The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Welding/Motorcycle Shop

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
Hey everyone,

I am still very new here but wanted to start a progress thread for my Welding business (llc). After reading TMF my eyes have been opened and my mind spun 180 degrees and could not be more thankful for it. Also coming across @IceCreamKid and his thread on carpet cleaning and the blue collar possibilities of the fastlane.

I work a full time welding job during the day and run my business from my home shop at night and on weekends which ranges from repairing broken farm equipment to parts on motorcycles, to complete motorcycle builds ground up, machining and everything in between. I can not stand the thought of working for a company (slowlane) anymore and just being a number, so I have committed to start making changes to allow my adventure to the fastlane to begin!

Firstly I am eliminating some parasitic debt I have to allow me in this next year to walk away from my day gig. I can build budget custom motorcycles monthly to continue my current income at the very least, while most likely I will bring in more cash then that. (I hope) Ebay seems to get the most exposure and allows me to see what is selling and popular in the market.

Second I am reading and learning as much as possible about marketing because I really don't have a ton of customers. It goes from jamming to dead for weeks at a time. I now understand not to chase money but to solve problems and help peoples needs. I struggle to relate this to my job shop welding biz where I do a bunch of different fabrication and repair work rather then a simple niche that I could direct marketing efforts to.

My thought was I always wanted to build bikes for a living and have the welding shop to fund it. Which goes along with the "do what you love" thought that does not necessarily mean you will succeed.

There are no real custom bike shops in my area that do what I do (rake and stretch frames, fabricate hardtail conversions, machine wheel spacers and axles, hand make oil and and gas tanks etc.) That being said there are 4 welding/repair shops in my surrounding area. 1 is staying afloat, 1 is steady and 2 are slammed with work. 2 have no online presence while the other 2 do. These shops don't advertise other then the phone book and maybe a place mat at the local diner. It is by word of mouth and years and years of being around I assume.

One owner works at his shop 2 days a week while the other days his guys run it. I now see he has more than just wealth$ but wealth as in time to do what he wants the other part of his week. That is my goal to eventually have a group of hardworking employees I can trust to take care of my shop.

I have been browsing this website picking up on tips and nuggets here and there. It is a bit overwhelming for me to take it all in but I will continue to grow my knowledge and hopefully my business will benefit from it as well.

I hope this wasn't too long! Thanks for reading. I hope to contribute and help others when and where I can on here. I would be all ears to any suggestions or guidance, good or bad. Thanks in advance!

Eric

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hey everyone,

I am still very new here but wanted to start a progress thread for my Welding business (llc). After reading TMF my eyes have been opened and my mind spun 180 degrees and could not be more thankful for it. Also coming across @IceCreamKid and his thread on carpet cleaning and the blue collar possibilities of the fastlane.

I work a full time welding job during the day and run my business from my home shop at night and on weekends which ranges from repairing broken farm equipment to parts on motorcycles, to complete motorcycle builds ground up, machining and everything in between. I can not stand the thought of working for a company (slowlane) anymore and just being a number, so I have committed to start making changes to allow my adventure to the fastlane to begin!

Firstly I am eliminating some parasitic debt I have to allow me in this next year to walk away from my day gig. I can build budget custom motorcycles monthly to continue my current income at the very least, while most likely I will bring in more cash then that. (I hope) Ebay seems to get the most exposure and allows me to see what is selling and popular in the market.

Second I am reading and learning as much as possible about marketing because I really don't have a ton of customers. It goes from jamming to dead for weeks at a time. I now understand not to chase money but to solve problems and help peoples needs. I struggle to relate this to my job shop welding biz where I do a bunch of different fabrication and repair work rather then a simple niche that I could direct marketing efforts to.

My thought was I always wanted to build bikes for a living and have the welding shop to fund it. Which goes along with the "do what you love" thought that does not necessarily mean you will succeed.

There are no real custom bike shops in my area that do what I do (rake and stretch frames, fabricate hardtail conversions, machine wheel spacers and axles, hand make oil and and gas tanks etc.) That being said there are 4 welding/repair shops in my surrounding area. 1 is staying afloat, 1 is steady and 2 are slammed with work. 2 have no online presence while the other 2 do. These shops don't advertise other then the phone book and maybe a place mat at the local diner. It is by word of mouth and years and years of being around I assume.

One owner works at his shop 2 days a week while the other days his guys run it. I now see he has more than just wealth$ but wealth as in time to do what he wants the other part of his week. That is my goal to eventually have a group of hardworking employees I can trust to take care of my shop.

I have been browsing this website picking up on tips and nuggets here and there. It is a bit overwhelming for me to take it all in but I will continue to grow my knowledge and hopefully my business will benefit from it as well.

I hope this wasn't too long! Thanks for reading. I hope to contribute and help others when and where I can on here. I would be all ears to any suggestions or guidance, good or bad. Thanks in advance!

Eric

Welcome to the fastlane Eric.

I used to weld, fabricate, build chassis for street legal drag cars. I really enjoy creating art from raw materials. I also love the challenge of creative problem solving.

Some things I learned that you may see already. Some of this may help or not...

1) Flash burns and breathing heavy metals is not good for your body. When you are young it doesn't seem to matter. It will matter as you age. I realized at about 40 that I couldn't keep doing this until I was 60.

2) The successful craftsmen, shops, have talent and contracts. They contract with companies for the steady labor work to fund their craft. They market their craft at shows, races, and other public events. Occasionally they get a cable TV show contract(Jesse James, et al)

3) You will work unbelievable hours. You have to answer the phone, do the bidding, do the leg work, order parts and raw materials, pick up and deliver stuff, fabricate and weld, and generally wear yourself out. Then you have to clean up and go to the shows and races to market. You will have to make road trips if you want to be known outside of your area.

4) Most retail customers will want to beat you up on price. Then they want to haggle again after the work is done. Get very specific work order agreements signed in advance.

5) You need CNC equipment to efficiently cut out the latest and greatest designs.

6) You will not make any significant financial progress until you hire employees, good employees, and pay them well. You won't trust ordinary labor guys to work on the craft stuff but you can afford the labor guys. You can't afford the best guys but they are the ones that will bring you more business.

7) Once you get a good employee or two you will have to do what you can to keep them.

I would suggest reading The Four Hour Workweek by Ferris. Don't let the title mislead you, the book is about trying to automate your business rather than actually working four hours/week.

I am sure there is more I forgot and will come out later.

I am not trying to discourage you. I wish you the best and will be glad to help if I can. Good luck.

Last edited:

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
Welcome to the fastlane Eric.

I used to weld, fabricate, build chassis for street legal drag cars. I really enjoy creating art from raw materials. I also love the challenge of creative problem solving.

Some things I learned that you may see already. Some of this may help or not...

1) Flash burns and breathing heavy metals is not good for your body. When you are young it doesn't seem to matter. It will matter as you age. I realized at about 40 that I couldn't keep doing this until I was 60.

2) The successful craftsmen, shops, have talent and contracts. They contract with companies for the steady labor work to fund their craft. They market their craft at shows, races, and other public events. Occasionally they get a cable TV show contract(Jesse James, et al)

3) You will work unbelievable hours. You have to answer the phone, do the bidding, do the leg work, order parts and raw materials, pick up and deliver stuff, fabricate and weld, and generally wear yourself out. Then you have to clean up and go to the shows and races to market. You will have to make road trips if you want to be known outside of your area.

4) Most retail customers will want to beat you up on price. Then they want to haggle again after the work is done. Get very specific work order agreements signed in advance.

5) You need CNC equipment to efficiently cut out the latest and greatest designs.

6) You will not make any significant financial progress until you hire employees, good employees, and pay them well. You won't trust ordinary labor guys to work on the craft stuff but you can afford the labor guys. You can't afford the best guys but they are the ones that will bring you more business.

7) Once you get a good employee or two you will have to do what you can to keep them.

I am sure there is more I forgot and will come out later.

I am not trying to discourage you. I wish you the best and will be glad to help if I can. Good luck.

Absolutely thanks!

1. For sure, safety and breathing protection is a must. I am 30 and have been welding around 15 years. I have had the flash burns on my eyes and bad once on my arms. No joke.

2. I will read up on contracting work.

3. I have been at it for 3 or so years. I work a lot in my shop everyday and know all too well the demands. I have done a few local bike shows and some bigger ones (nyc) and will be looking in to more.

4. I have a welding agreement form I use that was suggested by a family attorney.

5. I have manual machining equipment (mill, lathe, surface grinder etc) and access to a cnc lathe and prototrak mill. They have come in handy for sure.

6/7. I agree. I have a very close friend who practically ran one of the shops in town and now works at another. He would join me in a second. I know you shouldn't work with friends but hes a no bs put your helmet down and work kind of guy. If I take care of him he will take care of me. He also has a mobile setup which we use from time to time. Actually have a mobile job using his welder this week.

I appreciate your time and words. Thank you.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Welcome to the forum. I'm a brick & mortar guy as well. I appreciate your willingness to put in the hours to build the business up to the point at which you can finally separate it from your time. I have the same challenge ahead of me.

That's a great goal. Best wishes, and please keep us updated.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
Welcome to the forum. I'm a brick & mortar guy as well. I appreciate your willingness to put in the hours to build the business up to the point at which you can finally separate it from your time. I have the same challenge ahead of me.

That's a great goal. Best wishes, and please keep us updated.

Will do! Good luck to you also!

Last night I checked out the Score mentoring site and requested a mentor in my area. I am waiting on a reply from them.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
A while back I had a friend of a friend build a website for my shop. Needless to say it was ok but not what I wanted. After trying to work with him and getting nowhere, tonight I decided to find an easy editing site builder and do it myself.

I would say I am nearly halfway done and am very happy with how it is coming out. I have applied some small tips from tmf about making it about the customer and not the business. I feel very relived that I can get my point across and also make changes without needing someone else to rely on. No excuses.

Reading about directing customers to your site is something I was working on. After thinking about it, I wasn't really happy with the site I had so why do I want people going there when my message is not portrayed as I wanted it!

Sometimes you need to just do it! I would post a link with permission if I could to the site when its done. I am always up for suggestions. Thanks!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
A while back I had a friend of a friend build a website for my shop. Needless to say it was ok but not what I wanted. After trying to work with him and getting nowhere, tonight I decided to find an easy editing site builder and do it myself.

I would say I am nearly halfway done and am very happy with how it is coming out. I have applied some small tips from tmf about making it about the customer and not the business. I feel very relived that I can get my point across and also make changes without needing someone else to rely on. No excuses.

Reading about directing customers to your site is something I was working on. After thinking about it, I wasn't really happy with the site I had so why do I want people going there when my message is not portrayed as I wanted it!

Sometimes you need to just do it! I would post a link with permission if I could to the site when its done. I am always up for suggestions. Thanks!

You have a great attitude and a can do spirit. I see no problem with you posting a link for us to take a look. Did you get your own domain?

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
You have a great attitude and a can do spirit. I see no problem with you posting a link for us to take a look. Did you get your own domain?

Thanks! I have the domain that the original site was under. The site I am working on now is under Wix and I can swap the Wix page to the old domain.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Hey everyone,

Eric

Great thread and welcome....Note:- I am not a welder. I am a product designer

Your challenges are real...I am currently in talks with a small start up robot Manufacturer here to collaborate with us in producing a welding booth to aid in the mass production of "many" new stainless steel products. Currently it would cost approx. 80K upfront.

Will never happen.. We are pushing the guy to take a unit fee thereafter to offset initial start up costs. This in effect creates a passive income stream for him and allows me to generate income from day one...

I think we could all do very well out of this....This would be the Richard Branson down side concept....Reduce exposure

It is speculated that so called "hazardous workplace enviornments" will be phased out within 10 yrs due to toxic fumes and associated personal safety risk.

Be a manager, not a worker....Get it right from the offset.

Wishing you success

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
Been super busy lately between the website, jobs, and the current bike I am building. I have been more productive in growing my self and business these last 2 weeks then the last 2 years. From stopping at local shops introducing myself and giving a card (which I should have been doing all along) to the new site to contacting SCORE and so on. After reading TMF it just clicked in my head, now or never. I have also been reading other self improvement books the latest is one from the Rich Dad Poor Dad series which I liked. I honestly feel like a different person just the way I think now. I want better for myself and really do like building relationships with my customers and taking care of them. The last few customers I have worked with my entire attitude has changed. I absolutely always appreciated and respected them but now knowing that truly helping them is what its about. I have done some follow ups with past customers, stirred up some more possible work and just asked how they were. Good feeling.

During the day I have been pretty miserable at the full time job but I know I need to get some things straight before I leave. Not an excuse..everything is in the works including selling some bikes and getting rid of some small debt. I like the guys I work with but I look at them and they have no ambition to go anywhere. Obviously they hate being there but wouldn't even dare to change it. Day in day out same thing. Then they push for Saturdays and they jump at the opportunity.. I get you have a family and bills but I just cringe. 5 for 2 what a deal.. 6 for 1? Why not just make it 7 for none! They have stopped asking me about Saturdays because I refuse. One guy made some cash when he was younger and is well off but at what cost? He is ready to retire. His prime years are in the past. Seeing this on a daily basis makes me push harder at what I need to do. In the past I would snooze or chat on break/lunch with people but those days are done. What a waste. They bust my stones because I am unsociable at break time. In the meantime I am reading and getting smarter and building my knowledge at what I need to accomplish. I always liked to read. Nowadays if your face isn't buried in your phone you are an outcast.

So the last day or so have been a royal pain in the arse. Everything was fighting me.. for example I got an email from SCORE to call them and meet up with a local entrepreneur so I call the number and its no longer in service. Had to get in touch again get the correct number and by that point they were closed. Next I tried getting a hold of my attorney to question about a patent for a part. Tried emailing via his contact website form, wouldn't send, called his number, went to voicemail, inbox full.. click. Then I struggled for 3 hours last night trying to connect my site to new domain. No luck. That was just the tip but when they all add up it's a struggle! But I kept pushing and completed all the tasks. Even though small it is an accomplishment.

In the past I may have said ehh heck with it I will try tomorrow maybe... but I didn't. The stuff I didn't know how to do I youtubed. I feel there is no excuse not to know how to do something. Pickup a book, do a search. Can't get any easier unless you have someone do it for you. It is about being lazy, I know because I have been there. I don't know = I am lazy and don't want to do the work. That's my opinion.

My point is that it isn't always easy you have to push. Go out of your comfort zone. I didn't stop at local shops not because I didn't want to but because it was out of my comfort zone to just walk in somewhere and offer services. By the 3rd or 4th place I am thinking why the hell have I waited this long!?

Felt like ranting thank you lol

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Been super busy lately between the website, jobs, and the current bike I am building. I have been more productive in growing my self and business these last 2 weeks then the last 2 years. From stopping at local shops introducing myself and giving a card (which I should have been doing all along) to the new site to contacting SCORE and so on. After reading TMF it just clicked in my head, now or never. I have also been reading other self improvement books the latest is one from the Rich Dad Poor Dad series which I liked. I honestly feel like a different person just the way I think now. I want better for myself and really do like building relationships with my customers and taking care of them. The last few customers I have worked with my entire attitude has changed. I absolutely always appreciated and respected them but now knowing that truly helping them is what its about. I have done some follow ups with past customers, stirred up some more possible work and just asked how they were. Good feeling.

During the day I have been pretty miserable at the full time job but I know I need to get some things straight before I leave. Not an excuse..everything is in the works including selling some bikes and getting rid of some small debt. I like the guys I work with but I look at them and they have no ambition to go anywhere. Obviously they hate being there but wouldn't even dare to change it. Day in day out same thing. Then they push for Saturdays and they jump at the opportunity.. I get you have a family and bills but I just cringe. 5 for 2 what a deal.. 6 for 1? Why not just make it 7 for none! They have stopped asking me about Saturdays because I refuse. One guy made some cash when he was younger and is well off but at what cost? He is ready to retire. His prime years are in the past. Seeing this on a daily basis makes me push harder at what I need to do. In the past I would snooze or chat on break/lunch with people but those days are done. What a waste. They bust my stones because I am unsociable at break time. In the meantime I am reading and getting smarter and building my knowledge at what I need to accomplish. I always liked to read. Nowadays if your face isn't buried in your phone you are an outcast.

So the last day or so have been a royal pain in the arse. Everything was fighting me.. for example I got an email from SCORE to call them and meet up with a local entrepreneur so I call the number and its no longer in service. Had to get in touch again get the correct number and by that point they were closed. Next I tried getting a hold of my attorney to question about a patent for a part. Tried emailing via his contact website form, wouldn't send, called his number, went to voicemail, inbox full.. click. Then I struggled for 3 hours last night trying to connect my site to new domain. No luck. That was just the tip but when they all add up it's a struggle! But I kept pushing and completed all the tasks. Even though small it is an accomplishment.

In the past I may have said ehh heck with it I will try tomorrow maybe... but I didn't. The stuff I didn't know how to do I youtubed. I feel there is no excuse not to know how to do something. Pickup a book, do a search. Can't get any easier unless you have someone do it for you. It is about being lazy, I know because I have been there. I don't know = I am lazy and don't want to do the work. That's my opinion.

My point is that it isn't always easy you have to push. Go out of your comfort zone. I didn't stop at local shops not because I didn't want to but because it was out of my comfort zone to just walk in somewhere and offer services. By the 3rd or 4th place I am thinking why the hell have I waited this long!?

Felt like ranting thank you lol

Cool feeling to be energized. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. A process, not an event.

If you are still working for someone you may look at this as a test of your character. When you are self employed you will have to do a LOT of crap you don't want to when you don't want to. You are now in that position but working for someone else. If you flake out on your employer and still take the full pay you are, in essence, stealing. Would you want your employee acting like that? You still owe it to him to do the job right or move on.

Go get em.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
Still on track, one day at a time. I am meeting a mentor with SCORE Monday to discuss growing my business and to soak in any knowledge he offers. Have been reading a lot lately and building motorcycles. My goal for the next few months is to get setup to work for myself full time and am very excited about that. My site is roughed out and I have been in contact with a small business that optimizes seo. I realized I can't do absolutely everything my self nor do I know how. It seems more efficient to delegate certain tasks out.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
One thing I forgot to mention. I am debating on adding another name under my LLC strictly for motorcycles to differentiate from the welding and repair work I do. It is kind of like 2 businesses anyway. Has anyone done this before? Always up for thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
As i see it you believe that making a site better than the 2 local competition shops, would generate you more costumers.
if so, what is your plan on dealing with these new costumers?

are you going to answer the phonecalls yourself? or are you going to have a nice looking lady do that?
are you going to show them some previous work you've done in pictures out of a tablet? or are you going to have a small area with pieces of your work?
when they come to your shop what they will see? a one man show with oil stains and sparks? or a nice little office with a window to the side of your shop where employees are working?

have you come with a plan for all these? also have you gone to the shops of occ , or counts customs , to see how they do their business and try to "steal" some ideas from there on how they treat their normal costumers?

you can be small ,but you can easily look and act big!

add value to every step of the way. and you will achieve your goals!

find the value the 4 other shops in your area don't give to their costumers and take advantage of that.

also find the best welders from the other shops and try to make them your employees.

and finally ,reffering to your welder friend , tell him and make him understand from day 1 that he will be a well paid employee, not a partner.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
As i see it you believe that making a site better than the 2 local competition shops, would generate you more costumers.
if so, what is your plan on dealing with these new costumers?

are you going to answer the phonecalls yourself? or are you going to have a nice looking lady do that?
are you going to show them some previous work you've done in pictures out of a tablet? or are you going to have a small area with pieces of your work?
when they come to your shop what they will see? a one man show with oil stains and sparks? or a nice little office with a window to the side of your shop where employees are working?

have you come with a plan for all these? also have you gone to the shops of occ , or counts customs , to see how they do their business and try to "steal" some ideas from there on how they treat their normal costumers?

you can be small ,but you can easily look and act big!

add value to every step of the way. and you will achieve your goals!

find the value the 4 other shops in your area don't give to their costumers and take advantage of that.

also find the best welders from the other shops and try to make them your employees.

and finally ,reffering to your welder friend , tell him and make him understand from day 1 that he will be a well paid employee, not a partner.

As far as the website goes it is a way to show past work etc. I personally would go to one place over another if I can see work before hand. I plan to treat customers better then the competitors anyway I can.

For now working out of my home shop I am limited with having a nice looking secretary and an office but I see your point.

I like the idea of being small but acting big.

Thanks!

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
i am just trying to help.

don't make a site only to show past work. make a site that sells your craft.

make a facebook page of your shop (post photos of upcoming work there)and advertise it to local users, local farming facebook groups , local motorist fb groups etc. (find some members here that do facebook ads and ask them how to make specific targeting with low advertising budget)

clean a corner of your home shop. put a sofa(craigslist) and a table with relative magazines. also put a coffee machine there. and make coffee for free for anyone that comes in your shop.

put your wife or girlfriend answer all the first phonecalls. "You have called John Doe's Welding Shop. What can we do for you?'

put a sign . big and well designed sign.

make a logo

buy shirts and working clothes with that logo.

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
start a brand and then scale (all of the above that i write you may help with that)

also put some photos here of the bikes you make. i would like to see your work.

edit: on the coffee table with the magazines i mention above also put some small stuff like a broken cylinder and a fixed one (great for generating discussion with you)

Last edited:

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I am debating on adding another name under my LLC strictly for motorcycles to differentiate from the welding and repair work I do. It is kind of like 2 businesses anyway. Has anyone done this before?
I've never done it like that, but I've only just begun myself. Haha. If the other LLC allows you to get more business with the alternate name, what do you do when they show up at your home shop? You can't just take down the motorcycle shop sign and put up your welding sign. If you must do both, I'd pick a name & website that displays your dual focus. That seems more "upfront" to me. Otherwise, pick 1 and focus.

I'm curious to see what other input you might receive.

I like the input from @kkompoti regarding the effort to look & act "big". Kinda like the "fake it till you make it" philosophy. I've been spending a lot of time & effort doing just that. I hope it's productive.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
start a brand and then scale (all of the above that i write you may help with that)

also put some photos here of the bikes you make. i would like to see your work.

edit: on the coffee table with the magazines i mention above also put some small stuff like a broken cylinder and a fixed one (great for generating discussion with you)

Great ideas thank you. Most of my cycle projects end up on this frame jig in one fashion or another so I figured I'd throw this in.
IMG_0123.JPG

Attachments

• 13255908_657315327757560_5851393233510343884_n.jpg
    13255908_657315327757560_5851393233510343884_n.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 14
  • erer.JPG
    erer.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 14
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 15
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest
Good work. As someone who has been around the industry it's good to see another on this board.
My best piece of advice for scaling this business it to surround yourself with efficient, knowledgeable workers.

You need to focus on building a dream team of employees with your direction and talent leading the team.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
Good work. As someone who has been around the industry it's good to see another on this board.
My best piece of advice for scaling this business it to surround yourself with efficient, knowledgeable workers.

You need to focus on building a dream team of employees with your direction and talent leading the team.

I like that dream team idea. Finding people better than you are at certain tasks to move forward. I do have a few guys that help here and there and are very good at what they do. (motor work, painting,) It is just getting to the point where I can hire them, and along with all the other fees of having employees.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
Can anyone suggest someone for seo? My site is pretty basic and am sure it could use help. I have looked in to it along with adwords and what not but I feel my time is better utilized elsewhere.

I am also interested in direct sales. I had an ad in a local hot rod/bike flyer for a few summer months with no luck. I have thought about placing an ad in a chopper mag. They are not cheap at all so I would rather have someone that knows what they are doing vs me throwing cash down the toilet. I am not looking for a freebie of any type.

Thanks!

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
I prefer facebook/social media as a funnel to my site. Daily posts of projects. Boosted posts for sales/offers. Constant running ad for likes at $5 a day

I have tried fb ads without success although I reached a good amount of people.

Do you notice big gains from your social media ads?

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece

you should find a way to monetize that good amount of people. for example giving an offer to them via facebook ads.

facebook ads are not only for people to click like on your page.

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest

I focused on a social media campaign hard the last 12-13 months.
Using google analytics to gauge success.

I used quality creative plus specials/sales with simple text on my posts.
The website went from 5% traffic from social media in Sep-Oct of 15 to 30%+ Sep-Oct of 16.

1 quality "sale/special" post a day. I also double that same sale a day or two later as a video.
We then boost my posts to audiences within a certain radius of metro areas within 2 hrs of my location.

I also love highlighting customer sales on FB/IG/Twt. A simple "thanks for your business or congratulations on ____" adds a nice personal touch. It also lets customers who like our page see that these great sales actually exist in real life.

B V Marlon

Connecting Dots
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Oct 29, 2016
UK
I'd also recommend giving Facebook or Instagram a go - especially with with your custom bike projects (they look great BTW). Pics like those are the ones that people will share with their friends, so you'll get at least some free/viral views.

Even if you go down the paid advertising route with social media, your money will go much further than it will with a magazine ad. I've seen better results from social media advertising on a cost per view basis.

Another thing you could try is getting one of your projects featured in a magazine - editors are often looking for new features.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
I focused on a social media campaign hard the last 12-13 months.
Using google analytics to gauge success.

I used quality creative plus specials/sales with simple text on my posts.
The website went from 5% traffic from social media in Sep-Oct of 15 to 30%+ Sep-Oct of 16.

1 quality "sale/special" post a day. I also double that same sale a day or two later as a video.
We then boost my posts to audiences within a certain radius of metro areas within 2 hrs of my location.

I also love highlighting customer sales on FB/IG/Twt. A simple "thanks for your business or congratulations on ____" adds a nice personal touch. It also lets customers who like our page see that these great sales actually exist in real life.

I setup google analytics for my site. Be good to see what helps and what doesn't. Thanks for the input.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.