The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join today.

Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has helped entrepreneurs win their freedom with over 38,000 game-changing posts. Join over 90,000 members and a library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

A Little Challenge: Selling an Old Wooden Piano for More Than "FREE"

Marketing, social media, advertising

piano

Dmin7,8,9,13
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Da-da-da Duuuum!!

@piano is selling his piano??
WHATAATT

But it's true.

Looking at the future, I think I'll do better with a flagship Stage Piano.

The Flagship/Beast in question:
s-l1200.jpg

The MP11SE, weighing a whopping 34KG!!

I'll keep my motivations short:
In the future I'm going to need to practise earlier in the mornings before I start work, but I can't wake up the whole house which will be solved by headphone use in the new E-Piano. Plus I'll finally be able to actually put this thing into my bedroom, not the cellar where the air feels really iffy. There's slightly more, but it doesn't matter for this thread.

The MP11SE costs 2.150€ and I'm going to sell my acoustic piano (bought used for 2.700€) to buy it.

The challenge?
It's perceived as low value since it's a wooden piano, not from a well-known manufacturer, Korean-made (I think they did a great job) and old.

This in turn is going to make it harder to sell. I mean, and this will probably depend on where you are, but just check for used pianos in your area and you're gonna find a bunch of FREE listings for this kind of thing.
Of course there are some wooden pianos that are sold for a lot, but generally they are perceived as lower value.

But the good thing is that all of my other "competitors" (other people that want to get rid of their heavy chunky box) usually only write 1-3 sentences in the description and don't even know what the pedals do.

My rough strategies to get it sold at a reasonable price (Around 2000€):

Amazing pictures, moody and with a good camera (I can borrow a DLSR Camera, also got the lighting stands).

Write an engaging description, listing all facts about the instrument, say it was overhauled in 2021, how much it was bought for, etc.

RECORD the Instrument and its sound and put the video of it up (gotta ask my school for equip tomorrow).

Offer free tryouts.

Distribute Flyers in my city.

Normally things like this look rather grim.
Many people can't even get their old piano out of the house so they list it for free in hopes somebody will just take it with them.
I called today at my original piano shop and they said "Oh, it's an oak piano? Yeah we don't buy these currently".

But I'll try to get a good bang for my buck because it IS a good piano!
And because I need the money.

I'll post updates on here about this.

I hope you'll find it entertaining and perhaps even educational :bicep:

PS: I don't have a picture of my piano right now, but it looks 90% like this:
7551705_P1030864.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piano

Dmin7,8,9,13
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Alright, the first phase is done!
I've put the piano up on Ebay Kleinanzeigen (basically German Facebook marketplace but without the facebook part, so like craigslist? I'm not American so I don't know).

I recorded the video, made the pictures,
1719694519004.png
wrote the listing description, and put everything together.

Problem is just that to look at the video you have to copy paste the link into your browser.
But I think they'll be determined enough to do that.

I also put it for around 3000€ just for now.
Who knows? Maybe someone will just buy it lolol.
I might lower it soon though.
But I wonder, what do I tell them if they ask for how much I bought this piano? I paid 2700€ so telling them that might not be the most sane thing.

I also might retake the video because I think I kinda messed up the tempos (because of recording-hassle + haven't played that piece in a while).

Here's the listing's description in English:
Video Demo Clair de lune: LINK
(You may need to copy and paste the link into your browser's search bar)

The piano was completely overhauled in 2021 before I bought it from the piano dealer. It has no major defects, but three keys in the middle register make small/quiet mechanical noises when struck. These should not be too difficult to fix during the next tuning session.
The piano has been stored in my basement from December 2021 (when I bought it) until now, where the temperature has consistently been between 16°C and 19°C. The humidity has always been between 50% and 70%. The heater has always been 3 meters away.
Thus, the piano has always been in an optimal environment.
Additionally, the soundboard has no cracks.

The piano has a relatively light touch and can be very loud, which is why I always kept a soft blanket on it (making the piano significantly quieter and a bit softer in sound).
The tone color is rather bright, and the moderator pedal ("Soft Piano") makes it very quiet, gentle, and soft.

I am selling my piano because I might be moving in the future and want to switch to a digital piano. Also, practicing in the basement is comfortable for the piano but no longer for me.

You are welcome to come by and try it out.
Feel free to ask if you have any questions or need more pictures.

The piano must be picked up by the buyer or transported by a piano moving company. Additionally, the piano needs to be tuned again. This is generally recommended after moving the piano (at least that's what I was told).

Summary:

Year of Manufacture: late 80's
Brand: Brand
Pedals: Soft pedal, Moderator pedal (felt), Sustain pedal
Height: 118 cm
Length: x cm
Width: x cm
Wood: Walnut

//

Everything in cursive was private information that was removed btw.

Any feedback?

I'll keep ya updated!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!