The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Age just a number?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Age is not always equal to experience and experience is not always equal to age.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
If it's nothing would you trade to be 25 yrs versus 20 yrs old (not a literal situation), all else being equals even your "looks", except you HAVE a college degree? But you gain skills in Finance (or something employable)

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My answer is "sort of". When you are very young in your 20s, you have far less life baggage than you will have as you hit 40 or 50 and beyond. I don't think it is an excuse to not do things, but it does mean some of those things may be more difficult. I have more life experience but also more fears at 40 than I ever did at 20 or 25. I feel the sands of time running down much faster now than I did in my 20s.

Sue

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Opinions below.

I have the baggage of a 25 year old. Some 25 year olds have the baggage of a 55 year old. Everything comes down to your decision making, and the consequences of those decisions.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If it's nothing would you trade to be 25 yrs versus 20 yrs old (not a literal situation), all else being equals even your "looks", except you HAVE a college degree? But you gain skills in Finance (or something employable)

I don't understand this question. Is it would you rather be:

20 and have a college degree vs. 25 and no degree?

If everything else is equal, I would rather be 20 again.

Because for us old people, we know that the only thing that you cannot 100% control is declining health and physical skills.

When I was younger I always remembered sportscasters would talk about how this 32 yo athlete just signed a long term contract. They would say "he's 3 and signed a 5 year deal." and talk about how it was a bad signing. I never understood that until I became older. Now I understand why people are looking at Kobe and saying his skills are starting to decline! He's old!

You will find that the first thing to go is speed. The next thing to go is explosive power. Your recovery periods are alot longer. Also, you recover alot slower from being sick, a cold last almost 2 weeks instead of a few days.

So all things being equal, I would love to go back to 20 so I can play ball every night and not be sore for days after.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Who cares? Either you can bring it or you can't. Stories abound about teenagers making millions, and 80 year olds making it big. Hawking is pretty successful and his health is crap, Jobs still did good stuff even after his cancer diagnosis. I know a lot of broke people with 5% body fat that can run for 3 hours straight. There aren't any good excuses. Quit looking for them. If you want it bad enough you will find a way, if you don't you will find an excuse.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Age should just be a number. Unfortunately, the major of people in society are conditioned to define themselves by their age the same way they define themselves by their race. As with everything, it is all mindset.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Being one of the elderly people on this forum I can say that in my case the climbing of the years has helped me to become more focussed, more determined to succeed with my projects.
I have a higher sense of urgency than 20 or 10 years ago.

DuPont

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 24, 2011
"There aren't any good excuses. Quit looking for them. If you want it bad enough you will find a way, if you don't you will find an excuse." Couldn't have said it any better myself

nuwav

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Mar 4, 2011
London, UK
The simple answer is yes. Some people knows what they want at an early age and become successful. Others don't become successful until later in life. It's all about having the right knowledge, having the right skills, having the right experiences, meeting the right people, making the right choices. You'll get there no matter what age you are. As long as you try thats all that matters.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
You will find that the first thing to go is speed. The next thing to go is explosive power. Your recovery periods are alot longer. Also, you recover alot slower from being sick, a cold last almost 2 weeks instead of a few days.

They told me this too, and I didn't believe, and now I feel it, but I still don't want to believe it. I'm working out harder than ever and going against the current. Not easy but worth it.

Lights, 20 is better than 25, definitely.

College is also cool, if you're not totally busy with something else. Sex, parties, friendships - with some cool people that may forever be your friends, but also some who can be your business connections - and you might even learn something depending on what you study. Professors are also often mixed with business world, as experts are in demand, so they can be your door to whatever deals you look for, and can hook you up with the right people.

AND you can give it up at any time if something more important comes up, and tell yourself that so many rich people gave up college.

So my proposal for you is - YES, be 20, and YES go to a college of your interest, nothing to lose, much to gain:)

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
There aren't any good excuses. Quit looking for them. If you want it bad enough you will find a way, if you don't you will find an excuse.

Even if it seems like an important question on the surface, I believe it really is irrelevant. If your going to do something then you just have to do it. The cards your are dealt in life, your age, etc. really cant get in your way. It takes no more than 10 years to make all the money you'll ever "need", after that its a numbers and frills game, from what I have seen.

ideapad

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 19, 2012
I think for business, age does not really matter too much. It is all about motivation and attitude. In case, the job requires a bit of a "young spirit" - I mean for advertising purposes or the like - there are ways to make yourself "younger" for that. The cosmetics industry has answers to wrinkles and so on...so why not use them? A bit of makeup AND A REALLY SPAMMY LINK and everything is fine.

Ideapad:

Two spam links have been pointed out in your recent posts. Any more, and you'll be banned.

Last edited by a moderator:

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
The biggest thing about age...is that physically you can do more and recover more quickly when you are younger...unless you are a genetic freak...or a professional athlete who takes steroids...steroids work! But the side effects are terrible!

People always say, you are only as old as you feel

I find if you are HAPPY, you always feel better

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
My experience the older you are the less you care what others think.

The less drama in your life, or at least you really don't get involved with it.

It feels GREAT!

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Anyone who is worried about the decline of health and good looks because of old age and is willing to switch to be younger should read the chapter on FEARS in the book Think and Grow Rich. It's one of the 6 basic fears that you should get rid of to live a truly enjoyable life.

jessica_david

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Mar 15, 2012
Alll depends upon health & fitness, there are many who remain fit even crossing 80s-90s but along with them there are many who come to bed rest just at the age of (sometimes less then) 40-50.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I wish I was 20 again because I would do exactly what im doing now back then. And MJ, i love your post about baggage. I am in a position to keep my baggage the way it is and plan to do that.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
"They say age is just a number, but I'm pretty sure that it's a word!"

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I recently had a former classmate, very nice smart girl with two kids, just die of cancer at the age of 29....it does shake you up a bit when this happens. Age my be irrelevant to success but it does start messing with you psychologically....one day your like....shit better make some stuff happen and start living. No one has any guarantees of making it to 72 or whatever the number is although we all like to think we do when we are 20.

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
With 26 now I can say, that I recovered much better when I was 20. It is insane when you think about it.

Age IS a number when it comes to physical things, but you can prevent it by regular working out, as we all know. I feel that expectations grow with age. Although I try not to care much about them, I notice the subtle comments from my family about building an own family. I just don't plan to have my own family now. I first want to built something, I can then support a family with later. Without that, it makes no sense to me.

In the end you have to do, what feels right to you.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
There is age and maturity.

Age is a number used to track the lifespan of a person. Maturity is a concept impossible to quantify, but has to do with life experience and the weight each experience has.

A 12 year old child who survived a Nazi concentration camp will probably be more mature than a 40 year old who has never left their hometown.

We use our minds when it comes to someone's age, but we feel maturity. Maturity overwrites age, which is why young people have never had any disadvantages outside self-imposed limits within their own heads.

If you want more maturity, seek out life experiences.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
which is why young people have never had any disadvantages outside self-imposed limits within their own heads.

And laws regarding minors and business in the US :), and the fact I can't legally sign into a contract, but there is always a way around this, just takes a lot more work than you adults have to do!

cants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 10, 2011
Depends

Experience > Age

Your age is nothing if you lack experience. I'd rather be a 20 year old with 5 years of entrepreneural experience than a 40 year old with no business experience.

However, if you're talking about how you look, it aint a number. You definitely have the advantage if you're 25 than when you're already 40. Your market shrinks when you reach late 20s, at least in my experience :)

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
The problem I see is that people get more and more inflexible as they age. They get so set in their ways, and their beliefs get cemented in their brains, no matter how limiting or not. You dont really have to be optimistic other than having the ability to be open to and try new things. Health and what you put in your body is very important. A little bit of poison added everyday will add up. I know 30 year olds that look like they are 50. Change and the need to find something better in my opinion will keep someone young, but while maintaining a healthy body.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.