The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creepy clown trend

kathryn571

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 29, 2014
Just wondering if anyone has plans to profit from the creepy clown trend or is already doing so ? It is not as big here in Australia as yet however i had thoughts about it just recently. Perhaps something that doesn't require a great deal of money to get started. Thanks for the ideas !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Just wondering if anyone has plans to profit from the creepy clown trend or is already doing so ? It is not as big here in Australia as yet however i had thoughts about it just recently. Perhaps something that doesn't require a great deal of money to get started. Thanks for the ideas !
How could you profit on something like that? Is it so massive that you could sell lots of items related to it? Maybe some advertisement to a certain place as it calls attention..but I myself dont see too much of an opportunity

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Trends die hard. Businesses that follow trends die harder.

If you have something special, go for it. If you provide value. Go for it.

I myself wouldn't go down this route.

G

Guest34764

Yes!

Let's use the fact that several clowns have been actual criminals, and then leverage it so we can profit off of the fears of the common people!

Anyone who goes into business using this statement is deplorable, and since it's already been said but needs to be repeated twice, any business that follows a trend will die when the trend dies.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Here's the simplest thing I've seen a guy do to take advantage of this scary clown trend:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1165391697

Basically an iOS game.

It's something I had an "idea" of doing but over thought it and never applied myself... Kills me to see how worthless ideas are and how valuable execution can be

His game is somewhere in the top 20 I believe, so no doubt he's making huge revenue on it too

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Going into business off a trend will make your business a trend.

Think selling leg warmers is a good business?

As Fastlaner's we aren't in business to be here one week, and gone the next.

Now if you're just getting started and need experience and money, trends are fine to pursue. Just make sure you know you're dealing with a limited shelf life, and set a pace for a churn-and-burn.

Here's the simplest thing I've seen a guy do to take advantage of this scary clown trend:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1165391697

Basically an iOS game.

It's something I had an "idea" of doing but over thought it and never applied myself... Kills me to see how worthless ideas are and how valuable execution can be

His game is somewhere in the top 20 I believe, so no doubt he's making huge revenue on it too

Probably the best bet in terms of taking advantage of it -- if the game is good, the game can outlast the trend.

Last edited:

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
A trendy business will make your business a trend.

Now if you're just getting started and need experience and money, trends are fine to pursue. Just make sure you know you're dealing with a limited shelf life, and set a pace for a churn-and-burn.

Probably the best bet in terms of taking advantage of it -- if the game is good, the game can outlast the trend.

Oh right of course, that's an important point I didn't take into consideration. I suppose from the developer's perspective, this could be a great source of capital to finance their time and resources to create something timeless and of more value, they could probably learn a great deal from this launch. Either way that's totally correct @MJ DeMarco, can't ever create a sustainable business model from a passing trend.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

Anything for that quick 50-100k to quit my job and go fulltime business.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Ill make you a "where's waldo" scary clown app,
gimme the art, sounds, etc ill make it 50/50 split :p

p.s.
no really i could do it lol

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Halloween is coming up soon. Sell variants of the scary clown outfits, masks, makeup, etc.

Sell T-Shirts with no-clown motifs, or pro-clown versions, or both. T-Shirts with quotes about clowns, John Wayne Gacy, Ronald McDonals, circus clowns, rodeo clowns, etc. How about "this red clown for president" and "the blue clown for president" variations on the election theme. The options are endless.

Like all things related to Halloween or electoral, they are short lived and cyclical...but they still sell. Wouldn't be a bad addition to the inventory if you were already in that sector.

The app/game is a great idea!

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Let's use the fact that several clowns have been actual criminals, and then leverage it so we can profit off of the fears of the common people!
Anyone who goes into business using this statement is deplorable...
The news media does it every day to get viewers/listeners.
Politicians use fear every couple years to try to motivate people to vote in certain ways.

I guess you're right...they are deplorable.

Last edited:

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio

@MJ DeMarco Could you expand on your leg warmer comment? I read that as sarcasm. I'm guessing these guys would disagree.....
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNHvKmDAJH6XGLbmUhnD8t3SiMRmEw
Thanks

Last edited:

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
I believe I saw a press release by @Vigilante about protecting yourself from clowns. He isn't really profiting from it as much as tongue-in-cheek marketing...but perhaps that's the same thing.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Any time you can get your business into the headlines with a tie in to a major national news story, it creates the chance for SEO related hits and sales. Use current events as catalysts to your own guerilla marketing efforts.

B V Marlon

Connecting Dots
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Oct 29, 2016
UK
I thought leg warmers went out of season in the 1980's!

Perrots

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 20, 2016
Canada
A lot of people came out with the clown spotter app, but i mean after halloween chances of it staying alive are equivalent to winning the lottery

_Seba_

AAA
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jun 24, 2015
Germany
At least there's someone who tries to take a profit from the trend haha

Attachments

• 14963199_1241168535944924_6754387003525300067_n.jpg
    14963199_1241168535944924_6754387003525300067_n.jpg