The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook ads for niche travel site

Marketing, social media, advertising

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
Guys hi,

I am working on niche travel site, so far i've made PPC sources profitable and now working on expending to other traffic sources.

I am testing facebook ads now and trying to understand how to target the potential customers and what to offer them (cause seems most of them are not in buying mode comparing to PPC people).

Let say we do "Golden Gate Bridge Tours" (for those who don't know that's one of the top sights in SF)

I've tried created campaign for website clicks, desktop only and put interests "Golden Gate Bridge" - this interest has close to 8 mil people.
Created ad saying "Golden Gate Bridge, the #1 Must See Place in San Francisco"
telling some interesting facts about the sight.

People click, and go the website, BUT
1. 60% of visitors are from SF, most likely locals
2. They quickly leave, don't check tour packages, nothing - stay for 20-30 seconds and leave.

Problems i see:
1. Targeting by "Golden Gate Bridge" most likely have people who already visited the place and SF.
How can i target the people who only plan to travel to SF?
2. Trying to sell to fast. Should i better grow the FB page about Golden Gate Bridge/SF?
And hope to score customers 3+ months later when they or their friends will go to SF?

What strategy could you recommend for my situation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Try this
00000347.png

Or exclude the locals.

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
Upon theag's suggestion, created ad set targeting people traveling in the area.
Most people still leave the page right away, BUT some went to product page, read some details and and moved the photos slider - so some interest is there.

Will test the same ad targeting specific area where majority of the hotels are.

AlexanderCordero

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 10, 2016
Please check out some of the posts by @AndyBlack. Andy showed us that landing pages do not convert people do. Saying this you want to find those tourists traveling to your destination(s), that are ready to take a tour(s).

FB Local Ads are perfect for this.... You can target those that are traveling to SF that are within 1 mile from your TourGuide/destination. Basically, this will single out those that are from SF, and not show your ad to the locals. The locals might not be your target market (but we don't know test everything).

I would start by featuring the destinations and very cool facts (your tour guides know a lot more than they are telling you - they are a Gold Mines of Intel.) that would make the tours exciting and interesting. Don't forged FB live videos either.

Oh by the way... The MONEY is in up-selling those that already took a tour. Grab all their emails and create a custom audience... Re target them with awesome deals for more tours, dinner packages, discounts coupons to local stores etc.

Hope this helps a little.

Warmest regards,

Alexander

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
This isn't necessarily related to what you're asking, but will be invaluable to you nonetheless.

Trying to sell to cold traffic via Facebook ads is what Dan Kennedy calls "selling a step too far."

Instead, offer a free report to them that's related to your offer and build trust with them through an email sequence eventually pitching them. This will result in MUCH more effective ads.

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
Alexander, thank you for your reply!
Please check out some of the posts by @AndyBlack. Andy showed us that landing pages do not convert people do. Saying this you want to find those tourists traveling to your destination(s), that are ready to take a tour(s).
Already did! In fact AndyBlack's posts helped a ton in making my PPC profitable and changing my view on things. Especially one of his ideas stuck in my mind - "You should try to increase CPC"

FB Local Ads are perfect for this.... You can target those that are traveling to SF that are within 1 mile from your TourGuide/destination. Basically, this will single out those that are from SF, and not show your ad to the locals. The locals might not be your target market (but we don't know test everything).
I thought it's same as regular FB ads... Will check it out rigth now!

Oh by the way... The MONEY is in up-selling those that already took a tour. Grab all their emails and create a custom audience... Re target them with awesome deals for more tours, dinner packages, discounts coupons to local stores etc.
Exactly, that's my ultimate plan - to create site offering best experiences in all fields for cit travelers/city visitors

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
This isn't necessarily related to what you're asking, but will be invaluable to you nonetheless.

Trying to sell to cold traffic via Facebook ads is what Dan Kennedy calls "selling a step too far."

Instead, offer a free report to them that's related to your offer and build trust with them through an email sequence eventually pitching them. This will result in MUCH more effective ads.
TheGrind, thank you for your reply! That's one of the things i want to test - to offer them smng free - either map of the city sights or top 10 things to do in SF or 5 tips to save money as SF visitor, and than offer them our tour. As far is i remember it's cold lead magnet :)

Guys, by the way is there a tool or way to see competition/same niche companies' FB ads?
For example if i want to see ads in google for this or that KW - i simply do the search or use Ad preview tool.
But in FB - how to see ads shown to people traveling in SF?

Last edited:

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
TheGrind, thank you for your reply! That's one of the things i want to test - to offer them smng free - either map of the city sights or top 10 things to do in SF or 5 tips to save money as SF visitor, and than offer them our tour. As far is i remember it's cold lead magnet :)

Guys, by the way is there a tool or way to see competition/same niche companies' FB ads?
For example if i want to see ads in google for this or that KW - i simply do the search or use Ad preview tool.
But in FB - how to see ads shown to people traveling in SF?
Whatrunswhere.com and adspresso.com

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.