $5 - $10 Million
  8. Look at the number of leads on the right hand side

Ideally, you'll want to pick and industry that has anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 businesses in the U.S. overall and about 1,000 to 3,000 businesses doing over a million dollars a year in sales. This means that they have money to spend and this will also ensure that you'll enter a profitable niche.
This type of research can be done on any website that maintains business and consumer data for marketing campaigns (hoovers works too.)

The third thing I did was use the Google Keyword Planner to see if people are searching for these businesses within my city (demand.) Even If I can do these jobs remotely, it's always good to know what the local demand is like for the businesses I'll be targeting.

Sales

So far, no sales yet.

I was basically learning everything I could until I felt comfortable enough to build a website.

However, there is still some good news to this story

1. My old boss (agency owner) needs his website redesigned. I'm willing to take him on as my first client (free) to not only build my portfolio, but to establish a good relationship with him. As I said before, he says he's fed up with the guys that he outsources websites too. So if I do a good job, he'll be sub-contracting on-going work to me. I also happened to do a quick-mockup of what his website could potentially look like using the Foundry theme page builder - http://preview.themeforest.net/item...ant-page-builder/full_screen_preview/11562108

I swapped some images, changed some texts, and took a screenshot of the website. He's impressed. We will be discussing further details tomorrow.

I think its safe to say that "showing" is better than "telling"

2. I plan on reaching out to an influential business within my chosen industry. This could also be a free job that will not only allow me to get my foot in the door within the industry, but I will also receive a solid portfolio piece. The reason why I am willing to take this one for free as well is because I can then position myself as a web designer that caters to this specific industry (ex: I build websites for carpet cleaners.)

So both websites will have a purpose.

I'll be building a "joint-venture" relationship with one and I'll be positioning myself as a service provider within that specific niche with the other.

- Thiago

Last edited:

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
That sounds like a NEED.

Aside from becoming one of the designers he needs, think about finding them for him (and others).

Yes!

Definitely @miked_d!

This seems to be something that happens quite often too.

This is also another thing I plan on doing.
Develop good relationships with agency owners so they can send some leads my way.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
Rather than cold calling, I'd focus on pull marketing.

Offer a free report and give them an offer they can't refuse to become a client. You'll make infinitely more and your reputation will be much better.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Rather than cold calling, I'd focus on pull marketing.

Offer a free report and give them an offer they can't refuse to become a client. You'll make infinitely more and your reputation will be much better.

I was seriously just thinking about that this afternoon @TheGrind, haha!

I'm thinking about running some ads + opt-in to get a free report that's tailored to my niche.

I can definitely see this working much better than a cold call as well.

Something along these lines - http://www.hardcorecloser.com/2015/02/simplest-4-step-lead-generating-funnel-ever/

Thanks for the feedback!

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Thiago, what's your strongest skill?

I'll comment on all other things you asked, but answer to this question has more value now.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Hey @devine,

Honestly? I'd say it's either writing or sales.

It's what I've been hired to do in the past (and present) anyways.

Last edited:

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Hey @devine,

Honestly? I'd say it's either writing or sales.

It's what I've been hired to do in the past (and present) anyways.
Have you considered joining someone else and do what you do the best?
Being a catalyst instead of diving into uncertain.

It will also allow you to sell things without a need to learn how to get them done, but having a strong product/service to offer.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
I have.

I know I can get it done. I've done so in the past.
And initially I wouldn't take on any crazy projects. Just one-page / 5 page websites.

You do showcase a good point though.
Do you have any suggestions? (partner up with an agency? Become an SDR? A BDR? etc.)

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Yes, partnering is a good idea. Integrate with them and make sure you pursue a common vision.
Don't just sale, catalyze business as a whole.

Makes sense.

Honestly, it's a bit hard for me to say what my "strongest skill" is.

I am by no means a "tech-whiz" or "superstar salesman."

I do know however, that if I wish to "perfect" any craft, I must put in the time, work and dedication to "mastering" it.

By taking this road, I feel like I could hone my sales, web design and copywriting skills all at once (instead of partnering up with a company.)

Don't get me wrong. I am an advocate to learning, becoming the best, and providing the best possible service to clients. However, what I intend to do isn't rocket science.

Building a parallax / one page website or a 5 page website for a small / mid sized business is relatively simple to do.

If I have the skills to solve a businesses problem, why not take a chance?

Most businesses aren't looking for a "crazy website."
They don't seem to care about it's technical aspects, but rather what it can do for them.

Clients I've dealt with in the past are more concerned with:

• "Does it look good?"
  • "Is it easy to use?"
  • "Is it responsive?"
  • "Can it bring in more leads?"
  • Etc

I just feel like I'm not taking enough action.

I can read all I want, take courses, attend seminars, etc, but if I'm not putting myself out there with real clients, what's the point?

Hope this clarifies my "thought process" a bit.

Love your feedback by the way.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!