The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much sleep do you get?

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
Well lately, I have been sleeping only 5 hours and trying to get my body to get used to it. There are days I want to take a nap, but I manage to stay awake the whole day. I have experienced that what you eat, and a lot of exercise also plays a lot in being able to manage a day with minimum 5 hours of sleep. I also stopped eating past 7pm, and I am drinking more water. I also have a couple of more pounds to loose, a good physical image brings me more confident.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
5-7 hrs during night+ a quick nap (not everyday). I excercise a lot, drink a lot of black coffee & water.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
You can try it, but remember: There are no biological free lunches.

I would just figure out how to use your time more wisely.

If you do decide to sleep less, just do a week on/week off. Stagger it somehow.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Get home from work around 1AM, set alarm to 9AM.
so 7-8 hours, but if i wake up before the alarm i just get up.
on weekends i don't set alarm but im actually not happy sleeping 12 hours on weekends lol, i gotta curb that habit.
i got off the night shift about 3 months ago and it took a lot of effort for me to readjust, it was very very tough to get out of bed for awhile.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
4.5 to 5.5 hours. no more no less. if i sleep for 4 hours i will take a power nap during the day for 20-30 minutes.

sleep is vital but nowadays it is difficult to get 7-8 hours (when starting the hustle) afterwards in my 40's i intend to sleep 8-9 hours so on and so forth as age increases...

i drink 1 to 1.5 gallons a day that helps with balance alkaline water at 9.1 and 8.8 ph levels.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
8 hours.

Sleeping less may work for some people, but not me. The whole "grinding nonstop" thing is BS. I've found that the day after those late nights/early mornings my quality of work is a lot lower.

But that's just me. It's all about finding your sweetspot.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

StarKodomo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jan 4, 2015
Ann Arbor, Mi
I usually get about 2~5 hours of sleep a night. I found that if I get more than about 5 hours, I tend to be more groggy the next day.

I believe we are all different though. Some people require less sleep than others. The key is finding what works best for you, for optimal efficiency.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I believe we have another large, heavily debated thread dedicated to sleep.

I sleep 5-6 hours a day. Have been doing so for about 3 years.

As a side note Marcus Lemonis sleeps 5-6 hours a day as well.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/03/why-...rs-a-week-and-works-the-rest-of-the-time.html

I'm at about 8-9 hours. I usually wake up around 9am, but on weekends I actually wake up earlier at 8am for some reason. I don't set an alarm, I just wake up whenever I do.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm at about 8-9 hours. I usually wake up around 9am, but on weekends I actually wake up earlier at 8am for some reason. I don't set an alarm, I just wake up whenever I do.
No alarm here either. Just wake up when my body tells me.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
No alarm here either. Just wake up when my body tells me.
On the the topic of waking up without an alarm.

It seems whenever I tell myself I will wake up at "X" time, i seem to ALWAYS wake up plus/minus 5 minutes of that time

Just had to share

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
Today I started reading one of Trump's books and he tells how he only sleeps 4 hours at night. I started researching on this and came up with this article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-guy-has-only-slept-45-hours-per-day-for-two-years-2013-11

Sleeping less would really increase my free time.

Now I sleep 6-7 hours on average... but I already had period where I only sleep 5hrs by day and I feel very good during this time !!! someday, I only sleep 4hrs by night but in.this case I do a 20mn NAP at the lunch....
I read a lot about polyphasic sleep and it's a concept that inspire me. I create a business now and I have a JOB, so to conbined the two, I will try the polyphasic sleep in the next 3 months to power the launch of my LLC..... :) I will give you return if you want, wathever it's negative or positive.... :)

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015

It seems whenever I tell myself I will wake up at "X" time, i seem to ALWAYS wake up plus/minus 5 minutes of that time

Just had to share

I have the similar thing. Except I usually wake up minus 2-20 minutes. But if I go to bed very late it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Today I started reading one of Trump's books and he tells how he only sleeps 4 hours at night. I started researching on this and came up with this article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-guy-has-only-slept-45-hours-per-day-for-two-years-2013-11

Sleeping less would really increase my free time.

I sleep from 5.30 to 6 hours a night. To acquire this habit took about a month. Winning a habit.

As an entrepreneur I made three hours every day all for me.

This time I read (quick read) study and memorize (by the method of skim programmed Matteo Salvo and mind maps).

You will not miss a second of this time and focus on what I do use Flat Tomato (Time management).

In the intervals of the study or read user Duolingo for English and Peak (Mind Training).

Here's my turn:
1) I wake up without the alarm clock at 4.20 a bit 'before the sound of the same.
2) I check my sleep with Sleep Cycle.
3) I weight.
4) I quickly a balanced protein breakfast.
5) Then I start my series to 40-15-5 (studying or reading - English language and Russian language training or mental - quick refresher of what I read or studied).
6) At about 8:30 am I go to the gym or to run at least 5 times a week.

I am very happy for this winning habit .

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Now I sleep 6-7 hours on average... but I already had period where I only sleep 5hrs by day and I feel very good during this time !!! someday, I only sleep 4hrs by night but in.this case I do a 20mn NAP at the lunch....
I read a lot about polyphasic sleep and it's a concept that inspire me. I create a business now and I have a JOB, so to conbined the two, I will try the polyphasic sleep in the next 3 months to power the launch of my LLC..... :) I will give you return if you want, wathever it's negative or positive.... :)
I tried it couple times, It worked better than I expected at first but after a while I feel like my body began to deteriorate. I began to feel lazy and tired. I think it's a great thing to do occasionally but continuously after a while your body began to shut down unexpectedly. For instance I decided that I am going to sleep for 30 minutes but instead I woke up in like 2 hours after.

I know other persons such as computer programmers who don't seem to get much sleep at all(probably 2 - 3 hours a day). They believed that sleeping 8 hours is an illusion. So they wired their mind over a long period of time to don't sleep much and still do productive work. I would encourage you to still try it because it would be interesting to hear your story and feedback on the polyphasic sleeping methodology .

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016

Just had to share
Yeah, happens to me all the time. It's pretty great too because waking up on your own is much better than waking up to a blaring alarm.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
sleep is vital but nowadays it is difficult to get 7-8 hours (when starting the hustle) afterwards in my 40's i intend to sleep 8-9 hours so on and so forth as age increases...

Don't know if you want to do that as a lifestyle choice but biologically you sleep less the older you get.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Question for those of you that sleep less than six hours a night (@AllenCrawley @StarKodomo @Arun Siva). How would y'all rate the quality of your sleep? Are you following specific bedtime rituals, using really comfortable mattresses, etc?

I can sleep for 8-9 hours but still feel like shit, or get exhausted halfway through the day. And less than 6 can make me loopy or depersonalized. But, I tend to sleep on an aging, saggy mattress and I wake up multiple times throughout the night.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I never count the hours personally.

I fall asleep when I'm tired, and wake up whenever I naturally wake up.

From a business productivity standpoint - I don't know if this is the most productive option. But for health/stress reduction/not feeling tired all day - and I have more mental energy to focus on the tasks at hand.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Question for those of you that sleep less than six hours a night (@AllenCrawley @StarKodomo @Arun Siva). How would y'all rate the quality of your sleep? Are you following specific bedtime rituals, using really comfortable mattresses, etc?

I can sleep for 8-9 hours but still feel like shit, or get exhausted halfway through the day. And less than 6 can make me loopy or depersonalized. But, I tend to sleep on an aging, saggy mattress and I wake up multiple times throughout the night.
Very good sleep. We do we have pillow top mattress with a 3" topper. Very comfortable. I also drink bulletproof coffee every day. Try to eat as paleo as possible. Those two things really help with energy levels.

StarKodomo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jan 4, 2015
Ann Arbor, Mi

I sleep very deep and well. Nothing too special about our mattress though. It is newer (i think), less than 4 years old.

I'm with [HASHTAG]@AllenCrawley[/HASHTAG], I usually start my day with a large black coffee.

Lately though, my wife has been complaining about me snoring. It seems the more tired I am, the louder I snore at night.

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
I tried it couple times, It worked better than I expected at first but after a while I feel like my body began to deteriorate. I began to feel lazy and tired. I think it's a great thing to do occasionally but continuously after a while your body began to shut down unexpectedly. For instance I decided that I am going to sleep for 30 minutes but instead I woke up in like 2 hours after.

I know other persons such as computer programmers who don't seem to get much sleep at all(probably 2 - 3 hours a day). They believed that sleeping 8 hours is an illusion. So they wired their mind over a long period of time to don't sleep much and still do productive work. I would encourage you to still try it because it would be interesting to hear your story and feedback on the polyphasic sleeping methodology .

Ok thank your for your return... :)

Question:

How many time after start the experience did you felt tired ????

To be honnest, me too I think that 8hrs sleep/day is an illusion.... I don't want to lose 10 or 15 years of living in my entire life !!!!! But I'm not sure if polyphasic sleeping method is the solution...

But, Yes I will try it and I will give you my experience !!!!!

See you soon

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Very good sleep. We do we have pillow top mattress with a 3" topper. Very comfortable. I also drink bulletproof coffee every day. Try to eat as paleo as possible. Those two things really help with energy levels.

Thanks! Might be time to adjuust my diet (and start picking up heavy things again). Perhaps the sugary coffee I drink doesn't help either.

I sleep very deep and well. Nothing too special about our mattress though. It is newer (i think), less than 4 years old.

I'm with @AllenCrawley, I usually start my day with a large black coffee.

Lately though, my wife has been complaining about me snoring. It seems the more tired I am, the louder I snore at night.

Thanks! I'm a snorer myself, annoys the gf.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
5-6 on weeknights.

It is one of the worst things about my life that I am truly working to change. My cognitive abilities are so much better on a solid 7-8. I can't right now because of work and it sucks.

Sure, I lose 2 hours, if I sleep more. 2 hours that I can be doing things....but if I can perform better on more sleep...quality of work over quantity.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Ok thank your for your return... :)

Question:

How many time after start the experience did you felt tired ????

To be honnest, me too I think that 8hrs sleep/day is an illusion.... I don't want to lose 10 or 15 years of living in my entire life !!!!! But I'm not sure if polyphasic sleeping method is the solution...

But, Yes I will try it and I will give you my experience !!!!!

See you soon

I would say probably 2 weeks after doing it on a hardcore level without missing no days out. But it all boils down to the task your doing. I don't do a lot of physical work, I mainly use my computer so it was easy. But for someone who is running a huge corporation or a just a small to mid level business it would be pretty hard over a period of time if they have to be there all the time in order to run it.

What I understood is that when it comes on to polyphasic sleeping, it depends on the different types of work that you have to do throughout the day and how much energy it's going to take to complete them. Nikola was a a guy who was known to only sleep four hour days and yet still he was a very great scientist and inventor. So if someone is working on a construction site through out the day, polyphasic sleeping would be very hard.

I wish there were more hours in the day because there is so much stuff I would do with it productively :). But I am grateful for the 24 hours we get. You have to move smart and think critically about how you spend your time. I have studied time management and It has helped me out alot.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.