The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's the big deal about copywriting?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
In just about every thread, somebody mentions how important learning copywriting is. Copywriting is just making a sales pitch - right? Or is there something more fundamental going on, like understanding how people think?

Or are people working backwards from an ideal pitch to determine what the product should be? I always thought the advertising would be secondary to the product, but maybe that is not the case.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Copywriting is essentially design through writing. Conveying things and evoking emotions and ultimately leading a user/reader to feel and do something at a higher probability than dull writing.

It's important to engage the users both visually and with content.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
In just about every thread, somebody mentions how important learning copywriting is. Copywriting is just making a sales pitch - right?

We 'sell' everyday. Whether that be directly selling a product, or convincing someone to do something for us. Copywriting ultimately helps us make someone more likely to take the action we desire them to take.

Or are people working backwards from an ideal pitch to determine what the product should be? I always thought the advertising would be secondary to the product, but maybe that is not the case.

The product is really what comes first. Using marketing to push a product that doesn't add any value, doesn't make it any better of a product. However if 2 people had to sell the exact same product, the one with better marketing wins.

This article written by fellow forum member @snowbank will give you some great insights : https://foreverjobless.com/how-to-create-a-business-that-prints-money/

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Copywriting actually obeys the Commandment of Time.
Think about it. Customers see your ads, get attracted and buy your product. You took xxx hours to put up a proper sales puller and the copy can be used over a long stretch of time to pull in more and more sales.
Good for use on websites or online newsletters.
Automation!

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
I just spent $10k + royalties of 10% of net profit on copywriting for a product I'm developing, so it's a big deal to me. It's one of those things where you'll have business owners say they're profitable and they just put up some words, and that may be the case especially with a product with very little to no competition, but they'll never know how much profit they're leaving on the table.

I've done split tests and it's eye-opening how much worse my copy performs vs. a pro, despite me thinking I know my shit.

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
I like the way you put it - copywriting is an extremely valuable skill because it does teach you how the average consumer thinks... and like others have said, professional copy DOES make a difference.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head, you can always outsource copywriting if you are too busy to learn. it's basically just a good skill the have in your back pocket.

I'm no pro, but I learned the basics of copywriting and marketing (They're practically one and the same online save metric analysis) and now I'm learning the basics of face to face sales.

Eventually, I should be intermediate enough in both of these skills to market and sell any fastlane venture I want.

Like they say... a great product with bad marketing is dead in the water, but even a bad product will sell if you have great marketing.

Rawiri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 26, 2016
Writing (good) copy requires a person knows the market they are writing to - and knows it well.

Not only their wants, needs, fears, hopes, cliques etc which are often more static...

But also dynamic concerns such as the marketing they've been exposed to up to now on the topic and their beliefs about a potential solution to a problem even being feasible (often influenced by the marketing others have done which we must play off on).

Basically, learning to write copy requires that you learn the market - and learn to put market first. That's the "big deal."

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
somebody mentions how important learning copywriting is. Copywriting is just making a sales pitch - right? Or is there something more fundamental going on, like understanding how people think?

Yes, it's about how people think and motivating them to buy something you offer.

Unfortunately copywriting (and your usual sales techniques, funnels, etc.) is often misused to push mediocre products.

In my opinion, some of it borders on deception -- I think this is why many people push sales/copywriting as a skill because they are NOT interested in providing a superior product. When you know how to manipulate buyer minds, people give you money -- the product suddenly becomes just a side-show attraction.

Last edited:

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
You can learn to change the transmission in your car too, better add that to the list asap!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Yes, it's about how people think and motivating them to buy something you offer.

Unfortunately copywriting (and your usual sales techniques, funnels, etc.) is often misused to push mediocre products.

In my opinion, some of it borders on deception -- I think this is why many people push sales/copywriting as a skill because they are NOT interested in providing a superior product. When you know how to manipulate buyer minds, people give you money -- the product suddenly becomes just a side-show attraction.
Even reviews can be faked! Reviews, a very crucial customer-puller, so horribly misused! I've gotten books that were worth crap even though they had so-called five star reviews. That is why I have to see if the good reviews are more detailed (depicts a more accurate situation) and the bad reviews (what is the product missing?)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.