The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An Idea, Need Help Realising It

Idea threads

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Hey Guy's,
Yea I know another idea thread But I came up with this after coming back from my cousins funeral and thought it warrented attention.

The Idea
A website that sells custom T-shirts and other merchandise, using the pay-what-you-want model (simlier to HumbleBundle) with a minimum price to cover basic costs such as: artist commissions, donations, website expenses and production costs. A percentage of the money made goes to a charity of the buyer's choice.

I had also thought about starting my own charity.

I've done a quick Google search and haven't found anything as of yet that I would consider direct competition, Now I am aware that the tees businesses is a crowded one but I think this idea could work based on the principle that many people give regularly to charity, so why not give to charity but get cool tee shirts instead of just 'good feelings'.

You don't have to validate my idea, that is fine. But it would be great if I could get some help in the right direction.

Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I wouldnt touch this if I were you, will cost way too much to build and market.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
I wouldnt touch this if I were you, will cost way too much to build and market.
Well even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear you were honest so I appreciate that.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
@SmoothFranko, are you interested in starting a social enterprise or did you just think about the charity aspect because you wanted to base your model on HumbleBundle?

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
@SmoothFranko, are you interested in starting a social enterprise or did you just think about the charity aspect because you wanted to base your model on HumbleBundle?
This has come about partly due to the loss of my cousin to cancer and my own personal and families experience with charities so I thought it'd be a great way of giving to charities that do a great job like Child's Play and give back to people by giving them cool custom design tees, I have an artist friend that I was going to talk about doing designs. but I wanted to see what people though on here before I invested anything.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Two books that will give you some good ideas how to set up a social enterprise:

Evolved Enterprise by Yanik Silver (only available here)
Screw Business as Usual by Richard Branson

They both cover a lot of different examples of businesses being a force for good.

I would start with narrowing down what charity/issue you want to tackle and then come up with a business that would have it baked in in its offer. For instance, if you want to support Child's Play then you can consider starting a business serving parents/kids (e.g., buy a toy, donate $1 to Child's Play).

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Two books that will give you some good ideas how to set up a social enterprise:

Evolved Enterprise by Yanik Silver (only available here)
Screw Business as Usual by Richard Branson

They both cover a lot of different examples of businesses being a force for good.

I would start with narrowing down what charity/issue you want to tackle and then come up with a business that would have it baked in in its offer. For instance, if you want to support Child's Play then you can consider starting a business serving parents/kids (e.g., buy a toy, donate $1 to Child's Play).
I see what you mean MTF Cheers, I'll take a look at those books. I had thought of targeting testicular cancer as it is most common among men between the ages of 20 to 34-years.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe approach charities and see if you can work with ONE of them to do this for just them?

Check out the first quote in my signature.

Also check out:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Theres a better easier and cheaper way do help charities without building a huge website system like you proposed. Like MTF mentioned you can just donate X amount to a charity

Example:import a custom design teddy bear and sell on amazon and donate $2 per sale to the charity.

You can market it on instagram/facebook and get people to spread the word for you. But dont build your own infrastructure if I were you

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Theres a better easier and cheaper way do help charities without building a huge website system like you proposed. Like MTF mentioned you can just donate X amount to a charity

Example:import a custom design teddy bear and sell on amazon and donate $2 per sale to the charity.

You can market it on instagram/facebook and get people to spread the word for you. But dont build your own infrastructure if I were you
Do you think I should scrap the t-shirt idea? in favor of a product that would suit that age group? and if so do you have any product suggestions?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@SmoothFranko

I had thought of targeting testicular cancer as it is most common among men between the ages of 20 to 34-years.

This is a great mission. When you have a North Star like that, then everything else should fall into place.

Don't "build a website".

Don't "build" anything.

Think about who you're helping, and what you're helping them with.

Start there.

Read this post if you haven't done so already:

Now re-read your opening post.

Also read this post:

Now answer this question:
  • Who can I help THIS WEEK?

Last edited by a moderator:

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
@SmoothFranko

This is a great mission. When you have a North Star like that, then everything else should fall into place.

Don't "build a website".

Don't "build" anything.

Think about who you're helping, and what you're helping them with.

Start there.

Read this post if you haven't done so already:

Now re-read your opening post.

Also read this post:

Now answer this question:
  • Who can I help THIS WEEK?
Thanks Andy, my cousin's memorial really showed me the damage caused when such a young dude ( he was 30) is taken so suddenly and everyone is left so powerless. Sitting with my family and extended family and seeing how distressed they were made me really sit and think. My cousin was on of the nicest and happist people you would meet and his untimly death really left a hole in the people he left behind, so on the way home I suddenly had this idea and thought that I could do something to honour his memory and help others.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy, my cousin's memorial really showed me the damage caused when such a young dude ( he was 30) is taken so suddenly and everyone is left so powerless. Sitting with my family and extended family and seeing how distressed they were made me really sit and think. My cousin was on of the nicest and happist people you would meet and his untimly death really left a hole in the people he left behind, so on the way home I suddenly had this idea and thought that I could do something to honour his memory and help others.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Use this to help others. Do it at scale sir.

Read this thread and check out @TheDamageUndone's comment in post 10 in particular:

Want to know what fires me up? Read this thread:

I helped a man. A man on the edge... a man staring into the abyss.

I want to keep helping people, and I'm driven to do it at scale.

I can't NOT do it, and that's the best reason to do anything.

Consider the second quote in my signature: "Money is proof you helped your fellow man."

Have faith, and start by helping someone.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011

This is the beginning of your story and the legacy of your cousin. Make it the main "reason why" for your company. Many people here think mostly in terms of profits (I think @Andy Black is changing it for some of them), but if you have a deeper meaning, you'll be unstoppable.

Your story will resonate with many people, and the company you can build based on this story can help save lots of lives and prevent the suffering of so many families. If that's not a powerful source of motivation to start a business, I don't know what is.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm in.

Let me know if you need help with AdWords and/or marketing and/or whatever else I can help you with.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
This is the beginning of your story and the legacy of your cousin. Make it the main "reason why" for your company. Many people here think mostly in terms of profits (I think @Andy Black is changing it for some of them), but if you have a deeper meaning, you'll be unstoppable.

Your story will resonate with many people, and the company you can build based on this story can help save lots of lives and prevent the suffering of so many families. If that's not a powerful source of motivation to start a business, I don't know what is.
I want to believe that I can do this, not just for my cousin by for myself.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want to believe that I can do this, not just for my cousin but for myself.
Believe. Have faith in yourself because your mission is bigger than you. It's no longer about you and what you want. @MTF is right. You have a story. It will resonate. Others will join your cause and/or help you.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
Believe. Have faith in yourself because your mission is bigger than you. It's no longer about you and what you want. @MTF is right. You have a story. It will resonate. Others will join your cause and/or help you.
I hope your right man, I joined a cancer support forum today to hopefully get a better understanding of peoples experiences I've started thinking about potential products that would appeal to the target auidance assuming that I should be targeting males aged 18 -35 , To your previous post about picking a particular charity to support I thought about the Movember Foundation, now just need some product ideas maybe fake Moustaches haha

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.