The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Take my Business for Free!

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Some of you may know that I took an INE and created www.ValueCrates.com

We were featured on MSNBC, invited to audition for Shark Tank, and have a number of partnership agreements with large property management companies.

Unfortunately, a number of circumstances have led to be being unable to continue the business. I seriously injured my shoulder and will likely require surgery, my partner (an Army National Guard officer) began a year long deployment to the Middle East on Wednesday, and I am frankly undercapitalized to spend my way out of this problem. The business makes money, but not quite enough to pay a full time employee or replace my Washington DC salary requirement. Due to my personal financial situation, I had to return to a day job to support my family, and thus am unable to work on the business full-time myself (as I did over the summer).

So, I'm happily giving my business (including 2,600 crates) to anyone who wants to take it. You get rights to all the IP, my agreements, my investor contacts, the bank agreement which has allowed me to lease-to-own my crates, my Facebook re-marketing pixel data, any anything else you'd need. If you're willing to work hard and have either a small sum of money or fairly low monthly living expenses, I think you could turn this into a multi-million dollar, nationally franchised concept.

Please let me know soon, before I sell the crates to a competitor or give them back to the bank. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sorry to hear this man -- why can't you sell the crates?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Sorry to hear this man -- why can't you sell the crates?
I can, but it is piecemeal (just sold 400 to a moving company). Thought I'd give someone here an opportunity to take it before selling them all off.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

We were featured on MSNBC, invited to audition for Shark Tank, and have a number of partnership agreements with large property management companies.

Unfortunately, a number of circumstances have led to be being unable to continue the business. I seriously injured my shoulder and will likely require surgery, my partner (an Army National Guard officer) began a year long deployment to the Middle East on Wednesday, and I am frankly undercapitalized to spend my way out of this problem. The business makes money, but not quite enough to pay a full time employee or replace my Washington DC salary requirement. Due to my personal financial situation, I had to return to a day job to support my family, and thus am unable to work on the business full-time myself (as I did over the summer).

So, I'm happily giving my business (including 2,600 crates) to anyone who wants to take it. You get rights to all the IP, my agreements, my investor contacts, the bank agreement which has allowed me to lease-to-own my crates, my Facebook re-marketing pixel data, any anything else you'd need. If you're willing to work hard and have either a small sum of money or fairly low monthly living expenses, I think you could turn this into a multi-million dollar, nationally franchised concept.

Please let me know soon, before I sell the crates to a competitor or give them back to the bank. Thanks!
Sorry to hear this too. Hope your shoulder gets sorted.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Can all those crates fit into a living room? My living room is currently empty might as well go for it if I have the space for the inventory

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Man sorry to hear about that. Loved meeting you earlier in the year and seeing that light in your eye was really motivational. Hope it all gets sorted and you get healthy again, no one needs an injury.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Sorry to hear this too. Hope your shoulder gets sorted.
Thanks - the MRI showed 4 different problems...we are going to try to avoid surgery, but needless to say hauling hundreds of pounds of crates isn't/wasn't helping!

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Can all those crates fit into a living room? My living room is currently empty might as well go for it if I have the space for the inventory
It'd have to be a pretty big living room - we were using a 10x30 space, plus a 10x10 space and some extra space in my apartment.

Goldman snacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 15, 2016
Man sorry to hear about that. Loved meeting you earlier in the year and seeing that light in your eye was really motivational. Hope it all gets sorted and you get healthy again, no one needs an injury.

Can it be operated from NYC?

David Kotevski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 4, 2016
Hi I live in Chicago and was previously a mover and know the potential of this business and would gladly invest my time to make this succeed, upon reviewing your website don't even know why you would give away such a great idea as this will easily replace the old fashioned moving boxes and be a great contender in this industry.

You can pm for further details to discuss more if you like and go from there ?

thecza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 17, 2016

I'm incredibly interested in the business; how can I take you up on the offer?

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014

Sorry to hear Adam! Giving this away is very generous. I know you worked hard to get it where it is today. At least take 20 percent equity in case it does become a multi million dollar company. I would think transitioning this to someone in the DMV is best as you have existing customers?

David Kotevski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 4, 2016
I also did some numbers and to really scale this it would have to be near the 50,000 container mark with 500 customers monthly to put it in a gross of 500k+ revenue and average 20-30℅roi is still a crazy business in a few months when word really gets out.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I also did some numbers and to really scale this it would have to be near the 50,000 container mark with 500 customers monthly to put it in a gross of 500k+ revenue and average 20-30℅roi is still a crazy business in a few months when word really gets out.

That's about right. If you have the money to run ads, have an employee or two and stay on top of customer service you can get there. We did around 80 deliveries/mo on word of mouth and with me doing most of the work in the Spring. Didn't even touch the agreements with property management companies or running ads..never had the time or money.

DillanE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 21, 2016
New Jersey
I see this has been sitting awhile. I truly hope it doesn't get swept under the rug! Good luck sir!

Last edited:

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I see this has been sitting awhile. I truly hope it doesn't get swept under the table! Good luck sir!

I had some interest from some folks here, but no follow-up discussions. I'm in the process of getting the bank's approval to sell the remainder of the crates. Until I actually sell them, anyone who wants to can immediately take them under my existing lease agreement.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
I think that the business is a bad idea. Moving companies can offer the same service and more. Home Depot has cardboard boxes for $1 in different sizes and you get to keep them. They are going to Home Depot anyways to buy foam/paper for plates and glassware.

Then there's the constant advertising needed to tell people that you exist. Conversion rate should be low since you can't market to people directly searching for the service you provide. They will typically just look for moving/storage companies.

If the business is a good idea then why not keep the business and find a family member to help you out? Or hire someone. You've been in business for over a year. Why not hire just one guy to work part time? If you can't do that after operating with no employee expenses then something is seriously wrong.

Last edited:

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I won't go through a point by point refutation of your argument, but I will say this:
Businesses are run by humans, with every imaginable personal and financial situation. My personal situation was such that I chose to prioritize other areas of my life (namely health and family) over continuing to grow this business to the point of self sustainability. To flippantly suggest that I had not considered or tried to do what you suggest is aggravating, to say the least.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.