The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Value a Business?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I'm trying to place a value on an existing E-commerce business. I'm stuck on multiples. The 2 most common methods seem to be a factor of gross sales or a factor of income. Does anyone have any good guidance or references to look at?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
I'm trying to place a value on an existing E-commerce business. I'm stuck on multiples. The 2 most common methods seem to be a factor of gross sales or a factor of income. Does anyone have any good guidance or references to look at?

Check out this article, median is about 2x Revenue. But this is too simple an answer... valuation takes time to do (I do it professionally).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

socalocmatt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Aug 6, 2015
Depends on how easy it is to replicate the business. If it is an ecomm biz with inventory then 2 to 2.5 ODE (officer discretionary earnings, not revenue) plus inventory is the norm. Profitable but replicable? About 1-1.5 ODE. Not profitable yet? Depends on what the books show.

Btw, first post here. So, here's a short intro. I have 16 years exp. running websites and have sold a few. I've definitely have had my failures as well as some great successes. Currently working on a handful more after selling my last big project last March.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've talked to a few people about selling an Amazon business I own and it seems like everyone goes by 1-2x yearly net profit, not revenue.

If there was anyone buying amazon businesses for yearly revenue instead of profit I'd sell in a second :p

fluffhead

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 3, 2015
I'm in the finance world full-time (for now), so may be able to add a bit of perspective. I would suggest looking a comparable companies in the space, not just any regular e-comm business -- something that has comparable sales, assets, inventory, etc. Then, from what I can gather, most e-comm businesses are sold for 1-3x annual sales. If you ask me, that's extremely light, as traditional retailers get purchased for upwards of 8-9x sales. Hope this helps.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I'm in the finance world full-time (for now), so may be able to add a bit of perspective. I would suggest looking a comparable companies in the space, not just any regular e-comm business -- something that has comparable sales, assets, inventory, etc. Then, from what I can gather, most e-comm businesses are sold for 1-3x annual sales. If you ask me, that's extremely light, as traditional retailers get purchased for upwards of 8-9x sales. Hope this helps.
Sales or income?

fluffhead

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 3, 2015
Sales or income?
I've heard of online e-commerce businesses getting 1-2x SALES. Bear in mind that's mainly Amazon businesses. I think if you have actual brand equity and organic traffic/sales being derived from your own platform, that multiple should go much higher IMO. I've heard of anyone basing a multiple off of a net income number.

jmomcc

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 10, 2014
I've been talking to a business owner who wants to sell. Is it OK if I post the details in this thread and see if people come to the same conclusion as I did? I'm trying to learn to become better at this.

Clayton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 9, 2012
San Diego
I'd start a new thread.

I've been talking to a business owner who wants to sell. Is it OK if I post the details in this thread and see if people come to the same conclusion as I did? I'm trying to learn to become better at this.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
It depends on a ton of factors. You'd try to determine how much to pay for it by calculating the total amount of net income from the life of the investment (or just do 30 years out) and calculate the estimated yearly ROI compared to other investments. For a small ecommerce businesses with no big future I would say that the amount paid should be roughly 5x-10x of net income which is the money left AFTER an owner's salary.

The bigger issue is trying to determine if the financials aren't BS. I would avoid buying a small business for that reason alone. Also why is the person selling the business if it makes so much money today? Maybe they know something you don't?

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
Hey @jon.a, I went through this recently - you may find these helpful:

https://www.shopify.com/blog/17642316-how-to-sell-your-ecommerce-business-for-maximum-value
http://www.vandelaydesign.com/how-to-value-your-website-before-selling/
https://feinternational.com/blog/how-do-you-value-an-online-business/
https://jaserodley.com/selling-my-website-business-lessons-learned/
http://wpcurve.com/what-is-my-website-worth/

Some are from the selling perspective and vice-versa but ultimately it's the same theories.

My main opinion is to get as much history as possible and track the trends. If it's volatile, try and learn why it's volatile and what can be done to improve the upward swings and minimize the downward swings.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
There is no value to e-commerce :)

When we speak of value, we mean equity. With physical assets, even those that produce income, there is a back-stop - intrinsic value of the bricks and mortar/replacement costs. If income goes to hell, at least there is that...

However, on-line, income-producing assets have short shelf life. I spoke to a friend who launched another e-commerce platform this year. He is looking at $400,000 of CF for about 8 months out of the year. Adding products to the line-up next year, and thinks he can do $1 mil in 2017. But, the going phrase is: I'll ride the sugar train as long as it goes, but I don't plan on this long-term...

My experience is the same. Real estate income is much more stable than IM. I create internet revenues, but I would not buy them...

Last edited:

Camaro68

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Mar 16, 2017
Twin Cities, MN
I would never buy a business unless you know it inside and out, I mean really eat breathe and sleep it. Also I would never buy one unless there was something you could identify that you could do better for growth. Is there something that they are doing you could change and cut costs immediately to increase net profit? There are just so many variables that can be business or industry specific. What is the competitive advantage? I cant tell you how many times I read a business is for sale because the owner is retiring! Well that can mean a couple things, 1 the owner is 75yrs old and physically cant run the business anymore (then I would wonder why a long term employee, if there is one, wouldn't want to buy it if they knew it was for sale, or another competitor hasn't made an offer) and 2 (and more likely) they are really not going to retire, but if they got the money from the sale they might "retire" as in go do something else because they are burnt out, or the business is struggling and they can see the writing on the wall and want to get out while they can still make a case for the asking price. If I had a business in an industry or market and was getting my but kicked and had been for a couple years, the ship is sinking and I have no idea how to get back in the fight, I'd want to retire too. Take my money and run, leave the problems to some other sucker...

Just giving an example, I'm always leery of someone who is selling to "retire". If the business was running smooth and throwing off tons of cash, who the heck would ever want to retire!?!? Set the business up to run hands-off and collect the checks, continue to do the books and take pride in the fact that you have ran a successful business for years and continue to enjoy doing so. Also for every 10 businesses you look at, maybe, MAYBE one will be worth the time to dig deeper on. The vast majority are overpriced, inflated books, and a broker is pimping the sale. Tons of BS to wade through. Also, the majority of small business owners don't do a good job keeping business and personal financials separate. They just don't run it like a corp. They run it like its the family business and there is a blur between the company checkbook and their own, and that can create a ton of problems, especially as it relates to debt.

The real business to buy is one that the owner DOESNT want to sell. But that's a totally different topic and post. Like I said, always keep in mind, no matter how great it seems, how slam-dunk it looks, if the business was great, making good money, and set up properly, the owner shouldn't have to sell no matter what their age is or health condition. Cavet Emptor

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Obviously there is a multiple based on income. As was stated, there should be a consideration for startup ease and cost. There should also be a consideration for long term viability.

@biophase said something along the line of by the time he did the due diligence, he decided he had enough knowledge to start it himself.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I just saw how old this post is. :)

Alexlewter

Banned - Plaguriser
Jun 6, 2017
Garden city
I believe that it would be great if you could take a look at this book: "The 4 Stepts to the Epiphany" by Steven Gary Blank. It will give you a lot of insights into Business Value and other useful things.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.