The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

A Physician Assistant Story (a SlowLaner's dream)

DougieFresh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 25, 2023
NYC
Hey I wanted to post this here to see if there were others like me, in the medical field, searching for a way out, or at least a leg up.

I've always been a top notch problem solver and it really makes you feel good inside when you are able to help another human being.

That's why the career of physician assistant (PA) seemed so attractive all of those years ago. Just google "top jobs in demand"

The pitch: Do a quick stent in school/rotations and begin working (along side another physician) and start helping people without the lengthy years of training commitment that a doctor's path would require. All they ask is your pious commitment to your studies and 100K+ incurred in student death debt.

Sounds too good to be true? Well I would say maybe...

Yes, you have a instant pathway to a near six figure salary out of school.
Yes, you will get the job satisfaction, 401K, and benefits you've been dreaming about all those years leading up to.

However,

NO: you do not have total control over your work schedule, way you choose to practice, you do not enjoy the same autonomy as a physician.
NO: you won't be able to pay that student loan off in 5 years (with a family to support and taxes, savings for retirement + you need to live)
NO: you cannot go on PTO anytime you feel like it (you are expected to cover any gaps in the schedule and get permission to go 6 months ahead of time)
NO: you cannot have a 9-5 schedule (medical emergencies don't care what time of day it is)

To top things off we cannot operate our own clinic, a physician would need to sign off and be a partial owner.

I could easily go on. The people who stay in this role either really love what they do (which I do) or they see no other option at this point, the lifestyle requirements and debt obligations own them. Or a combination of both (i.e. most PAs)

I understand that we need these level of providers as doctors are becoming fewer in number and now only specialty care. However, legislators are constantly put up blockades when PAs try to expand their autonomy (thanks AMA)

After reading FL and starting to read Unscripted , I've learned to stop complaining and to finally stop playing a rigged game.

I now recognize so many opportunities to improve our health care system and if I can't do it as PA, I will do it as an entrepreneur. Not saying I will quit tomorrow or anytime soon, I do think I can somehow ramp things up and still work

I also enjoy dropping tidbits advice to my son and the next generation of leaders to address what is just a major failure of our educational system to prepare our kids for life and make them contribute to the general improvement of our society. It makes me feel good when I see that there are now financial literacy courses being taught in high school, I just think it needs to start in pre-K.

Anyhoo, I look forward to the one comment I will probably receive in response to this post.

-DF out

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hey I wanted to post this here to see if there were others like me, in the medical field, searching for a way out, or at least a leg up.

I've always been a top notch problem solver and it really makes you feel good inside when you are able to help another human being.

That's why the career of physician assistant (PA) seemed so attractive all of those years ago. Just google "top jobs in demand"

The pitch: Do a quick stent in school/rotations and begin working (along side another physician) and start helping people without the lengthy years of training commitment that a doctor's path would require. All they ask is your pious commitment to your studies and 100K+ incurred in student death debt.

Sounds too good to be true? Well I would say maybe...

Yes, you have a instant pathway to a near six figure salary out of school.
Yes, you will get the job satisfaction, 401K, and benefits you've been dreaming about all those years leading up to.

However,

NO: you do not have total control over your work schedule, way you choose to practice, you do not enjoy the same autonomy as a physician.
NO: you won't be able to pay that student loan off in 5 years (with a family to support and taxes, savings for retirement + you need to live)
NO: you cannot go on PTO anytime you feel like it (you are expected to cover any gaps in the schedule and get permission to go 6 months ahead of time)
NO: you cannot have a 9-5 schedule (medical emergencies don't care what time of day it is)

To top things off we cannot operate our own clinic, a physician would need to sign off and be a partial owner.

I could easily go on. The people who stay in this role either really love what they do (which I do) or they see no other option at this point, the lifestyle requirements and debt obligations own them. Or a combination of both (i.e. most PAs)

I understand that we need these level of providers as doctors are becoming fewer in number and now only specialty care. However, legislators are constantly put up blockades when PAs try to expand their autonomy (thanks AMA)

After reading FL and starting to read Unscripted , I've learned to stop complaining and to finally stop playing a rigged game.

I now recognize so many opportunities to improve our health care system and if I can't do it as PA, I will do it as an entrepreneur. Not saying I will quit tomorrow or anytime soon, I do think I can somehow ramp things up and still work

I also enjoy dropping tidbits advice to my son and the next generation of leaders to address what is just a major failure of our educational system to prepare our kids for life and make them contribute to the general improvement of our society. It makes me feel good when I see that there are now financial literacy courses being taught in high school, I just think it needs to start in pre-K.

Anyhoo, I look forward to the one comment I will probably receive in response to this post.

-DF out
Yes, you have recognized that you have a wonderful pair of fuzzy golden handcuffs in your profession. They are comfortable enough to keep wearing, but too tight and restrictive to escape. It's those pesky rules coupled with the perks and income that have you trapped. Do you really want out? What do you really want to do?

Now, let's look at the other side of the situation. You have a fabulous education and an opportunity to help a lot of people. You are smart and self-directed. You have the respect of your peers and a good life.

Now, drum roll, please... Life a wise man told me when I graduated from law school when I was in my mid-40s, "It's your education. You can do whatever you want with it.?" That puts the ball back in your court.

augmsweden

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 17, 2023
Doctor here, and just as you I am realizing that it's very easy to get "stuck" in this life. Very rewarding job, yes - but you will have to keep working 8-5 Monday to Friday your entire life just to pay the bills and loans. The ideal position would be to have your Fastlane business as the "backbone" - a machine that pays for your lifestyle while being able to work as a PA/doctor because you want to.

I have started looking at solving needs outside the medical field and am currently planning on starting my first business. Exciting and a bit scary tbh. But remaining in the Slowlane until I'm 70 is even scarier. If you choose to focus your ventures on the medical sector there is a ton to do - good luck!

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...