What's new

An introduction to my experience

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

maxlane

New Contributor
I got the idea that I wanted to be rich when I first heard Jim Rohn talk in 2009. That convinced me that it was actually POSSIBLE to become rich. But my greatest problem, as I saw it back then, was that I was horribly incompetent at social stuff so it was stopping me a great deal. I decided that if I a) ever wanted to seduce a woman and b) ever wanted to get rich then I had to c) learn how to interact with people.

Maybe it was completely off the edge, but I didn't have anyone who could point me in any kind of direction back then so I just followed the path that seemed the most promising for me. But what I decided was that getting into "selling" was probably a very good thing to do in order to gain social skills that would help in everything else.

I remember that first time that I knocked on a door in the neighborhood and how it opened and I was shaking because I had no idea what to say. But I said "hi" and then I did the "intro -> short story -> impulse -> close thing" just as I learned it on the morning meeting before we went out into the field. And it made me feel good. It felt good because I was overcoming a handicap I had in talking to people. But it was also very hard.

I kept going for months. Mainly because I had that belief that what I was doing was making me better at talking to people in general. I did that for months. It took maybe about 6 months to come to the point for me that I could say with confidence that my fear was completely gone. I was out in the field 6 days a week from 1 oclock to 8 oclock knocking on doors and doing that routine (I guess that I also figured out that I could get rid of my fear and get paid for doing it at the same time, so it was even better).

It was back in 2009. But in 2010 I felt completely burned out. It was like "I'm done with this. I don't want to put myself through this anymore." So for about a year I was just floating around. I still felt that I learned a lot and I gained in experience but I wasn't really getting anywhere financially. Selling like that was very hard and it was not making much money at all. It was just very hard.

By the end of 2010 I ended up in another "selling job" and then I found a consulting job where I got to sit and program all day in front of a computer. I was very happy and it felt like finally being able to take a break from all the "social interaction". But it was horrible in the fact that it was a "job" and all the people there were completely "run over" and the level of motivation in the common employee seemed to be almost non existent. They were all just there because they had to "go to work" every day at 8 oclock, work for 8 hours, give away everything they have produced, get some money for it and then go home and just wait for the next round of the same thing and repeat it all over again.

I was longing after "the field" after the excitement of the idea that one could "sell anything to anyone" - to anyone at all. That person walking down the street could be sold something. Not that I knew how I could do that - cause obviously I would have done it then. But the idea was there.

So in the first half of 2011 i was back out on the streets. But this time I found a company that was selling a really good product that I thought that I could make good money selling. But I once again made the mistake of asking for a job there (which I got) but I was longing to start my own thing and be on my own so my employment there only lasted about three months. Then I was out on my own again. But this time I was selling their products - but as an independent retailer instead of an "employee".

I learned that I had to ask good prices and sell stuff to the customers for the "market price". I learned that good prices could be negotiated but I didn't quite know how. The best discount that I got was 45% from a supplier for products that I did not even know where to market and how to seel high volumes of. But from that company where I preciously worked I only got 15%.

But in this business I could go out and "rake in" $14000 per week! But we all know of course that "raking in" 14000 does not mean that you can keep all of it. Most of that money was spent on paying taxes and paying the suppliers. And most of it was probably made doing the things that I have learned from that previous employer who was extremely successful at selling things. So that's how it always seems to be - I take jobs, but I'm not committed to them because I'm only there to learn how to run my own business more successfully - and so that I can finally quit working at other people's offices and have my own. But at the same time I feel that I want to be able to do everything right and not have to wonder where the next sale will come from.

That's what I'm here to learn. I also want to learn advertising, copywriting and selling stuff. I have always wondered how a guy next door can buy a house with a pool "selling stuff" and how the same guy can buy a limousine. I want to learn what they are doing that makes such things possible - but I would probably buy a more powerful computer or a datacenter instead of a house, and I would have absolutely no use for a limousine. But nonetheless I still want to have it as an option ;)

That's my story.

PS. I'm once again in the position where I'm thinking to take a job because simply I think I would make more money that way instead of trying to sell stuff myself. I need some tips QUICK about how I can sell more of the products that I have good potential margins on so I don't have to take any more jobs. ;)

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom